• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Reading Site JManga to End Service in May

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundam0084

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:53 am Reply with quote
Hmm. So much for being able to read more of the cancelled(in the US) School Rumble...
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:10 am Reply with quote
They needed manga that'd turn into anime. Only way to get more people to buy.
Julini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:24 am Reply with quote
I find this very unsatisfying. Sad

I already got used to the platform and thought, even though I would have preferred download, that reading a manga for $ 4.99 was a reasonable price. Also, I was very glad to be offered so many yuri titles.

But right now the most unsatisfying for me is that JManga doesn't mention with a single word why they are retailing.
Cave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote
Very disappointing, but hopefully if another website tries this again (highly doubtful since doing the website in the first place was probably a big investment for these publishers in the first place), it will be handled better.

Considering you could read both the English AND Japanese versions, $5 was reasonable price. It's too bad the e-reader itself was clunky and annoying to use.

On top of everything already said, the quality of the images were typically not even well done. The typesetting was honestly on par with low quality scanlators and many times I cringed seeing text done in ways I would NEVER even think about. A lot of it looked hastily thrown together. Sad
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:54 am Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
Hopefully this will serve as another lesson to consumers if the product has DRM (in this case the DRM being restricting the users to online reading only with no possibility of DRM-free downloading), you're not actually buying it - you're merely renting it for an indefinite period of time. Honestly, the only acceptable digital distribution model that involves DRM is the catalog subscription model, because people actually perceive it as the renting that it is.

I just wish there would be options for actual digital buying as well... or even better, services that combined the two to offer the best of all worlds. Oh well, a man can dream.

Sublime (Viz) offers the option of downloading volumes as PDF files. I don't know if they do this with their other titles, but so far,so good with their Sublime line. Have to check into it further...

I'm very sad about this news with JManga. I tried to support them as much as I could. I liked the fact that they had an android app that actually worked. A lot of the others pretty much demand that you have an Apple product or you are SOL. I have a Macbook, but the android tablet is much more portable.

I was buying the continuing volumes of "Tactics" on Jmanga. Now I'm once again left with a cliffhanger. Just like what Tokyopop did with volume 8, now Jmanga is doing with volume 12. ---oh well. sucks.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:58 am Reply with quote
Aw, man. I was waiting for the iPad version (since I knew I wasn't going to freaking sit down at the computer to read manga), and had a list of things to buy once they were mobile. What a shame.
Daizo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:07 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Sublime (Viz) offers the option of downloading volumes as PDF files.

Looking into it, they seem to indeed be offering DRM-free PDF downloads. Well, at least that's something. If they're doing it without DRM, though, it'd make sense if they also offered the content in the most popular form of distributing comics online - that is, images in archives. And if they also offered both online reading and download to own with the same payment... But as said, at least they're doing something that allows for genuine buying of digital content.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
I seem to remember SuBLime saying they offer downloads as PDFs as that's the easiest way to make them compatible with all the various types of ereader.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:51 am Reply with quote
Wow, seems so sudden. I never got to use JManga as I don't have any type of reader. But they had a manga about salarymen centaurs on there, so I think it's a real shame for it to just disappear like this. Of course, I also like having physical copies, just something about it, y'know?

I understand the points system though, Nintendo uses them for the same reason. It's so they don't have to do lots of conversions between different currency, so I'm guessing JManga was doing the same idea.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:22 am Reply with quote
I never used the product because I didn't like not having a guarantee download but its really sad to see the service go because those are manga that would never have been translated by scanslators because they dont appear in Shonen Jump.

I mentioned this on twitter but unless someone can figure out how to get millions of manga fans who read english manga online to pay for it then manga doesnt have a future in the west.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:38 am Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that they couldn't find a way to make it work. Their titles weren't well known, but I enjoyed being introduced to them. Especially the Yuri. It's a genre I'd not read much of, and I liked the chance to try all I did.

They had some serious problems though that put people off. Their sale system was so convoluted it scared me off for a while, until I was given a free trial to figure things out. And I never quite did.

That and the lack of ownership. I've been screwed by this before, the 'buying' of DRM'd books that you lose rights to if the company closes. It's just not worth investing money into it, because your property is not your property. Until DMP and others realize that, I just won't invest in their manga unless I can grab it on Kindle and remove the DRM.

I buy probably half of SuBLime's titles though, because they're mine and they always will be. I don't mind their sticking "Property of E**** D****" randomly through the books. It's a good idea to prevent pirating, and it lets me own them.

I hope publishers realize the real lessons here, and don't just see "scanlations killed us". But they probably won't, because it's easier to blame some remote evil scanlators than it is to blame themselves for a bad business model.
skaly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:47 am Reply with quote
Do you think it would make sense for publishers to come up with a Netflix/Hulu type model for digital manga?

Closest comic approximation I can think of is Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited service. For about $4 a month, I can have access to thousands of comics that I wouldn't particularly want to buy. Also, that model makes it more clear that I am only paying for access, not ownership.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:04 am Reply with quote
skaly wrote:
Do you think it would make sense for publishers to come up with a Netflix/Hulu type model for digital manga?

Closest comic approximation I can think of is Marvel's Digital Comics Unlimited service. For about $4 a month, I can have access to thousands of comics that I wouldn't particularly want to buy. Also, that model makes it more clear that I am only paying for access, not ownership.

That's what Crunchyroll does, and I pay for a subscription there because it's clearly a rental agreement, like paying to join a library of sorts. I have always said I'd love to see that for manga, and would support it. I think it's entirely different than paying full cost for a specific book, then having that book taken away if the site closes.
configspace

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Sublime (Viz) offers the option of downloading volumes as PDF files.

Looking into it, they seem to indeed be offering DRM-free PDF downloads. Well, at least that's something. If they're doing it without DRM, though, it'd make sense if they also offered the content in the most popular form of distributing comics online - that is, images in archives. And if they also offered both online reading and download to own with the same payment... But as said, at least they're doing something that allows for genuine buying of digital content.

I think it's limited only to Sublime. The titles on the sublimemanga.com lists download filesizes, but none on vizmanga do. It's still web reader only (M-series) or app (SJA, others) for Viz
Genet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
I actually did use JManga, and this is exactly the sort of thing print "luddites" such as myself were afraid of.

Back to printed copies for me, I 'spose. At least I own those forever
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9