• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Predictive Text

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
So if it's not among the most extreme things that have ever happened, someone should just shut up if they finds something offensive, right? That's basically what you're saying.

"Offensive" is not misogyny. Again, please learn what that word means. I am fairly sure Deep Silver is not a woman hating company. If you want to talk about extremes it would be people jumping to conclusions of how the entire staff of a company thinks over an ill-received marketing decision.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:39 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL, expert on misogyny.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
The real problem is more that the entire statue is creepily sexualized. Notice how the boobs are near-pristine. There's barely a scratch on them. It's a sexualized depiction of a murdered woman. She's been stripped of her head, arms, legs...everything except her bust is gone. This thing appeals to troglodytes who view women as walking pairs of breasts. iIf this doesn't sound disturbing to you...the thing looks like a serial killer's trophy.

I'll grant that it's in bad taste, but I have little doubt the artist was thinking of Venus of Cyrene, one of the more recognizable and famous statues of classical idealized female beauty (though clearly second to the Venus de Milo). Both of these statues have something on common, though; the idealized female core is perfectly intact, while the limbs (and the former's head) were lost to the ages.

The fact that they're releasing this in Australia with a union-jack themed bikini should have been a tip that they were going out of their way to be as obnoxious as possible. Australia is infamous for video game censorship and even banning many of them outright - they've literally allowed their first R18 rating for a game this year, despite having allowed films the same rating for over a decade. In short, Silver Light is trolling, and the lot of you are proving them successful.

Would the reaction have been any more positive if it had been a male torso? Doubtful. The insults would have been different, but the industry would have complained anyway. Instead the target demographic - you know, the young, hip, machismo fueled males who actually play games like Dead Island - would be snarking about the implicit homoeroticism of it. This wasn't a ploy they were creating NOT to disgust and offend, so they figured "mysoginist!" was the easier label to deflect than "gay!"

Suggesting "Hey! It could be a shemale!" kind of missed the mark, but I have to say, that's by far the most clever thing he could have said. The fact that they didn't cancel it the same day they "apologized" tells me everything about this situation I need to know.

...personally I chuckled, shrugged, and thought that was par for the course having finished the original game. Still, can't say I have any real need for a Big Hunk Of Dead Lady - not that isn't already being taken up by Clive Barker memorabilia at any rate! If this had been an even more obnoxious, maybe a "His 'n' Her" bookend with a hulking male corpse, they'd have me cornered. Smile
Draneor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:00 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
"Offensive" is not misogyny. Again, please learn what that word means.

"Misogyny is the hatred or dislike of women or girls. Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women."

If a woman says "a sexualized bloody torso of a woman is offensive, " you can make a strong case that, it is indeed, likely offensive because it comes across as misogynistic. I admit that I could have worded my response more clearly, but that was what I intended to convey.

On the other hand, your response basically boils down to "hey, we're not tossing acid into your face for trying to learn how to read so shut the hell up about anything else." Do you not see why that response can come across as misogynistic?

TitanXL wrote:
I am fairly sure Deep Silver is not a woman hating company. If you want to talk about extremes it would be people jumping to conclusions of how the entire staff of a company thinks over an ill-received marketing decision.

Literally no one has said the employees of Deep Silver actively hate women or intentionally created the item because of such an assumed hate, Likely, they never even thought about it. That's why it's important to have this conversation because a lot of misogyny are due to huge blind spots. Which is to say you or I can be misogynistic regardless of our in intentions and not even know it. And I'm not even saying you have to agree if someone says x comes across as misogynistic--just try to understand as best as you can why they think that way.

Honestly, we're never going to rectify gender disparities if we don't get past the "you're a misogynst/no, I'm not" conversation.
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:26 am Reply with quote
Seriously, Todd, my eyes bugged out when I scrolled down and saw a picture from "The Last Guardian" in the column. I was freaking out! Then...I was deflated. *long sigh* I suppose knowing that the game is not totally dead yet is a good thing. So I thank you for that. Though I'm no where near as elated as I ought to be. I'm glad to see the news in the column! Guess I'll go put a PS3 back on my wishlist at Amazon and see how long it takes before the game is released because then, and only then, will Sony get my money.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:29 am Reply with quote
Does one have to intend harm or disrespect women to be a "misogynist"...?
From what it looks like, it's referring to something that stems from hatred. If it stems from hatred, the word "misogyny" might not be the best way to put it here.
"Disrespect" would be far more fitting. At least you can accidentally disrespect someone else.

As for Fire Emblem: Awakening... I'm just before chapter 9 in the Japanese version. I haven't played that many other Fire Emblems before (I've played the English GBA game with Eliwood and Lyndis before, though I only got to around chapter 16 before the save battery on the game died... and I got through about 13 chapters of Path of Radiance), but already, the simplicity and the "casual mode" make this my favorite Fire Emblem yet. Since I suck at strategy RPG's and prefer my characters not to die for good, I feel like this is the exact kind of thing I needed in the franchise to stick to it. Now it's fun and I'm not restarting the game over one minor character death! And, well, the characters seem balanced enough that you don't have to worry that much about leveling up useless characters. They can all be useful in time, at least with the characters I've chosen to use so far. The character I thought would be the weakest link, due to experience with the same class in other Fire Emblems, ended up becoming my strongest character so far. SUMIA ftw!
cynthiashields

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Hello, I am new Here!
N.R.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:34 am Reply with quote
Funny how a column on ANN has predictions for the Japanese game industry but ANN didn't bother to an article with predictions regarding the anime industry. At any rate, nice column. I totally didn't know about that bloody torso. I don't think the Vita did bad, and I don't think the WiiU is currently doing any good, but hey, that's how I see it (maybe the market figures will prove me wrong in a year or two).
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:46 am Reply with quote
Draneor wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
"Offensive" is not misogyny. Again, please learn what that word means.

