• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
@kenshin101: If you want to discuss those rating issues, feel free to open your own thread on the subject in the forums. Don't post it in this thread.

As far as how well Haruhi will do in the US... I'm actually not sure what to expect. I know it won't get anywhere near the popularity of anime like Cowboy Bebop, Naruto, or Trigun, just because the show doesn't have the "coolness" and "badass" factor going for it... but I can see it becoming somewhat popular. I can't see it not getting licensed though, unless the licensing companies are completely blind to its popularity in Japan and on the internet (which I know they aren't). I see it as being a good selling title, definately for most serious and/or hardcore anime fans, or even the moderate anime buyer. But I don't see it as being an appealing title to most casual anime fans (as in the ones who watch Adult Swim, shop at Hot Topic, and don't know of fansubs' existance), who by far outnumber all other levels of fans.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Ah, well I didn't know that, thanks for the info Anime smile

But yea, the VAs will have a very hard time trying to live up to expectations. I say don't get your hopes too high, the higher they are, the longer the fall if they don't reach them. I'm not saying that American dubs are horrible, it's just that the original VAs are very good and match the characters very well, which can be hard for the English dub because, well, how many Americans have the voice of Gotou Yukou (or however you wanna spell it, and w/e order you want it)? How many have the voice of Hirano Aya? This is where it will get hard, these VAs suit these characters almost too well, so the dubbers will have a much harder time trying to live up to those characters. IMO I don't think a dub could really bring out the same feelings as the original, but that's just how I feel.

Eh, I'm starting to lose my train of thought...again... so I'll just stop there.

Heh, my train of thought tends to derail a lot.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:

Better that, than to have your train of thought perpetually still boarding at the station....

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:19 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Daemonblue wrote:

Better that, than to have your train of thought perpetually still boarding at the station....

- abunai

Seriously. Though it might be better for some people to have left their train at the station than to let it get derailed in the middle of nowhere and not realize it until someone points out their train of thought is 100 miles from the track in the middle of Siberia. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:14 pm Reply with quote
For anyone that's curious and wants to have fun, the English Track forum in the AnimeOnDVD forums made a thread of a fantasy cast: Click me!

There are interesting choices for the role of Haruhi though they seem to be dead set on a Houston cast. Not that surprising though since this is pretty much something ADV can excel at. Laughing
Niceguy9418

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Finally finished it. I was about 10 episodes in and put it down for awhile. Now that I'm finished, I'm changing my vote from "Excellent" to "Masterpiece." Once I saw the whole story, non-linear storytelling and all, I was so blown away. Now I'm sure there are some reading this and thinking "newbie" and they would be right - I STILL have not seen enough complete series to even make a top ten list - but to me this is a perfect example of why I love anime: Wonderfully quirky and interesting characters, a mindblowing premise (scary implication anyway!), superb art, just enough action to keep it moving (I'm not a fan of the wall-to-wall action DBZ style fighting or mecha genre's) and the probing of many deep philosophical issues, without preaching one opinion over another - IOW it leaves you with a lot to ponder and talk about. Is it the best ever? Probably not.

But is it the worst ever? Well, look at it this way: If those (what is it now?) 45 people could only cast a SINGLE VOTE for "Worst Ever" I highly doubt anyone in their right mind could hate this one that much.

Overated? Nah. I'm glad for the hype. I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise. And as high as my expectations were, I really, totally loved it. I hope they do more of the series (sighs, boredom, vanishing, rampage, agitation, Intrigues & Indignation.) I realize thhat some of boredom, rampage and agitation was used in the anime - but I'd still love to see full-on 26 episode 2nd season.)
Niceguy9418

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:12 pm Reply with quote
selenta wrote:
abunai wrote:
Daemonblue wrote:

- abunai

Seriously. Though it might be better for some people to have left their train at the station than to let it get derailed in the middle of nowhere and not realize it until someone points out their train of thought is 100 miles from the track in the middle of Siberia. Laughing

Don't pass judgement on someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

That way, if they want to kick your @$$, they won't be able to catch you - since you'll be a mile away, and wearing their shoes!
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote
Finished it today. A masterpiece on so many levels. However I would hate to think that the story would end so, um, shortly. A new season or movie would be awesome, and many of the Japanese fans want the same (see that "Haruhi Returns" thread for proof of that). The animators and whatnot would listen to them more than us.

But there's one thing that still wasn't explained. It's silly: the talking cat in the first (rather 9th chronologically) episode.

Does anyone else think this would work as a live-action show, too? Could be funny and interesting.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Does anyone else think this would work as a live-action show, too? Could be funny and interesting.

Yes, perhaps.

