• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can't tell if I've finished an anime series or not.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I've bee having trouble figuring out if I've been finished a whole anime series or not, because the show will say that it has a second season, but it's an entirely different title. For example, School Rumble: 2nd Semester, Slayers Next, Negima!?, Happy Lesson Advanced, and Strike Witches 2 seems to be second seasons yet they have different titles. I even got confused as to if I've finished Naruto because I haven't finished Shippuden. So are those considered one series, or actually 2 seperate ones? And I know that titles like Sailor Moon and Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles have different seasons but keep the same title, so I'm not confused about that.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
There's no hard and fast rule. And "series" could mean a television series, or a series of works in a single franchise. So that complicates things. You have to go on a case-by-case basis. And I cannot help you with the individual series you named because I have not watched any of them.
JRT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry I don't understand what you saying. As far as definition of series, I guess TV series would be the best bet.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:52 pm Reply with quote
JRT wrote:
I'm sorry I don't understand what you saying. As far as definition of series, I guess TV series would be the best bet.

Okay then, you've got a further distinction to make between seasons and an overall title. You could claim that you've watched all of Naruto because you have seen all of the original series, and you'd be right. But you haven't watched all of Naruto Shippuden (no-one has, because it is still ongoing), and therefore you cannot claim to have watched all of Naruto.

So you see, because Naruto's second season isn't just called "Naruto", and because it is a direct continuation from the first (albeit with a timeskip), you can say that you have both watched and not watched all of Naruto, and you'd be right on both counts.

Is your head spinning yet?

This goes back to my original point; instead of making an easy rule you have to take it on a case by case basis. Have I watched all of Cowboy Bebop? Yes, because I've watched all of its twenty-six episodes. But I haven't watched the movie, and so in a way I haven't watched all of Cowboy Bebop.

I'm not trying to mess with you here. But you want definitive answers and they are not so easy to come by. You can have several completely different answers for the same question, depending on how you define it.

I'm going to go take an aspirin; my head hurts.
JRT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:59 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm starting understand. Let me see if I'm on the right path here and please feel free to correct me.

I wanted to know if 2nd seasons with individual titles were considered a different TV Series or not.

I have finished the T.V. series titled Naruto because I watched all 220 episodes. I have not watched all of T.V. series titled Naruto Shippuden or all of the movies. So that would that mean that I have completed a series within the Naruto Anime, but not the whole Naruto Anime? Does this sound right?
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, ooh, I've got one. Wolf's Rain was a regular, 26-episode half year series. Except the SARS epidemic hit in the middle of production, and because they could not complete episodes, they did a set of four recap episodes from four different character's perspectives. Then when they finished, they weren't done, and did a four episode OVA.

So in the series description, it says, "26 episodes", and "titles: we have 30".

So there is a strong sense that you haven't seen the whole series unless you've seen the OVA, but you have seen the whole series if you watched the series without the recaps and have seen the OVA.

If a precise answer is needed, the solution is probably to just be more complete. "I've seen the whole Cowboy Bebop series, though not the movie" (that's dtm42, I personally saw the movie too), "I've seen the entire Wolf's Rain storyline, though I skipped the recaps." (I was partway through the third recap until I figured something was up and Googled it, so I probably skipped 1.5 recaps) "I saw all of the original Naruto." (I haven't seen a single one of either).
JRT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Ok now I'm confused again. I've just always been confused when another T.V. series is a sequel of another T.V. series but has a different name (like the example I gave of Naruto and Naruto Shippuden). If you've finished the first series of Bakugan, can you say you've finshed the Bakugan Anime if you haven't watched Bakugan New Vestroya? Same thing with Galaxy Railways. Can I say I've finished the Galaxy Railways Anime if I've only watched the first series titled Galaxy Railways and not the sequel titled The Galaxy Railways: Eternal Divergence?

Thing about Anime News Network's Encyclopedia, it gives me the exact title for a second season, and then it makes me thing "Since the show has two different names for two different seasons, are these two totally different T.V. series that belong to a bigger universe?"

Last edited by JRT on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
JRT wrote:
I think I'm starting understand. Let me see if I'm on the right path here and please feel free to correct me.

I wanted to know if 2nd seasons with individual titles were considered a different TV Series or not.

About second seasons, if they have little to do with the first (as in, has many new characters, a completely different plot, is more serious/more comedic than the first season, et cetera) then you can make a good argument that they should be counted as separate. Even if the second season doesn't have its own unique title.

