• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: This Week's Madoka Magica Not Aired in 'Self-Restraint'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scchan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
And yeah, I don't really like the addition of a brand new season to the series, unless there is something very substantial to it or is not dependent on the ending ( a prequel series)

There are two spin off manga series from Madoka - and one of them will be a prequel. It has Mami and Kyoko on the cover Very Happy .

Link: http://chaos-info.ldblog.jp/archives/4201781.html

Referring to your spoiler,
Animerican14 wrote:
spoiler[takes place in one of the alternate timelines that Homura goes into]

I think what we need to know about that are all covered in episode 10.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised about this. There are more important things for them to worry about! Mad

Glad to hear they think they can put the extra week to good use to make this finale all the more awesome... if they can actually get any good use out of the extra time, anyway... With so much still going on and the blackouts, who knows...

Quote:
Worst, however, because I fear the temptation to recast the ending with a little more light. Of course, without being in Urobuchi and Iwakami's heads I may never be able to tell
Yeah, this could kind of suck...
scchan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
Yeah, this could kind of suck...

I do not think we would ever know if they will do that or not, so I think that it is pointless to worry or speculate about it. What matters more is a quality ending, not a happy vs. tragic one.

Last edited by scchan on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
TJR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Ah, I see.... does anyone have any clue at this point as to when the rolling blackouts may stop to the extent that more work can be done on the show?

Rolling outages are expected to last until the end of April with enforcement decided on a day to day basis.

It'll be a while before things return to normal. Beyond power and transportation issues, you also have to consider the morale of the people working in the industry. They are undoubtedly worried about far more important things than the shows they're working on, so fans will have to be more understanding with regard to delay and quality issues.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:34 pm Reply with quote
scchan wrote:
Animerican14 wrote:
And yeah, I don't really like the addition of a brand new season to the series, unless there is something very substantial to it or is not dependent on the ending ( a prequel series)

There are two spin off manga series from Madoka - and one of them will be a prequel. It has Mami and Kyoko on the cover Very Happy .

Link: http://chaos-info.ldblog.jp/archives/4201781.html

Yeah, I was actually thinking about those little spin-offs when considering another season. Or they could simply make up an OVA. Hmm... prequel a-go-go?

scchan wrote:
Referring to your spoiler,
Animerican14 wrote:
spoiler[takes place in one of the alternate timelines that Homura goes into]

I think what we need to know about that are all covered in episode 10.

I was thinking of a spoiler[an alternate timeline-centered] movie in this context: (a) spoiler[as episode 10 has shown, there is still plenty of variance in the events across timelines, so the movie could basically be a retelling of Puella Magica] and (b) spoiler[in the event that the original series has a "bad ending," albeit with some very important and new knowledge gained by Homura, the film could be a "sequel" that actually provides a "better" end. ] Though come to think of it... the best possible scenario spoiler[would probably be a timeline where no one becomes a magical girl in the first place]. So.... yeah, maybe a movie isn't as appealing a thought after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
scchan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I think to make a good Madoka film is to first decide on whether the film is intended for a broader crowd or to attract existing fans. The X, Evangelion, Utena, Nadesico films all target existing fans, but you can watch the Escaflowne film with no prior knowledge of the TV series (I haven't watch the Macross F films, so I don't know).

I think it is easier to make a film intending to a general crowd as you are basically retelling a similar story with some stuff changed and removed.

Animerican14 wrote:
I was thinking of a spoiler[an alternate timeline-centered] movie in this context:...

As for your suggestion, it will depend what the actual series ending will be. I actually have a different idea how the ending could be, and my guess the ending will probably be a happy or a not-too-bitter one. I think the depressive level of the story has tanked, so it is likely to u-turn before the end. spoiler[Moreover, the only way the ending can conclusively is Homura time loop be broken - and that will require Madoka be saved.]
Saturn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:51 pm Reply with quote
That's not true-- there are a couple ways to spoiler[break Homura's time loop-- any situation where she dies before Madoka without having the chance to reset. So it's possible she'll die and Madoka will become a witch.] I don't think that's going to happen though-- I think we'll either have a happy(ish) ending, or spoiler[the series will end with another skip]. Either way I don't think a sequel would be a good idea.

A movie rendition would probably be kind of awesome though-- I'd love to see the story with a huge budget.
scchan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Saturn wrote:
About spoiler[Homura being dead ending]

I also do not believe that will happen, so I kind of assumed that when I suggested that earlier idea. Confused

I guess we will see. Part of the charm of Madoka Magica is speculating what will happen next anyway. Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
Sad
But I guess it is to be expected, chances are that what they can release may not even be up to the par quality, I remember all those freeze frames in some of the parts in Bakemonogatari. The show did really just hit a high in getting me wanting to watch it, I might really want to watch it, but I can appreciate a wait.
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:12 am Reply with quote
I originally heard this was cancelled, so this is definately good news. I'd rather they take there time, make sure everything is alright, and then continue airing when they are able to rather then just outright canceling because they can't make the expected deadlines.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3