• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyopop Indicates Possibility of Novels on E-Readers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kovaelin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote
If it helps raise the popularity and makes non-virtual copies on shelves longer too, then I'm all for e-reader versions.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I got the first two FMP novels used for like $20-$25 each. But the 3rd volume costs a ludicrous amount of money. So I really do hope they put it up for print-on-demand.

As for these e-readers, I'm not willing to spend that much money on a device I will never use. I rarely ever read books but when I do I like to buy physical copies so I can put them into a collection. Digital media just doesn't have that same functionality plus it has that uneasy feeling that something might happen to your copy.

I'm all for putting them onto e-readers, just so long that that isn't the only way they plan to release their products.
Nephtis

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And that goes for the second common question as well--in the case of Twelve Kingdoms, the rights are held by Kodansha, who recently pulled back almost all of their sub-licensed series in the States in order to launch Kodansha USA.

Somehow I missed this. Fantastic. (Sarcasm)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BleuVII

PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:52 am Reply with quote
Nephtis, I'm going to post that whole paragraph:

Quote:
And that goes for the second common question as well--in the case of Twelve Kingdoms, the rights are held by Kodansha, who recently pulled back almost all of their sub-licensed series in the States in order to launch Kodansha USA. So if you’d like to see the rest of Twelve Kingdoms (which is still ongoing in Japan, btw), they’d be the ones you’d want to talk to at this point. (And I hope you do! I want to read more of the series, too... Anime cry )

ARGH!!!!! First Moribito, now THIS?! How am I EVER supposed to get people hooked on Japanese Fantasy when they keep putting the best series into limbo?! Luckily, the series kind of has a good "stopping point" at the end of Volume 4 (it is, after all, where the anime stopped), but darn it, there's only 3 more. They were on the home stretch.

Somehow, I don't think Kodansha USA is going to do much about this series.

Also, let me translate "still ongoing in Japan" for everyone. It means "on indefinite hiatus, since the author lost interest." The latest book was published in 2001.[/quote]
selfDemanDeD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
Yep, I was also a fan, who suggested digital form. The thing is - ~20% of the planet understands English, but these translated novels are hard to get outside of USA, Canada and UK (as I see). Living in Russia, I wouldn't get them, until I pay two times the original price - because of the delivery costs and taxes. Which makes the digital version the only reasonable purchase, and I really would love to buy them (to support the industry + because it probably will never be released in Russian + because it's not fast to learn Japanese on the level enough to read novels + the same delivery costs problem for original books).
adam_omega

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Erica Friedman talks about the problems with Light Novels today over at Okazu:
http://okazu.blogspot.com/2011/02/how-do-you-solve-problem-like-light.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3