• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Trans World Bid for Musicland Approved

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I only recently noticed that the Suncoast at my mall was already gone. It was really sudden, and really sucky because I wish I had known to take advantage of sales. >_> They had some good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RogueKittiekat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:27 pm Reply with quote
That list is not accurate. My store is closing and isn't even on the list. Those are just the ones that got closed before Trans World even bought us. And its not just underperforming stores that are closing, my personal store is closing and we were contstantly in the top five performers for our district.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:17 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
tlsmith1963 wrote:
Is there a list of stores that are going to be closed? I want to know if my local Suncoast will close.

Tammy

Here is the list of Sam Goody and Suncoast store closings. The three Cleveland/Akron area stores LordRobin and I mentioned are on this list. Fortunately the Mentor store is not on the list.

Huh. I just checked the list and the store in my city is not on there, yet the store manager says that they ARE going to close. Of course, they are in a sucky location in the mall. FYE has more money so maybe they'll cough it up for a better location.

Okay, I just looked at the site again and saw that the date is for Feb. 1, 2006, so it's quite possible that my store has been added since then.
biliano

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:26 pm Reply with quote
RogueKittiekat wrote:
That list is not accurate.

If you can find an updated list, please post it. This was the best I can find when I conducted a Google search earlier today.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:35 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
RogueKittiekat wrote:
That list is not accurate.

If you can find an updated list, please post it. This was the best I can find when I conducted a Google search earlier today.

I just looked myself. Everything I saw was dated around Feb. 1. Perhaps they haven't released an updated list officially yet. Maybe on Monday there might be something.
RogueKittiekat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I believe all stores that are closing already know so your best bet would be to call your local store.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tenchi Saotome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:00 pm Reply with quote
RogueKittiekat wrote:
That list is not accurate. My store is closing and isn't even on the list. Those are just the ones that got closed before Trans World even bought us. And its not just underperforming stores that are closing, my personal store is closing and we were contstantly in the top five performers for our district.

From what the manager at the Suncoast I go to said that Suncoast's parent company tried to get some help with the rent (either reduced or free) for a certain number of months so they could get reorganized after declaring bankruptcy. The stores that are closing are the ones that couldn't get the malls help with this. The store in North Olmstead store was a good performer but West-field, the owners of Great Northern in North Olmstead didn't agree to it and so it's closing, But I think the mall where the Mentor store was did agree to it.

Last edited by Tenchi Saotome on Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
tekwych

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:41 pm Reply with quote
According to the Trans World Marketing rep I interviewed on Friday there were 67 stores notified over the last 72 hrs. that liquidators would arrive on Tuesday to start the closure process (I could not get an 'official' list). Many of these stores will simply close and the stock transferred to another facility to avoid paying another months rent. Many of these stores are closing due to either the lease not being renewed or the rent being to high (read not lowered by the Landlord).

Note also that all pop culture material (collectables, wall hangings and such) will most likely be phased out. Many of the buyers have been let go as Trans World buyers will be taking over. All stores computer systems and register system will be changed out to interface with the FYE systems.

While he would not say directly I believe there will be more closings in the third quarter of the year. I say this because there are at least 45 additional locations that have either a Sam Goody or a Suncoast AND an FYE. Also Trans World has spent the last 18 months moving ALL of their mall based facilities to the FYE brand, I doubt they will end this program.

www.heygofigure.net
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:17 am Reply with quote
I hope they change the sam goody in the mall into a Suncoast. I doubt it since they closed the suncoast in the same mall about a year ago
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:20 am Reply with quote
the stores notified Feb 1..are they gone already? or are they having sales?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I went into my store in Riverside, CA and was told that as of Tomorrow (Tues., Mar. 28, 2006,) they were not going to scan Replay cards, take mall gift certifcates, Suncoast Gift Cards or Replay Rewards. It's strickly cash and charge.

Not to mention the fact, no new releases.
tekwych

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:01 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
the stores notified Feb 1..are they gone already? or are they having sales?

They should all be closed down by now.

LydiaDianne wrote:
I went into my store in Riverside, CA and was told that as of Tomorrow (Tues., Mar. 28, 2006,) they were not going to scan Replay cards, take mall gift certifcates, Suncoast Gift Cards or Replay Rewards. It's strickly cash and charge.
Not to mention the fact, no new releases.

Saturday is the 1st and that means another month's rent. Expect several of these stores to close REALY fast.

Go! Figure A Place For Collectors, By Collectors
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2