• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: X-Men Anime, Nichijou Promo Videos Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:19 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Dessa wrote:
Illyana Nikolaevna Rasputina, aka Magik

Your no prize is in the mail :-p

Quote:
I heard they brought her back again, that pissed me off. Let her rest in peace.

Rest in peace my ***!!! Let's kill your favorite marvel comics character and let her stay dead for two decades while you see how they keep bringing back to life everybody else. This is no exaggeration, with the exception of Bucky and Uncle Ben, nobody else stays dead in the Marvel Universe >_<

Now let me dream about marvel paying for making an anime version of the Inferno saga for everyone to see Magik at her best *^_^*

Actually... I heard they brought Bucky back, too...
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure any money Marvel looses trying to sell the show to Japan will be made back when they sell it to American audiences. But will we have to wait for R1 DVDs before there's any legal release of it here?

At least Wolverine already had a Japanese story as part of his history so this series is like an expansion of that story.

It does seem as if each series is better than the last, so we'll have to wait to see how good the X-Men series is. Blade should also be interesting; that's a show that could really work in anime.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:54 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
There's no accounting for taste, I guess.
And people wonder why Family Guy is popular here. Instead wonder why PPGZ is popular there! Laughing

Ah hells no. Laughing

The original was okay as a kid, but I guess since I'm an adult now I expect more from shows these days. PPGZ did that by actually fleshing out the characters and giving them character development and making them more than one dimensional characters (like Himeko/Princess and Sakurako/Sedusa) and an actual storyline to the show (not to mention much better art and music - Jig the Upper being one of my favorite openings ever) Plus it pretty much replaced all the superhero parodies with anime ones (Ojamajo Doremi, Mazinger Z, GaoGaiGar, Mospeada, Cyborg 009, and lots of others) I'm not into superheroes, so I got more out of those parodies, personally. Only probelm I had with the show was it had some really, really, really stupid filler episodes (though the original did the same, so I guess it was faithful in that regard)

Quote:
I don't think the original was popular in Japan.

I don't know if the original TV series itself was popular, but I know the character Stitch himself is really popular in Japan. The character Angel as well, and a lot of Japanese fans were disappointed she was only a one-shot character in the American canon, which is why they made her more prominent in the Japanese remake. All I can say is the remake is definitely more popular than the original in Japan at this point.[/i]

So yeah, anime remakes can work in Japan, but I think Stitch and Z worked because the Japanese had creative control over everything. The Marvel stuff might have gone over better if Marvel's head honchos and Warren Ellis weren't involved. Not sure how well Witchblade did, but I thought it was a nice little series as well, and it was completely different from the comics/live action TV show.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
dessa wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

Rest in peace my ***!!! Let's kill your favorite marvel comics character and let her stay dead for two decades while you see how they keep bringing back to life everybody else. This is no exaggeration, with the exception of Bucky and Uncle Ben, nobody else stays dead in the Marvel Universe Anime hyper

Now let me dream about marvel paying for making an anime version of the Inferno saga for everyone to see Magik at her best *Anime smile*

Actually... I heard they brought Bucky back, too...

More accurately it would be that the rumors of Bucky's death were greatly exaggerated.... as it was that he actully didn't dfie.. but came back as The Winter Soldier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4