• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuki-onnas in anime.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buger98346

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:38 am Reply with quote
Does anyone know of any anime that have a character that is a Yuki-Onna? For a mythical spirit that has such potential for fan service I cant say I have ever seen them in a anime or manga. I cant even say I've seen them in any Japanese movies/tv shows save one "Kwaidan(1964)".

For those of you who don't know what a Yuki-Onna is. a Yuki Onna is a Japanese snow spirit, they always have black hair and blue lips. they are depicted with either supernaturally pale white skin, or translucent skin. they are often portrayed as being always naked, or wearing a white kimono. they also are predominantly violent, and out to kill humans.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:50 am Reply with quote
Well Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan comes to mind. It's shounen though, so don't expect an accurate portrayal of a snow spirit and although she is a pretty major character nothing is told of her "duties" as a snow spirit, I could be wrong though. She is just a character that uses ice/snow based attacks. Her name in the anime is literally "Yuki-Onna".

Just a random picture I googled.

EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:07 am Reply with quote
Yay! I get to be the first one to mention Oyuki from Urusei Yatsura! Mr. Green
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqVrAxhK0Fg

Probably the definitive anime-style YO (or at least bearing an uncanny alien resemblance to one) in all of anime, although I'm sure others exist in newer series.
(Haven't seen Rosario + Vampire yet, so couldn't say.)

buger98346 wrote:
I can't even say I've seen them in any Japanese movies/tv shows save one "Kwaidan(1964)".

And "Akira Kurosawa's Dreams", of course:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THwEGyBR5GM

Last edited by EricJ on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:12 am Reply with quote
I remember there was one in the later episodes of Inuyasha that went after Miroku by posing as a widow running an orphanage.

@EricJ: Linking a full episode is against the rules.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:30 am Reply with quote
There was one in Kanokon hanging out with Tamamo, and there's the mother and daughter ice women from Rosario Vampire.
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:35 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
@EricJ: Linking a full episode is against the rules.

(Sorry - But it is OOP by now, unless someone picks it back up again. Sad )
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:44 am Reply with quote
Nobara from Inu x Boku SS

Human form:

Yuki-onna form (Japanese text not important):

In her human form she's a bit crazy and silly and is infatuated with young girls. In her Yuki-onna form she's badarse as hell, you don't want to mess with her. Her sexy clothes in this form seem to be modelled on a rather daring wedding dress; very alluring.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote
Seems that most of the ones I am familiar of have already been mentioned: Mizore, Nobara, and Tsurara. There was some particularly good OVA's recently of Nurarihyon which focued on Tsurara's mother and herself which were great for fans of the character.

Trying to look at more examples from the shows I have seen. There was Yukihana from Kanokon, I think she was a ninja too. I surprisingly cannot think of any others.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:31 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:

Probably the definitive anime-style YO (or at least bearing an uncanny alien resemblance to one) in all of anime, although I'm sure others exist in newer series.
(Haven't seen Rosario + Vampire yet, so couldn't say.)

That would be Mizore Shirayuki. The Funimation dub and subtitles translate her race's name as "Snow woman". You also see her mother Tsurara and others of her kind in the anime, and a male version in her father. (Though in his case, at least in the anime, spoiler[he's mostly dressed as a yeti though you do see his true form later).]
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Wikipedia has a Yuki-onna listing under its Japanese mythology in popular culture article. That jogged my memory for Yu Yu Hakusho, where Yukina, Hei's younger sister, is a yuki-onna from a village made up only of yuki-onna.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:07 pm Reply with quote
The iconic anime Gegege no Kitaro has a lot of Japanese spirits since it revolves around them. Aoi is an Yuki-onna in it and was a minor antagonist before turning good. Her interaction with Nekomusume was great.

Then of course you got Yukimenokofrom Pocket Monsters which is based on the legend.
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 am Reply with quote
Huh, I hadn't really thought of this before, but you are right that there are surprisingly few in anime. And those that there are tend to be more women with snow powers than actually yuki-onna. Princess Yukiko from Ghastly Prince Enma is another sorta yuki-onna, in that she looks the part and has ice powers, but personality wise does not fit.
PRchris13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
so far this is all Yuki onna i remember ... if anyone has another one please inform, thanks

Note: since Rukia in here, that does not make her a actual spirit yuki onna
but her Zanpakutou is a Yuki onna (Sode no Shirayuki)
also Nobara is not a yuki onna, but a human who's form is a yuki onna

Levitz9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
One of the side-characters in Hell Teacher Nube is a Yuki-onna. I dunno if that helps, but there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1