• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-04-14]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:
What about animeacademy.com , any reason I should not look there? Question I think they normally give a fair shake.

Keep in mind that Zac's list wasn't meant to be all-inclusive.

Anime Academy has some respectable content and an interesting style, but I have to be at least a bit suspicious of a site which ranks Visions of Escaflowne as its second-best anime title overall and calls it "the best anime title of the decade [the 90s]." (Granted, it's a good series but not that good.) Their forums also apparently allow signatures on posts, which gets really out of hand. Makes me glad that ANN doesn't allow them.

Yes I know it was not all-inclusive. However if you visit the site enough, you get to know that each individual reviewer has been hand-picked for there individual preferences. Answermans topic was to find reviews that were worth time to read, I believe. The key with this site is to get to know your reviewers, you might have to sift through a dozen reviews to do so. (I think all should be done by two at least) The best are when two or more does one review. Usually I think you get a well rounded view. Don't get me wrong I am not defending the site, simply most anime that have been reviewed there favorably, I have enjoyied. I don't know how else to write it. There are only two sites I go to for info, one of the sites is this one, the other is... well I will let you guess.

Oh and about the forums, I really don't know. I rarely go there. You may be very right. I guess I am mostly interested in the reviews, and that is what I check on if I am online. I guess because they seem concise. Again the forums you mentioned, I can't defend nor agree.

Either way, this answerman has given me a couple more places to explore, that's positive right. I think google has ben infiltrated by the Communist Chinese, Can't find anything good these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
.Sy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:56 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
No mention of the prestigious Anime Academy anime review site?
Their reviews make sense by themselves, but when titles are put in ranking order...some titles I wouldn't quite put near their particular spots. I thought Millenium Actress and Spirited Away would've surely gotten an A.
ThirdWizard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:56 pm Reply with quote
A thoughtful rant? Isn't that an oxymoron? I always thought the point of a rant was to be as insulting and irrational as possible. Wink

The internet is kind of like a mob. On their own people are for the most part civilized and nice, but when you put them in a large group, they'll rip your arms off for any excuse you can think of. Ah the intarweb. Smile

I look forward to reading these. I wonder how many you'll get about Evangelion. You have my condolances. ^^;
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:45 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Their reviews make sense by themselves, but when titles are put in ranking order...some titles I wouldn't quite put near their particular spots.

I'll say. A few examples of their rankings that I, um, don't particularly agree with:

Bottle Fairy > Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mouse > Kiddy Grade

And the kicker:

spoiler[Love Hina > Spirited Away & Howl's Moving Castle]
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Adam Arnold wrote:
Zac, I do have to correct you on the Evangelion anime/manga dates. The manga actually did start before the anime came out.

I was coming to post the same thing. Darn it Answerman, you're usually so reliable. (Unless what you meant by your answer is that the manga didn't precede the anime in the usual way we think about anime/manga adaptation process working.)
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:39 pm Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
HyweinKioko4031;
The best film schools I know of are UCLA, USC, and the University of Texas, at Austin.

If you're on the east coast try NYU or SVA, as they both have animation programs (although you'd get a degree in film from NYU, like I did *coughcoughcough*). I believe there's also a very well-respected animation program somewhere in Canada, but I forget where.

A degree in film/animation is necessary nowadays, although during the dotcom boom people could and did drop out of college to go work on flash animation. It used to be you just had to know how to draw, and a college degree didn't necessarily help. The guy who sits next to me at work is going back to school to get his bachelor's. When he entered the job market 20 years ago it wasn't necessary.

If you're really interested really, read this book:

The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion, and Internet Animators
by Richard Williams
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0571202284

This book has everything you would learn in an intro to animation class. Wouldn't hurt to know some of it ahead of time.

Also listen to how Andreas Deja got his start at an animator:
http://animationpodcast.com/archives/2005/05/01/the-animation-podcast-andreas-deja-part-one/

That interview is really inspiring and informative.

And seriously draw every day. Draw more than anyone else you know. No animator ever says that they wish they drew less when they were kids.
Shinji Takase

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:15 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

And the kicker:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

What the....????

Holy Psychiatric Ward, Batman!
Ceru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
jaybug39 wrote:
HyweinKioko4031;
The best film schools I know of are UCLA, USC, and the University of Texas, at Austin.

If you're on the east coast try NYU or SVA, as they both have animation programs (although you'd get a degree in film from NYU, like I did *coughcoughcough*). I believe there's also a very well-respected animation program somewhere in Canada, but I forget where.

A degree in film/animation is necessary nowadays, although during the dotcom boom people could and did drop out of college to go work on flash animation. It used to be you just had to know how to draw, and a college degree didn't necessarily help. The guy who sits next to me at work is going back to school to get his bachelor's. When he entered the job market 20 years ago it wasn't necessary.

The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion, and Internet Animators
by Richard Williams

This book has everything you would learn in an intro to animation class. Wouldn't hurt to know some of it ahead of time.

http://animationpodcast.com/archives/2005/05/01/the-animation-podcast-andreas-deja-part-one/

And seriously draw every day. Draw more than anyone else you know. No animator ever says that they wish they drew less when they were kids.

The Canadian school "somewhere" you're probably thinking of is Sheridan, in Toronto. Although it's regarded as one of the best in the world, and definitely the best bang for your buck, even if you're international (CalArts is great and all, but $30 000 USD *just* for tuition?? Give me a break...), there are some other decent places in Canada as well.

-Senece College (Toronto, which is btw NOT the capital of Canada)
-Algonquin College (Ottawa, which IS)
-Vancouver Film School (hefty tuition fees though)

Check out AWN.com for more info. Smile
Ceru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
jaybug39 wrote:
HyweinKioko4031;

by Richard Williams

The Canadian school "somewhere" you're probably thinking of is Sheridan, in Toronto. Although it's regarded as one of the best in the world, and definitely the best bang for your buck, even if you're international (CalArts is great and all, but $30 000 USD *just* for tuition?? Give me a break...), there are some other decent places in Canada as well.

-Senece College (Toronto, which is btw NOT the capital of Canada)
-Algonquin College (Ottawa, which IS)
-Vancouver Film School (hefty tuition fees though)

erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote
Ceru wrote:
(CalArts is great and all, but $30 000 USD *just* for tuition?? Give me a break...)

Heh, yeah, NYU cost at least $36K-$38K for tuition and again that much for housing. But the dean of animation just won an Oscar this year...

...nevertheless, a lot of people forget about the hidden cost of film school. Although you can get student loans and then defer the payment after you graduate, the sad truth is that you (usually) can't get a good job straight out of college, in animation, film, or any artsy job that sounds fun. Someone has to support you while you work your way up as an intern and a P.A. and a freelancer. It takes a long time in such a competitive industry to be self-sufficiant.

It's not like getting a computer science degree where someone will pay you $40K right out of school and give you health insurance, a steady paycheck, and a 401K. If you have health insurance in the animation industry you're damn lucky. The same goes for stuff like being a freelance writer.

Ceru wrote:

That's a great site for animation jobs and news and stuff!
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Shinji Takase wrote:
PantsGoblin wrote:

And the kicker:

Shocked Shocked Shocked

What the....????

Holy Psychiatric Ward, Batman!

Rolling Eyes if you look at the the ranked numbers of course you find things you disagree with. If you actually read them, you find yourself agree more in general. anyway not worth defending anymore, I simply thought it would have made the list.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3