It seems that there's been a trend towards adapting all sorts of pop-culture phenomena (Nana, Densha Otoko, whatevar) into live-action in Japan (or maybe it's just that J-live-action media is getting easier to, cough cough, access these days, so I'm only noticing it now). But also, the industry has been waking up to the buying power of obsessive nutball fans, as opposed to fickle "mainstream" people who jump a trend and leave 6 months later. The case against live-action Haruhi: the extremely vocal niche audience is still a niche, no matter how you look at it. The case for live-action Haruhi: that audience has money to burn, KA-CHING!

But hell, if they can do a TV drama about frickin' cheerleaders, why NOT pitch a school sci-fi comedy....
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:14 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
Finished it today. A masterpiece on so many levels. However I would hate to think that the story would end so, um, shortly. A new season or movie would be awesome, and many of the Japanese fans want the same (see that "Haruhi Returns" thread for proof of that). The animators and whatnot would listen to them more than us.

But there's one thing that still wasn't explained. It's silly: the talking cat in the first (rather 9th chronologically) episode.

You mean 11th chronologically. And the story doesn't end there, as was mentioned before, this is just mostly the first novel and parts of 2-4 (correct me if I'm wrong) of the 8 or 9 novels of the series, so there's a possibility of a second season, but as I mentioned, the story doesn't end so shortly, as you put it.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:37 pm Reply with quote
From Anime News Services:

Quote:
The official Haruhi Suzumiya animation website has updated with an unusual item towards the bottom of the main page. "Summer Vacation Assignment" (Natsuyasumi No Kadai) gives a list of things for SOS members to do during their summer break, they include Camping, Pool, Bon Festival Dance, Fireworks, Celestial Observation, Batting Practice, Insect Collecting and Testing Courage. Even stranger, at the bottom this page is a hidden code. Hold the left mouse button and pan across the center of the white box at the bottom of this page. You will highlight some text, which translated reads "Your Summer Vacation [followed by random number sequence]". Could these be hints of a coming anime sequel TV series? The cover of the just released September, 2006 edition of Japanese Newtype Magazine featured the SOS leader for the first time along with the text "Haruhi Suzumiya Returns".

This might be the good news us Haruhi fans have been looking for.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I think Haruhi fans had better just wait until it's explicitely stated by KyoAni that there'll be another season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:59 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
From Anime News Services:

Quote:
...The cover of the just released September, 2006 edition of Japanese Newtype Magazine featured the SOS leader for the first time along with the text "Haruhi Suzumiya Returns".

As mentioned before though, this bit of information has proven to just be some misleading text included on the cover, most likely just to draw attention.
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Patachu wrote:
omnistry wrote:

Yes, perhaps.

It seems that there's been a trend towards adapting all sorts of pop-culture phenomena (Nana, Densha Otoko, whatevar) into live-action in Japan (or maybe it's just that J-live-action media is getting easier to, cough cough, access these days, so I'm only noticing it now). But also, the industry has been waking up to the buying power of obsessive nutball fans, as opposed to fickle "mainstream" people who jump a trend and leave 6 months later. The case against live-action Haruhi: the extremely vocal niche audience is still a niche, no matter how you look at it. The case for live-action Haruhi: that audience has money to burn, KA-CHING!

But hell, if they can do a TV drama about frickin' cheerleaders, why NOT pitch a school sci-fi comedy....

I don't know about that... Haruhi is certainly a niche fandom here in the US, but in Japan it was by no means a "small" or "niche" thing. I'm sure you saw the Akihabara murals, the posters, the news on the CD singles. Even if it is a technically a "niche" over in Japan, that "niche" stood in line for hours and sold out the first single in nearly every store in Japan for like 4 days if I remember correctly. That's a pretty darn big "niche" if you ask me. Being an "obsessive fan" is a pretty mainstream thing there, and for such a popular show, I'd have a really hard time believing that anything that has to do with the show (whether it really deserves it or not) will not sell well in Japan.
kenshin101

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
@kenshin101: If you want to discuss those rating issues, feel free to open your own thread on the subject in the forums. Don't post it in this thread.

I want an apology for that, seriously. I'm not the one who started the ratings thing, someone else did. If you go check my first post I was telling someone that different people have different opinions...that's it. Then someone else responded and they were the ones who brought ratings into it, not me. To have you more or less tell me to shut up about it is confusing really. I mean why would you say that to me, the only reason I put any sort of ratings into my post is because someone else, who was responding to my first post BTW, put them up first and I decided to throw one in too. Just to show them that I am not against them and think that they're right. All I want is an apology, I wouldn't be asking for one if I didn't think I deserved one.

On the subject, I think that Haruhi will do just fine in the US. I don't think it will be wildly popular like some other anime but it will do fine. A lot of the people that watch those popular anime are shallow in my opinion, they go for that "cool" and "badass" type of anime regardless of actual quality. I wouldn't worry though, real anime fans do exist out there although there aren't as much of them as there are mainstream fans. However there also mainstream fans who are starting to wake up and smell the coffee so-to-speak, I think you know what I mean by that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 56 of 213