• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What networks should get anime and which?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to see a trend that channels that you wouldn't really expect to air anime are doing just that. Because of this, I'd like to discuss who should get what anime.

I'll throw my hat in for Ouran Highschool Host Club being on Teennick. Think about it, most of Teennick's viewers are teenage girls, right? A shoujo title would be great for it. Why Ouran exactly? I don't know, it's just a good shoujo series, and I got my cousin to like it, who is a fan Teennick shows like Degrassi. The drawback to this however, is that it's only 26 episodes. That's one of the problems with U.S. networks airing anime, in general. The broadcasters want long ongoing series, while the companies that make the anime want safe 13 episode anime. Another drawback would be that Ouran isn't that recent, I think, and I don't know if the companies would really want to air it if it's not.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote
sirkoala13 wrote:
I'm starting to see a trend that channels that you wouldn't really expect to air anime are doing just that.

Wait? What? Where? The amount of channels airing anime has drastically decreased compared to say, a few years ago.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:04 am Reply with quote
Realisticly.

I could see SPIKE, Airing series like Baccano, Black Lagoon, Fist of The North Star, & Hellsing Ultimate. since they are probably "MANLY" enough for the network, lol

I could see CW4kds (toonzai) Airing SGT. Frog. seems like a good fit

And Finally, I think DisneyXD should Pick Digimon Xros Wars if it ever hits the states
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
Agreeing with Megiddo on the issue. The anime boom in America's been fizzled out for the past few years now with its airing on mainstream channels being drastically reduced. Sure, you still have some stuff looming around like the Saturday block on Adult Swim or Sy Fy's Ani Monday. But with many channels distancing themselves from regularly airing anime, I don't think there will be much visibility of anime for quite a while (if ever) compared to the big boom when Toonami was in its prime in the early 2000s.

Quote:
I could see SPIKE, Airing series like Baccano, Black Lagoon, Fist of The North Star, & Hellsing Ultimate. since they are probably "MANLY" enough for the network, lol

If this has to do with their airing of the Afro Samurai movies, I think it had more to do with the fact Samuel L. Jackson was involved in voicing Afro and his star power and rep in action movies being a good fit for Spike's demographic. If there's no big mainstream actor for the network to promote, then what's the point of promoting and airing it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
sirkoala13 wrote:
I'm starting to see a trend that channels that you wouldn't really expect to air anime are doing just that.

Wait? What? Where? The amount of channels airing anime has drastically decreased compared to say, a few years ago.

Actually it's just 2, but a trend might be starting. Nick airing DBZ Kai and DisneyXD airing Shippuden.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
sirkoala13 wrote:

I'll throw my hat in for Ouran Highschool Host Club being on Teennick. Think about it, most of Teennick's viewers are teenage girls, right? A shoujo title would be great for it. Why Ouran exactly? I don't know, it's just a good shoujo series, and I got my cousin to like it, who is a fan Teennick shows like Degrassi. The drawback to this however, is that it's only 26 episodes. That's one of the problems with U.S. networks airing anime, in general. The broadcasters want long ongoing series, while the companies that make the anime want safe 13 episode anime. Another drawback would be that Ouran isn't that recent, I think, and I don't know if the companies would really want to air it if it's not.

Another problem with that is the weird double standard these networks have for animated shows- double standards apparently dictated by the "moral majority" . Back when it was known as "The N" the channel would show Degrassi in the same block as Daria, except that they would edit the crap out of Daria in completely confounding ways despite the fact that Degrassi would deal with the same subjects in much more exploitive contexts. So they'd never want to show a cartoon with cross-dressers in it.

otherwise, yes, I think shoujo anime would be a great addition to a station like that and definitely an untapped resource for such stations.

I guess yiu could say the pay channel Starz WAM channel slightly toyed with the idea but never went whole-hog into shoujo territory, they attempted what I think they thought of as crossover titles like The Gokusen, Vandread, and even Descendants of Darkness though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
It'll never happen, but I wish Adult Swim would get more anime. kekkaishi and Bleach are fantastic, as is Inuyasha, but I wouldn't mind some older titles as well.

I realize the younger anime fans dislike older titles, but I sure wouldn't mind seeing Case Closed or Irresponsible Captain Tylor on television. But nothing moe or fanservice. All we need is another soccer mom to ruin another anime station.

Unless it's from 4kids, any anime on TV is good. Though if it's heavily edited, its not worth it.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the amount or volume of anime is a less then it use to be, but I do agree with sirkoala13 that seems to be more networks that have anime then their use to be or how you didn't expect a particular network to pick up a anime series. In the past it was primarily CN/Adult Swim, WB, and Fox (for the US) with random or occasional movies from AMC and Sci Fi. Now, while less shows overall, there are more different networks that pick up or carry a series or two. Adult Swim, CW, Fox, Sci Fi, Nicktoons, Disney X D, I believe Boomerang carries one or so every now and then, and movies (usually ghibli) in more frequent rotations on the regular Disney Channel, ABC family, and ABC movie times. Spike will always take time out to air Afro Samurai and G4 also ran some older series as well during a late night block. And now they join a more constant time with the new Iron Man.

But I would like the idea of networks picking up 1 or 2 series that fit their channels. Hellsing and Black Lagoon would seem perfect for Spike TV like Soundmonkey44 pointed out. CN needs to pick up another robot series to offset their monster/little kids thing they have now with pokemon and bakugan; Disney is picking up the new Stitch I believe or should; I think Heroman would be good for Disney X D or Nicktoons; and I think Black Butler or Vampire Knights would be your better pick for a TeenNick crowd. But that seems the most unlikely. Also for people who weren't already fans of the VAs, I think the Ouran dubs might be a bit too boring for most people.

