• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto, Fairy Tail, Occult Academy Leaked Before Airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NarusakuvsSasusaku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Maruna wrote:
That's quite bizarre. Naruto and Occult Academy are next-week episodes

Eh, Naruto Ship. 169 airs on the same date as 168, the 15th, because of the delay...

--------
Well don't the companies have to send the episodes to the broadcasters to be "broadcasted" or streamed? Maybe it was then? But, of course I don't know how the anime business works. Maybe someone hacked TVTokyo's systems and stole the files. They had to have the episodes before they broadcasted, right?
sogekihei-neko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
sogekihei-neko wrote:
They said it was a Tengu. Tengus have supernatural powers ya know. Cool

This is my favorite comment of the thread. From now on, all unfortunate incidents in the anime industry should be blamed on mischievous tengu.

Makes sense to me!

(Honestly, more sense than everyone else who seems to be blamed when this happens. Of course, we could just blame Canada and call it quits)
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
NarusakuvsSasusaku wrote:
Well don't the companies have to send the episodes to the broadcasters to be "broadcasted" or streamed?

Since Crunchy does not do the subtitling, a leak of the files uploaded to Crunchy would likely to include the subs.

Sam Pinansky subs two of these, Viz subs one, Occult Academy is not listed, but a simultaneous leak from two or three different subtitlers seems unlikely.

If getting an episode delivered to the broadcaster is part of getting paid, it would not be surprising to send it as soon as the broadcast cut is finished. All four of these are TV Tokyo & Friends broadcasts, so a disgruntled employee in the lower levels of a broadcaster would be one possible source of a leak.

But if the shows are sent in digital format to TV Tokyo or one of the other broadcasters over digital cable crossing a mountain ... I'd have to agree that a mountain tengu is the most likely culprit.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
NarusakuvsSasusaku wrote:
Well don't the companies have to send the episodes to the broadcasters to be "broadcasted" or streamed?

Since Crunchy does not do the subtitling, a leak of the files uploaded to Crunchy would likely to include the subs.

Sam Pinansky subs two of these, Viz subs one, Occult Academy is not listed, but a simultaneous leak from two or three different subtitlers seems unlikely.

If getting an episode delivered to the broadcaster is part of getting paid, it would not be surprising to send it as soon as the broadcast cut is finished. All four of these are TV Tokyo & Friends broadcasts, so a disgruntled employee in the lower levels of a broadcaster would be one possible source of a leak.

But if the shows are sent in digital format to TV Tokyo or one of the other broadcasters over digital cable crossing a mountain ... I'd have to agree that a mountain tengu is the most likely culprit.

All subtiling subcontractors like me, whether hired by TV Tokyo or Crunchyroll, receive watermarked videos to do translation from.

I do not have access to unwatermarked videos at any point in time for any of these shows, nor do any of the other translators/subtitling companies.

Actually, I don't just get watermarked video.... I get decolorized watermarked videos with a giant 50% opaque TV Tokyo logo over the middle third of the screen Sad...
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
dotted wrote:
That sir is a lie

... ? Maybe not accurate, but not a lie. When I say they never, I actually mean the majority; not everyone. "Absolute" doesn't exist.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
Did you miss the fuss when some episodes were leaked ahead of schedule through FUNimation's portal? It damaged their relationship with Toei and it must have taken some serious grovelling to allow them to continue streaming their shows at all.

No, I didn't miss it. But it's not Toei this time. Toei sucks when dealing with America. I mean, look at One Piece at 4kids.
We're looking at TV Tokyo here. TV Tokyo won't do much, since they have their own investments on CR.

Last edited by egoist on Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Annf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:37 am Reply with quote
The Heroman official Twitter reported that Heroman was displayed on Youtube due to a "malfunction" in Youtube's system and that they're working to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Heroman Twiter entry 2010-07-15 01:42 AM
http://twitter.com/heroman_jp/status/18587833300

I interpret "malfunction" to mean something like, "these were supposed to be uploaded for Youtube's copyright-enforcement video check system but the TV Tokyo intern selected the wrong checkbox and made them available as public videos."
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:20 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
I do not have access to unwatermarked videos at any point in time for any of these shows, nor do any of the other translators/subtitling companies.

Actually, I don't just get watermarked video.... I get decolorized watermarked videos with a giant 50% opaque TV Tokyo logo over the middle third of the screen Sad...

That nails that down! It goes from extremely unlikely to physically impossible.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:29 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:
The Heroman official Twitter reported that Heroman was displayed on Youtube due to a "malfunction" in Youtube's system and that they're working to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I interpret "malfunction" to mean something like, "these were supposed to be uploaded for Youtube's copyright-enforcement video check system but the TV Tokyo intern selected the wrong checkbox and made them available as public videos."

If TV Tokyo is responsible for the digital fingerprint filtering uploads, given that there will be a processing lag, and that broadcast partners often air in advance of the Tokyo broadcast, uploading the digital fingerprint as soon as the broadcast cut has been received would be a sensible policy.

That is quite plausible. The tengu, angry at the location of a TV Tokyo digital broadcasting tower, cast an illusion, tricking the intern into checking the wrong box.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
Annf wrote:

lol, so "TYTOKYOatYT" really was TV Tokyo? Laughing
and here we are speculating about hackers, inside jobs, etc

btw youtube's (technologically advanced) content ID matching system sucks for fair use when publishers elect to automatically block them! Music videos, parody vids, etc, anything containing enough heuristically matching footage (basically if you don't load your videos with effects or composite them) all get automatically taken down now Sad
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:11 am Reply with quote
dotted wrote:
You don't need to have a finalized episode to plan ahead of time. It just means that Bleach filler was scheaduled to end in 2 months time, not that they had already finished animating all the fillers.

I never said they had finalized episodes. I was just offering some circumstantial evidence to support my guess that it's a possible option. And considering some shows have extensive trailers available months before they actually air, it's obvious that the animation work is done fairly early, as everything else has to be done afterwords (aside from the storyboarding, obviously). The 2-month window is my own guess, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had 3-5 episodes sitting around, either completed or going through QC, waiting to be aired.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Annf wrote:

lol, so "TYTOKYOatYT" really was TV Tokyo? Laughing
and here we are speculating about hackers, inside jobs, etc

btw youtube's (technologically advanced) content ID matching system sucks for fair use when publishers elect to automatically block them! Music videos, parody vids, etc, anything containing enough heuristically matching footage (basically if you don't load your videos with effects or composite them) all get automatically taken down now Sad

All the signs always pointed to something like a technical glitch/human error...
After all, if you're going to leak unaired episodes, why leak just episode 40 of Fairy Tail when 38-39 haven't even been aired yet either, for example?
And why upload them to youtube instead of posting them on some file sharing service/torrent?
It didn't make much sense from a malicious standpoint.

The one question people might wonder though is why it was only shows airing on Crunchyroll that this happened to (after all, TV Tokyo airs a lot of other anime besides these shows), and for that I have a very logical answer:
The Crunchyroll shows are the only ones they probably digitize.
Since they have to digitize the tapes anyway for CR, they probably use those versions for copyright fingerprinting since they can.
But digitizing tapes isn't free and there's no reason to do it for shows that aren't streamed, hence why only CR shows were affected.
So with that I think all the pieces fit together and the Heroman twitter post makes perfect sense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4