• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wreck-It Ralph Director Wants to Put Mario in Possible Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
yotsubafanfan wrote:
When I went to see the movie in theatres for the first timespoiler[ I was actually shocked to see that King Candy was Turbo] and things really don't suprise me a lot.

Heh, I didn't even THINK of those being based on Sonic Sez :p As for spoiler[the Turbo thing, I was VERY surprised too!! I mean, it was a back story used, but was pushed to the back of everyone's minds with the rest of the story going on. Bravo for a great plot-twist!]

Not trying to sound like a know it all here but spoiler[the King Candy is actually Turbo thing had so many hints. First, out of all the characters in Sugar Rush, Candy is the ONLY one to recognize Ralph right off the bat. And then he goes into the whole "You're not going Turbo are you?" thing. I got the impression that Sugar Rush was a recently added game. I make this point because Felix had to explain to Sgt. Calhoun what "Going Turbo" meant.

Then there's the scene where he messes with the Sugar Rush mainframe. What I got from this scene was that Candy had been around for a while if he knew how to do that.]

Don't take the above as "Shame on you for not getting it sooner" or anything, I'm just explaining how I came to that conclusion.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
So I did finally see the film, and yeah wow, how more unsympathetic to Sarah Silverman's character could I be. Don't get me wrong, I found the set up of their world and the way they all interact and travel to be interesting and unique, but spending half of the runtime in candy coating stickiness having to "care" about some brat made me check my watch a few times. Jane Lynch and the 30 Rock Guy were welcomed comic relief from, well...boredom.

Of the kid movies I've seen this year, I can say Brave and ParaNorman had really strong messages to drive home, but I can't see one here. Is it just riding success on being about vidya gaems and tickling everyone's retro bone for arcades and high scores? From box office sales, it seems like ParaNorman wasn't seen too much, that's a shame.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Crispy45 wrote:
That's one reason I can't get into US movies x_x The characters just feel like celebrities or bad impersonations of them. Plus the writing tends to just be aimed at little kids and safe and predictable.

But these movies ARE for kids. "Family" movies, yeah, but still what kids movies have become. 2D animation is a rarity now. Plus even in anime there are MANY music idols that play characters. They're celebrities playing roles...

Crispy45 wrote:

I do find it kinda sucky that even the 'biggest' cartoon VAs like Tara Strong or whoever else is one can't land roles in movies. I mean I hate Tara Strong with the force of a 1000 suns for her annoying brony attitude, but still you'd thing someone like her could land a role in a Dreamworks/Disney/Pixar movie or something. >_>

You say she "can't land roles in movies" but does she even WANT to? For a person who does A LOT of voice roles, it sounds like she has a decent amount of work already. Not everyone needs, or wants to make the jump to movies.
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to see Megaman, and a little more of Sonic and Ryuu, but what I really want is Pokemon!! Unfortunately it isn't known for being in arcades. Can we make a story where Ralph goes to console games? ^^
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:04 am Reply with quote
Jeikobu wrote:
Can we make a story where Ralph goes to console games? ^^

Someone above quoted the guy as saying that's what he plans for the sequel.

I haven't seen this yet, but the trailer had me at "Q*bertese".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3