• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: This Week's Madoka Magica Not Aired in 'Self-Restraint'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The creation of drawings for episodes 11 and 12 has been difficult, and Urobuchi thinks that airing episode 11 in the form that it is now would be "disappointing." Urobuchi and producer Atsuhiro Iwakami agree that the extra time will allow the staff to do their best.

I was already perfectly fine with waiting, but I think if that's really the case, I would actually prefer waiting.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:52 am Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Quote:
The creation of drawings for episodes 11 and 12 has been difficult, and Urobuchi thinks that airing episode 11 in the form that it is now would be "disappointing." Urobuchi and producer Atsuhiro Iwakami agree that the extra time will allow the staff to do their best.

I was already perfectly fine with waiting, but I think if that's really the case, I would actually prefer waiting.

I agree. It sounds like the ep wasn't finished yet.
Rime of the Ancient Otaku

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Update 2: Madoka Magica series script supervisor Gen Urobuchi apologized to everyone waiting to see the anime, but said that he is relieved for the delay. He explained that the anime studio SHAFT would work to the last minute on every episode — just hours before the first airing of each episode on Thursday evening (early Friday morning) in the Kanasai area on MBS. The creation of drawings for episodes 11 and 12 has been difficult, and Urobuchi thinks that airing episode 11 in the form that it is now would be "disappointing." Urobuchi and producer Atsuhiro Iwakami agree that the extra time will allow the staff to do their best.

This is probably the best and worst news I can think of.

Best, because in light of Episode 10, if the creators themselves are holding off in the name of "self-restraint" I shudder to think how much more powerful Episode 11 will get. The extra time isn't being wasted, meaning the last 2 episodes will have peoples' A Game brought to them...as if this show didn't already have that kind of intensity...

Worst, however, because I fear the temptation to recast the ending with a little more light. Of course, without being in Urobuchi and Iwakami's heads I may never be able to tell, but I do know this: even with miracles, magic and spoiler[time travel] available , a tidy, rainbows-and-puppies end will not go down well.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote
ok, ok, ok, who DIDN'T see that added note about SHAFT not being finished yet coming? The first thing I thought of when I pondered whether or not Madoka would be delayed was "I bet they're sighing in relief like a kid with an exam the next day".

Whatever the reason for the delay, it's understandable, though I'm totally impatient for the end of course-- you know it's going to be epic. Because every other episode has been so far. I hope this show gets licensed soon!
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Rime of the Ancient Otaku wrote:
Quote:
Update 2: Madoka Magica series script supervisor Gen Urobuchi apologized to everyone waiting to see the anime, but said that he is relieved for the delay. He explained that the anime studio SHAFT would work to the last minute on every episode — just hours before the first airing of each episode on Thursday evening (early Friday morning) in the Kanasai area on MBS. The creation of drawings for episodes 11 and 12 has been difficult, and Urobuchi thinks that airing episode 11 in the form that it is now would be "disappointing." Urobuchi and producer Atsuhiro Iwakami agree that the extra time will allow the staff to do their best.

Best, because in light of Episode 10, if the creators themselves are holding off in the name of "self-restraint" I shudder to think how much more powerful Episode 11 will get. The extra time isn't being wasted, meaning the last 2 episodes will have peoples' A Game brought to them...as if this show didn't already have that kind of intensity...

Wasn't it just the broadcasters themselves that talked about "self-restraint" in airing the episode, not Urobuchi or his staff? It seems that SHAFT mainly just wanted to keep the animation to a quality level and not have an inordinate amount of the last two episodes devolve into Meduka Meguca standards (though admittedly I barely noticed such an issue as I've watched it). And just how clear is it that things are going to be especially violent and destructive in the next episode? Sure, that appears to be the very direction the show is heading in, but so many other anime have been delayed at the same time. Or does this hold special attention because the series seems to be getting its own special little statement?

It's wonderful to know that there is still broadcast plans despite all that's happened--- just really hope this translates into it getting back on TV by next week or the week after. The longer the delay, the more likely the content can change from the scenario that Urobuchi initially wrote for the final 2 episodes.... (though I definitely still am hoping for an essentially "good ending," perhaps made possible by Some Tremendous Sacrifice by one of the characters.)

Last edited by Animerican14 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rejer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Worst, however, because I fear the temptation to recast the ending with a little more light. Of course, without being in Urobuchi and Iwakami's heads I may never be able to tell, but I do know this: even with miracles, magic and spoiler[time travel] available , a tidy, rainbows-and-puppies end will not go down well.

Seeing other shows getting delayed as well this self-restraint could probably just mean that this is not the time for watching anime guys I think. Also I think it was the guys at the channels that decided they shouldn't air the episode (and other anime as well) this week.
A light-hearted final on Madoka? I don't think Japan can endure a second earthquake soon after the first one. Well we have Urobuchi with us so it sould be okay.