"Misogyny is the hatred or dislike of women or girls. Misogyny can be manifested in numerous ways, including sexual discrimination, denigration of women, violence against women, and sexual objectification of women."
Holy crap, must I seriously thank you for understanding the modern concept of "misogyny."

Yes, I apparently must...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:03 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
SprintsMcGee wrote:
I'm hoping that the teaser image XSeed posted on Twitter is about them bringing over Pandora's Tower.

It is.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2013/01/16-1/xseed-games-to-publish-pandoras-tower-on-wii-this-spring

Wow, somehow I missed this news, awesome. And hilarious, I think they must just be messing with Todd with the timing of these announcements now. Razz
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Why the hell does everyone want a 3DSXL so much? It can't really fit into pockets very well and a portable that can't fit into pockets is worthless.

The originals screen is far too small. The XL's screen size is about the same as the Vitas, which is a much better size to play games on.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:34 am Reply with quote
TheZeonicFront wrote:
Zac wrote:
And fans like y'all are hyperdefensive because the sort of anime you tend to consume most is often ludicrously misogynist, and you don't want to be cast in that light, so you deny up and down that any of it is misogynist at all.

Seriously, the logical disconnect you have to make to think that your average harem and moe shows have zero elements of misogyny - or at the very least really primitive ideas about gender equality - is staggering.

Now, watching and enjoying that stuff doesn't make you a misogynist, it doesn't mean you hate women or have prehistoric attitudes about gender equality (although many of you do, which I know because you express said ideas in these forums all the time. Certainly not all of you, but my point stands). But the content itself can be pretty blatantly misogynistic. And you don't like being told that, so when critics like myself (or - gasp - the several women I employ to write about anime here) do so, you get upset. It's understandable, but the piling on in this thread is getting ridiculous.

Also, the "this thing is really gross and sexist, don't ever call anything slightly less gross and sexist gross and sexist" is a pretty dumb line of logic. I get that you don't want to hear it, but I'm not going to tell Todd not to say it.

Yes, thanks for proving my point exactly, which is, no one on this site has a clue what misogyny is.

HDN, and Mugen Souls to keep with those examples are juvenile, immature, pandering, and POSSIBLY sexist. Mugen Souls I would say is sexist, but having played HDN, the girls wear revealing outfits but there is nothing in their actions or the writing that comes off as sexist to me.

Having an ANIMATED girl in revealing clothing is NOT misogyny. Artists have been doing that for years. It is generally accepted the female body is a beautiful subject for artist. If you are going to say anime is misogynistic because the girls are almost nude, then be prepared to say the same thing for every work of art in human history that displays the female form in a nude or semi-nude state.

Misogyny is a term that should be used for the most hateful and violent depictions of women. I have been playing Corpse Party and while I think that it can sometimes be debatable if it is misogynistic, I decided to pick up the manga Corpse Party: Masamune thinking it was an adaptation of Corpse Party. hoo boy. That is misogyny. Only bad things happen to the girls, they are usually undressed before killed and implied raped and it's just disgusting. The author CLEARLY has some pent up feelings towards the fairer sex.

Crying misogyny over ever little thing deludes the original intent of the word for cases where it really needs to be applied, like this torso. With most anime say sexist, chauvinist, or disrespectful instead. But misogyny is hatred for women and hatred is a lot worse than simple disrespect.

This person is a genius making a very nice sarcastic illustration of exactly whats wrong with detractors of the statute or is serious and is a very sad example of them.
Ozzhiroth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Why the hell does everyone want a 3DSXL so much? It can't really fit into pockets very well and a portable that can't fit into pockets is worthless.

The originals screen is far too small. The XL's screen size is about the same as the Vitas, which is a much better size to play games on.

well, I may be new here but I know one thing. We are spoiled when it comes to versions of consoles.

I have the first print, first day, 3DS. The screen size is the biggest of first print editions of nintendo portables. It is especially giant compared to the first print DS. It seems like it would be silly to say that you can't play a game effectively on the standard screen.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Ozzhiroth wrote:

well, I may be new here but I know one thing. We are spoiled when it comes to versions of consoles.

I have the first print, first day, 3DS. The screen size is the biggest of first print editions of nintendo portables. It is especially giant compared to the first print DS. It seems like it would be silly to say that you can't play a game effectively on the standard screen.

Welcome to the forums!

I bet you don't need large type books, either. Some of us don't see so well.
Ozzhiroth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
Ozzhiroth wrote:

Welcome to the forums!

I bet you don't need large type books, either. Some of us don't see so well.

well.... Actually I need heavy corrective lenses despite being in my 20s. Small screens are something you just get used to after having played games from the original Gameboy to the 3DS.

Bulky handheld that can't fit in pocket is no longer portable. Ex. Atari Lynx, Sega Gamegear. PSP barely squeezed by on size. I hated the DSXL due to the fact that it was not ergonomically portable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5