• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ADV Loses rights to Sonic the Hedgehog OVA?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I just noticed that majority of places that were selling them have now put the dvds to out of print, or not available. Further more, ADV's catalog, or dvd section, does not mention this at all. The DVD just upright disapeared.

Not a good sign...
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:34 pm Reply with quote
I already have it, so I don't care anymore. You can probably find it at some used DVD store or something if you really want it. It's actually not an OVA though, it's a movie.
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, since there is no hide or hair of the DVD outside of bargain bins and Ebay, one would guess that their rights to it has expired. Well they renew it, more then likely no.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Actually, now that I think about it, I've seen it new at the Fry's Electronics I go to. But they have a lot of old stuff there so it doesn't surprise me.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:41 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
I already have it, so I don't care anymore. You can probably find it at some used DVD store or something if you really want it. It's actually not an OVA though, it's a movie.

Actually, no. Japan released this as two seperate episodes, and it was only avialable on VHS. Like most OVA's, it was released on two seperate VHS tapes. (Which stores still sell this in japan, if I remember correctly)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
ChibiGoku wrote:
Actually, no. Japan released this as two seperate episodes, and it was only avialable on VHS. Like most OVA's, it was released on two seperate VHS tapes. (Which stores still sell this in japan, if I remember correctly)

You're talking about the one released by ADV. ADV classifies it as a movie. If you were talking about the Japanese release, then yes it would be an OVA. I never saw it in any stores in Japan, I'm pretty sure they don't sell it at regular stores anymore. In fact I didn't even see them sell VHS's at used stores either.
ChibiGoku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
ChibiGoku wrote:

You're talking about the one released by ADV. ADV classifies it as a movie. If you were talking about the Japanese release, then yes it would be an OVA. I never saw it in any stores in Japan, I'm pretty sure they don't sell it at regular stores anymore. In fact I didn't even see them sell VHS's at used stores either.

True, ADV says it's a movie, but I know it's a OVA released in japan. So that's why I refer it as an OVA. But anyways, when I meant by being sold in japan, I meant online stores located in japan. (Few seem to still sell 'em.)
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:28 am Reply with quote
Ataru wrote:
Well, since there is no hide or hair of the DVD outside of bargain bins and Ebay, one would guess that their rights to it has expired.

Sorry, but something being in print or not has no bearing on what rights a company still holds over the title. It's most likely they don't see any profit in printing more copies.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1