But I can't believe they were going to give the audience a "disappointing" episode if that damned quake hadn't occured. It's just sad. I hope it's just Urobuchi trolling everyone so that people won't complain for the episode being delayed.
rejer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Quote:

Wasn't it just the broadcasters themselves that talked about "self-restraint" in airing the episode, not Urobuchi or his staff? It seems that SHAFT mainly just wanted to keep the animation to a quality level and not have an inordinate amount of the last two episodes devolve into Meduka Meguca standards (though admittedly I barely noticed such an issue as I've watched i). And just how clear is it that things are going to be especially violent and destructive in the next episode? Sure, that appears to be the very direction the show is heading in, but so many other anime have been delayed at the same time. Or does this hold special attention because the series seems to be getting its own special little statement?

It's wonderful to know that there is still broadcast plans despite all that's happened--- just really hope this translates into it getting back on TV by next week or the week after. The longer the delay, the more likely the content can change from the scenario that Urobuchi initially wrote for the final 2 episodes.... (though I definitely still am hoping for an essentially "good ending," perhaps made possible by Some Tremendous Sacrifice by one of the characters.)

Meguca is just people being ungrateful and annoying and nothing else. It's just meaningless when you go zooming x10 on an episode and saying that it's Shaft Quality. You can find that kind of thing in every anime.
I want a bad end and a season 2. I'm sure they can do it if they really want to.
scchan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Given the commercial success, it will be illogical the remaining episodes not getting aired. What may be more interesting is how TV schedules are effected.

I personally have no problems with delays - be that to manage public paranoia or for quality (as if the quality of the series is not high, but why not make it better if you have the time Smile ) . In fact, I am satisfied that creators being quite open on what they think about the situation from their perspective.

I am against speculating would the series be changed due to recent events. Even something does get changed last minute, it may be added back in the DVD/BD release Wink .
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote
*Sigh*

Well, this is annoying, since it seemed like the show was about to take it up another notch. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long to see it.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:41 pm Reply with quote
rejer wrote:

But I can't believe they were going to give the audience a "disappointing" episode if that damned quake hadn't occured. It's just sad. I hope it's just Urobuchi trolling everyone so that people won't complain for the episode being delayed.

You're not taking into account that the quake has likely interfered with their animation work on the series. There is really no telling if the episode would have been "disappointing" in Urobuchi's opinion if the quake had not happened.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:

You're not taking into account that the quake has likely interfered with their animation work on the series. There is really no telling if the episode would have been "disappointing" in Urobuchi's opinion if the quake had not happened.

Very specifically, in our podcast this past Monday with Sam Pinansky - who is an employee of Tezuka Productions in Japan and has been in contact with his friends at Tezuka Studios, which is working on Magica Madoka - he told us that work had stopped completely on the show due to the rolling power blackouts in Tokyo which make animation production impossible right now.
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote
rejer wrote:

I want a bad end and a season 2. I'm sure they can do it if they really want to.

Unless they were planning a 2nd season all along, I hope they don't produce one now (though given how successful it is, I'm sure they won't let it go). We all know what happens when writers tack on an unnecessary sequel to a show that has a solid ending.
We get Kuroshitsuji 2, that's what >_> (Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy that; but I also won't disagree if you say that it cheapened everything that came before it, and many Kuro fans don't count it as canon.)
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I'd rather have it end this season and well, so that it's cheaper to own when/if it eventually gets licensed.
scchan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I'd rather have it end this season and well, so that it's cheaper to own when/if it eventually gets licensed.

I do not think a sequel has to do with a good or bad end... (I do prefer a good ending). There are ways to make a sequel out from both a good or bad ending.

However, I generally do not like sequels. The reason has nothing to do with licensing. I prefer more creativity and thoughtfully developed work, and I do not think sequels are good for that. But, I will give an approval for a Madoka film Smile .

Last edited by scchan on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:

Very specifically, in our podcast this past Monday with Sam Pinansky - who is an employee of Tezuka Productions in Japan and has been in contact with his friends at Tezuka Studios, which is working on Magica Madoka - he told us that work had stopped completely on the show due to the rolling power blackouts in Tokyo which make animation production impossible right now.

Ah, I see.... does anyone have any clue at this point as to when the rolling blackouts may stop to the extent that more work can be done on the show? Or is production already starting to move back into gear? And since you're here Zac (unless you've left this thread for good), have you seen much of the series beyond episode 1? Just out of curiosity here, since there were plenty of people that didn't think too much of the show outside the very unique art direction after the first episode (or two).

And yeah, I don't really like the addition of a brand new season to the series, unless there is something very substantial to it or is not dependent on the ending ( a prequel series). I really want this "arc" to end within the next few episodes. However, I would be very open to a movie adaptation.... maybe a film that spoiler[takes place in one of the alternate timelines that Homura goes into]?

Last edited by Animerican14 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3