JRT wrote:
I have finished the T.V. series titled Naruto because I watched all 220 episodes. I have not watched all of T.V. series titled Naruto Shippuden or all of the movies. So that would that mean that I have completed a series within the Naruto Anime, but not the whole Naruto Anime? Does this sound right?

Yes, that sounds like a good compromise. Just a small point. Instead of saying "Naruto Anime" you could say "Naruto franchise" or "Naruto's animated franchise", which clues people in that you are not talking about every single thing that has Naruto in its name.

It's annoying to be that specific I know, but then Naruto isn't so easy as to just be a single show; it's quite large. Not as large as Doraemon, but then that thing's a monster (forty-five volumes of Manga, thirty-odd movies, and more than two thousand episodes).
JRT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Excellent. Let me try a couple more things to see if I'm on the right track.

Bakugan New Vestroya, and Bakugan Gundalian Invaders are seperate T.V. series but are also sequels to the T.V. series Bakugan, all within the Bakugan Franchise

Sailor Moon is one T.V. series that is composed of 4 seasons.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
JRT wrote:

Sailor Moon actually has 5 seasons. But yes, you seem to be getting the idea. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JRT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Yes it's very confusing. I'll never know why Anime has shows that have different seasons like that, then there's Anime that have different seaons with different titles that are considered another Anime. Then again, if I look it from an American perspective, we have that with spinoff shows (Cleveland Show from Family Guy, Mork and Mindy from Happy Days, Jeffersons from All in the Family). So does that mean Strike Witches 2 and Negima!? is a spin off of Strike Witches and Negima!
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:45 pm Reply with quote
JRT wrote:
Yes it's very confusing. I'll never know why Anime has shows that have different seasons like that, then there's Anime that have different seaons with different titles that are considered another Anime. Then again, if I look it from an American perspective, we have that with spinoff shows (Cleveland Show from Family Guy, Mork and Mindy from Happy Days, Jeffersons from All in the Family). So does that mean Strike Witches 2 and Negima!? is a spin off of Strike Witches and Negima!

Strike Witches 2 would be the second season (hense why it has "2"). Negima!? I couldn't tell you as I have not watched the show.

Pretty much anything that has the numbers 2,3,4,etc are usually the season numbers. For example: School Rumble: 2nd Semester, Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid, Kuroshitsuji II, and so on would be the second season of the show. Yet for when they add names into the sequel or spin off shows your best bet would be to look it up to confirm what season it is (or if its something completely new).

My-Hime and My-Otome are good examples of spin off shows. The title names are slightly the same, and they have recycled some characters from the first show, but My-Otome is a spin off of My-Hime so they are pretty much separate series as they also contain different story/plot-lines.

Last edited by Rukiia on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
JRT wrote:
Excellent. Let me try a couple more things to see if I'm on the right track.

Bakugan New Vestroya, and Bakugan Gundalian Invaders are seperate T.V. series but are also sequels to the T.V. series Bakugan, all within the Bakugan Franchise

That is correct. There's Bakugan the franchise and Bakugan the first series. No wonder people can get a little muddled at times over which one is being talked about.

It's like if Ford (the car company) made a car called "Ford". A person could then say, "I drive a Ford", and people wouldn't know if he was talking about a Ford Mondeo or Ford Laser (or whatever), or if he actually owned a Ford Ford.

JRT wrote:

With unnamed seasons, or seasons that are only called "Blah 2", you really cannot say you have watched all of the title "Blah" if you have only watched, say, two of the three seasons. ("Blah" is just an example.) But Sailor Moon's sequel seasons are named (R, S, SuperS and Sailor Stars), so that complicates things. You can honestly and - in a way - truthfully say you have watched all of Sailor Moon after only watching the first season, and yet you still would have four seasons to go. And then several movies. Yeah.
JRT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
@Rukiia: This is when I'm getting confused again. You're saying that School Rumble: 2nd Semester is the second season and an entirely seperate second T.V. series? How is that so? Just because the title's name isn't the same as the first series?

@dtm42: I forgot that the other seasons had different names. Let's just say I make a list of all the anime I've finished. Can I say, that I have finished Salor Moon R (just that one season) and count that as a finished T.V. series, or would it be more correct for me to watch all the seasons and say that I have finished the Salor Moon Anime Franchise?

Last edited by JRT on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
JRT wrote:
This is when I'm getting confused again. You're saying that School Rumble: 2nd Semester is the second season and an entirely seperate second T.V. series? How is that so? Just because the title's name isn't the same as the first series?

No, I'm saying it is a continuation of the first School Rumble. It is the second season of the show. I didn't say they were a separate. If they were separate then it would be a spin off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3