• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Pirate License

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it's sad that there won't be a MML3. Man the days of the Playstation. Those were some good times. Talk about feeling nostalgic. I'm glad I got my PS2 when I did but of course I can't buy a new one when it dies out. My niece's and nephew's PS2 finally died some years ago then I come here and read about how they are going out of production. Well, makes sense. Now I'm curious to know when Nintendo will be phasing out their Wii now with the arrival of the WiiU.

As for the new Macross stuff...WTF?
Moggsster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I know I might be late here, but is there any plan to make a list of the most underrated games of 2012? I know that there is usually a list on the column. If it weren't for that list I probably would've ignored such gems as Ghost Trick. BTW, my vote is for Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time.
Forte-sama

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:18 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Yeah, it's sad that there won't be a MML3. Man the days of the Playstation. Those were some good times. Talk about feeling nostalgic. I'm glad I got my PS2 when I did but of course I can't buy a new one when it dies out. My niece's and nephew's PS2 finally died some years ago then I come here and read about how they are going out of production. Well, makes sense. Now I'm curious to know when Nintendo will be phasing out their Wii now with the arrival of the WiiU.

I haven't given up on Mega Man Legends 3 yet. The fact is is that there was a playable version that was made (at least of the Preview Version), and someday, that will be found.
In the meantime though, a couple of fans have started to work on building their own...I think it was flash-based version of the game, using screentshots and footage of the preview version that was released.

As for the matter of the Wii, not counting the WiiWare and Virtual Console service, the game discs will most likely officially go out during early 2014 at the latest. Nintendo themselves has nothing in the pipeline for retail games right now, so currently, Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition was the last Nintendo retail game released for the console. Accessories like the Wii RemotePlus and Nunchuk will be available for the life of the Wii U.
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:49 am Reply with quote
Alas, PS2 we knew thee well. 'Tis a cruel world. An upgrade to the next gen console there never was. So is this to be the end? Wll, not for my own PS2, no. Not unless it kicks the bucket. Hrm...maybe I better buy a back-up before prices soar? I appreciate this tid-bit of news for sure!

As for The X Button as a column? I'm good with how it is now, but keep experimenting to the idea-whims! Change never hurts anybody. Smile I do always enjoy the little intros even if there is some ranting. lol It shows passion for what you do! Good resolutions this time around too. Also, instead of Mega Man 3 I suggest a new rant: the almost-sure loss of "The Last Guardian" for that looked epic. If it survives I'll be elated. Then I will actually upgrade to the next gen console. (Hrm...well that thought process came around full circle. lol Very Happy)
Etrien

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And what was the final game anyone actually bought for the PS2? Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love? Mercenaries 2? The latest FIFA?

Humm. Looks like it was... the copy of Shadow Hearts 2: Director's Cut that I picked up in Akiba a few months ago. I still buy older PS2 games every now and then, but the last title I bought while it was still a new release? Uh, maybe Persona 4...?
N.R.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Hi there Todd. Like always I enjoyed your column, but since you are actively trying to improve it and asked for our opinion I'll tell you mine:

- The art book section is great! keep it up!

- If you are reporting about news related to Western games try writing only on stuff that happen on the day you post your column, because your column inevitably appears after all the gaming sites have already reported on what you write.

- Write less about fighting games. Fighting games have a tendency to be release really close to each other, and when that happens you pretty much fill your column with fighting game news for a month or so, with little else. I know you like fighting games the most but please strive for a balance in gaming news when writing.

That's it. Thanks for 2012 and good luck with 2013!
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 am Reply with quote
My favorite things about The X Button are the jokes and the obscure game-history trivia/nostalgia-fest. So... perhaps more wacky features on old or overlooked games in the spirit of Old Man Murray/old-school Insertcredit?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Forte-sama wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

I haven't given up on Mega Man Legends 3 yet. The fact is is that there was a playable version that was made (at least of the Preview Version), and someday, that will be found.
In the meantime though, a couple of fans have started to work on building their own...I think it was flash-based version of the game, using screentshots and footage of the preview version that was released.

As for the matter of the Wii, not counting the WiiWare and Virtual Console service, the game discs will most likely officially go out during early 2014 at the latest. Nintendo themselves has nothing in the pipeline for retail games right now, so currently, Kirby's Dream Collection: Special Edition was the last Nintendo retail game released for the console. Accessories like the Wii RemotePlus and Nunchuk will be available for the life of the Wii U.

Now I feel like dusting off my copy of MML 1 & 2 and giving it a spin. I was thinking about it yesterday on my way to work. Gawd 2 was hard. While I'm not the greatest gameplayer I managed to finish those 2 games. Playing MML numerous times, on easy, normal, then hard to earn the special lazer, with cheats (on norman and hard), then the import version Rockman Dash on normal, hard, with and without cheats (cheat codes were only for the import versions). I've played that game like almost close to 10 times in one sitting. I hope that one day they will consider, but it seems the MM franchise has died down some. MML was a like a whole other caliber. But it's a shame Capcom couldn't have considered getting funding for a release for us. Like what was done with Big O. But again it's about money and making getting a return profit. I'm amazed that so many people here liked MML.

The reason I mentioned the Wii was because I was in a local BB and wanted to pick up some extra controllers because we took my youngest niece's Wii down to my sister's and her older kids were getting into it, but you only have two controllers. There wasn't any controllers. The only thing on the floor was the +Plus Remotes for the WiiU. So I said to myself it begins. We picked up the last few games my youngest niece might get enjoyment out of for the Wii. As for me if I do get a Wii it might be the WiiU or Wii mini just to keep on hand for me when my niece ends up at my house for a visit.

I'm assuming if you're talking about phasing out of Wii discs I'm assuming these are for Wii only making way for WiiU discs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2