EDIT: HA, forgot X D would make a Anime hyper.
KanjiiZ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Realisticly.

I could see CW4kds (toonzai) Airing SGT. Frog. seems like a good fit

And Finally, I think DisneyXD should Pick Digimon Xros Wars if it ever hits the states

Spike isn't trying to be manly. It's going for that 30 year old nerd who is also a person who is interested in really stupid, perverted stuff like Manswers. Black Lagoon and Hellsing are really the only two that I can see

Have you seen SGT. Frog's dub? That's not going anywhere near any network.

I really, really want Digimon Xros Wars on TV with a dub. I've been going through nostalgia trips on anime that could have been on TV like Law of Ueki and One Piece.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
The CW will host the Supernatural anime for obvious reasons.

ABC, which is owned by Disney, should pick up High School of the Dead. After all, they air Hanna Montana, and aside from HSotD's teenage fanservice ...
...no, they're the same.

ESPN should get Big Windup. Not only is the first season limited, they can provide commentary with every single play-by-play which will be identical to the game that just aired, regardless of sport.

The Lifetime Movie channel should pick up the series Hell Girl because there's nothing like watching revenge over sob stories by people too pathetic to stand up for themselves. Note: Entering a television station's name into the Hell Correspondence website doesn't send the station to hell.

SyFy should pick up Cowboy Bebop because the reruns of Stargate are beginning to have an affect on overall viewership. Without Battlestar Galactica, this channel has no reason to exist.

Cartoon Network needs Strike Witches and Strike Witches 2. Ever since the Powerpuff Girls left the airwaves, little girls everywhere lost a precious source of "grrrl power". What better message to instill confidence than "Take your pants off and beat the crap out of aliens!" (Note: The PPG didn't wear pants either)

G4 needs any anime they can get their hands on if only to save us from another episode of what they air now. Oh, and contractually, they're not allowed to run "The Feed" or any "2.0" crap. Simply anime. Nothing more.

The Weather Channel should show off School Rumble. Get it? Thunder. Rumble. Yeah, I don't see you doing any better.

Speed TV + Initial D = Match made in heaven. Seriously, if I have to explain this to you, I'm going to spork you while doing it.

MTV + Twilight Audience + Karin = I'm rather shocked this series hasn't aired yet on this station with a Proactive commercial break every 2 minutes, 12 seconds.

Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, et all 24 hour news programs: Every anime title licensed in North America. It's better than the crap they air now.

Finally, The Anime Network on Demand should show anime 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, with no commercial interruption save for the commentary (sponsored, of course) about anime between the ever-shrinking episode times now down to 24 minutes (that's 6 minutes of milkable ad dollars).

*sigh*

There's still nothing on.
rho

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
TeenNick: Ouran High School Host Club, Vampire Knight, Death Note, and Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya would be a good line-up.

Cartoon Network: SGT. Frog, K-On!, One Piece, and Kekkaishi

Adult Swim: Soul Eater for sure. Inuyasha Final Act will probably come in 2011.

Disney Anime hyper: Big Windup! and Heroman

SyFy: Eureka Seven assuming [as] doesn't have the rights anymore, Code Geass, and Soul Eater if [as] missed out on it.
John Casey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:45 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

SyFy should pick up Cowboy Bebop because the reruns of Stargate are beginning to have an affect on overall viewership. Without Battlestar Galactica, this channel has no reason to exist.

G4 needs any anime they can get their hands on if only to save us from another episode of what they air now. Oh, and contractually, they're not allowed to run "The Feed" or any "2.0" crap. Simply anime. Nothing more.

MTV + Twilight Audience + Karin = I'm rather shocked this series hasn't aired yet on this station with a Proactive commercial break every 2 minutes, 12 seconds.

Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, et all 24 hour news programs: Every anime title licensed in North America. It's better than the crap they air now.

1-For some reason, Caprica and Eureka strongly contest your request of cessation of existence.

2-Unbeatable Banzuke.

3-THIS is a channel needs to cease existing...no matter what.

4-Now, I hate FOX with a passion...but dude, Fringe is better than any anime I've seen in the last five years.

That said....move it all to IFC nights, me thinks. Razz
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
sirkoala13 wrote:
Actually it's just 2, but a trend might be starting. Nick airing DBZ Kai and DisneyXD airing Shippuden.
Actually, if we count toyetic anime, then CN and The CW(which also airs DBZ Kai) air some.

Not to mention that IFC airs things like Witchblade(finished it a few weeks ago, not sure if they're gonna re-air it) and Speed Grapher. A few other channels also pull a Miyazaki movie every now and again.

As for the topic question, I can see that Ouran deal working. Not much else I can think of that hasn't already been said, though.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:15 am Reply with quote
I've argued elsewhere that the women's networks might consider some of the shows with strong heroines like Moribito, Twelve Kingdoms, Hataraki Man, etc. Too many American programmers seem to think the audience for anime is largely male; women in general have been woefully under-served by the decisions of anime programmers on American networks.
Guren Alchemist4

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
I just hope Syfy picks up a new anime soon cause they're starting to show re-runs of Gundam 00....I loved the anime and own all the box sets so I would like to see something new.

It would be nice to see some Funimation titles added cause I think only Manga and Viz titles have been on so far. Perhaps, When They Cry would be a good one to add. I also think RahXephon would go good with the sci fi them of the channel
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2