• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-06-23]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyweinKioko4031

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:00 pm Reply with quote
bink1227 wrote:
ok, i don't really care for yaoi. having said that, i do find the incest a bit disturbing. and it's not just that it's incest, which is already enough of a social taboo. it's the fact that a lot of this stuff is being written by prepubescent girls. i don't mean to say that people shouldn't write what they feel like writing. it's just that when i started reading fanfiction (about 2 years ago) at the ripe old age of 22, i definitely wasn't expecting to see homosexual incest stories between characters that appeal to and are created by pre-teen and teen girls.

THANK YOU! Good gravy, you don't know how awkward it is to have all my other fifteen year-old friends talking about this stuff...Especially since I KNOW all this is way beyond what we should know as teens.

The other thing that bothers me, is when fans take pairings WAY out of context. Take for example, Axel and Roxas from KH2 spoiler[ I love the fact that they're friends in the game (Axel is one of my favorite characters anyway) I think it's a great way to really convince the player to connect his/her emotions with the emotions of the characters and to get the player thinking about what it really means to have a heart. Which -- I guess -- is how RoxasXAxel fans feel too. And maybe it's just me, but I didn't find any evidence that would suggest a homosexual relationship, so it kind of bothers me when I go looking for Axel fanart and have to see him making love to Roxas]
bink1227

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:10 pm Reply with quote
hanachan01 wrote:

And I agree with you about the magazine covers....but 10,000?? Confused Shocked

just making fun of the magazine Smile

on fanfiction dot net, where i post, there seems to be some kind of rating system. they do hide M rated stories initially as well, but it's really easy to switch the search criteria to include M rated stories. i've seen some authors link to other pages for the more racy parts of their stories...but that kind of begs the question "if you don't need to read it to get the point of the story, is it really necessary in the first place?" I've never read a lemon where the sex scene was intrinsic to the plot, and i don't write them for a lot of reasons, one of them being that i think it detracts from the story i'm trying to tell. BUT that's a pretty subjective call. i'm a big fan of leaving more to the imagination. i realize there are people who are not going to agree with me on this, though.

there's also the issue of violence in fanfiction in general. i mean, what makes a sex scene bad but a brutal murder okay? i really don't know the answers to these questions myself, so i'm absolutely not pointing fingers here. while i refrain from lemons, i do write violent scenes. people are drawn to fictional violence as entertainment...but is violence better for kids to read about than sex? i can't say i agree with that... i realize that a lot of these anime have pretty intense violent scenes in them. (i used to have to "parent-proof" the anime i brought home when i was a teenager. this involved viewing the anime i rented and determining if it was suitable for my mom to watch, which REALLY meant i was determining if this particular anime would cause my mom to panic and end up with me banned from ever watching anime again.) so...violence seemes like it's an entrenched theme, but again, it seems like being conscious of the violence in the story and the people who are reading it is still important.

most authors do a really good job of labeling their stuff and rating it correctly, so i guess that's the best thing, and i really like the community that fanfiction creates. it just worries me sometimes.
bink1227

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:15 pm Reply with quote
HyweinKioko4031 wrote:
THANK YOU! Good gravy, you don't know how awkward it is to have all my other fifteen year-old friends talking about this stuff...Especially since I KNOW all this is way beyond what we should know as teens.

The other thing that bothers me, is when fans take pairings WAY out of context.

yeah, i know what you mean. vashxknives? AWKWARD!!! just the fact that the word "twincest" is known and accepted throughout fanficdom is a little awkward...

Last edited by bink1227 on Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the only thing that annoys me about a lot of yaoi fangirls is that thy seem to only be able to appreciate something based on whatever homosexual fantasies they can derive from it. They don't seem to actually sincerely be interested in the work itself, just whatever "pairings" they like best. They don't really seem to care much about the actual story behind something like Kingdom Hearts, just that they'd love to see Sora and Sephiroth getting it on. That I never see these people discussing the work outside of "pairings" kinda adds to this; they get excited not about new shows or movies or games, they get excited at the prospect of new 'pairings'.

Which annoys me.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:23 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
À propos of nothing...

I looked at that picture of the prize in this week's contest -- and I swear that, at first glance, it seemed to me that the title was "Those Who Hunt Elvis". Rolling Eyes

- abunai
...has left the building.
Yo! I thought it was just me, or my medication, that made me see the exact samething. I had to look at it again really close. Shocked
dentedonion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
yeah, i know what you mean. vashxknives? AWKWARD!!! just the fact that the word "twincest" is known and accepted throughout fanficdom is a little awkward...

Ugh, I remember the whole twincest discussion on another forum...it feels like people are missing the point of their relationship in the story when it gets boiled down to something like this.

Quote:
Honestly, the only thing that annoys me about a lot of yaoi fangirls is that thy seem to only be able to appreciate something based on whatever homosexual fantasies they can derive from it. They don't seem to actually sincerely be interested in the work itself, just whatever "pairings" they like best. They don't really seem to care much about the actual story behind something like Kingdom Hearts, just that they'd love to see Sora and Sephiroth getting it on. That I never see these people discussing the work outside of "pairings" kinda adds to this; they get excited not about new shows or movies or games, they get excited at the prospect of new 'pairings'.

I haven't personally come across anyone who only cares about the "hot" pairings and ignores the rest of the anime, but it doesn't really surprise me that some fangirls are actually like that.

If I ever have kids, I don't think i'm going to let them anywhere near the internet until they're teenagers. That might sound backwards to some people, but I feel that it's impossible to completely sensor any part of the internet, much less fanfiction. I know I wouldn't want my kid exposed to stuff like incestual rape of 6 year old girls or something. And if it's in the form of anime, the poor child might stumble across it while looking for more innocent cartoons. And at the rate things are going now, this stuff will be even more accessable to people then it already is. (end of mini rant)
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Trowa wrote:

I have to agree with you, I would like to see Zac go back to decent questions

Define "decent questions" for me please.

Anything but the following:

"When will X series come to the USA?"
ANYTHING dealing with Fansubs/AMV and the legality or illegal actions.
"I have this great idea for an anime/manga/hentai......."

And **** the puppies. I wanan see pussycats.

--------------------

And on the whole Yaoi thing, you only to blame Xena slashfiction writes for that mess.

Last edited by Abarenbo Shogun on Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Akukaze

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Which annoys me.

You know, I never thought of that before, but now that you mention it, that pretty much hits the nail on the head for me. And it's even worse when there's a series like Loveless that has a deep plot and characters with more than just one dimension, but all the fangirls care about is when Ritsuka's going to lose his ears.

As a "borderline fangirl" when a pairing (het, yaoi, or yuri) appeals to me, it's because it says something about the characters involved. For example, the relationship between Nana and Hachi in Nana. Even if you don't view it in a romantic light (and for the most part I don't) it's interesting how they interact and depend on each other in completely different ways.

Also, Zac, what criteria do you use when deciding what questions to include in you columns? I sent in a question back on May 1st and it hasn't been adressed, so I was just wondering if I did something wrong, or something.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bink1227

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:14 pm Reply with quote
dentedonion wrote:
If I ever have kids, I don't think i'm going to let them anywhere near the internet until they're teenagers. That might sound backwards to some people, but I feel that it's impossible to completely sensor any part of the internet, much less fanfiction. I know I wouldn't want my kid exposed to stuff like incestual rape of 6 year old girls or something. And if it's in the form of anime, the poor child might stumble across it while looking for more innocent cartoons. And at the rate things are going now, this stuff will be even more accessable to people then it already is. (end of mini rant)

i agree with you and it makes me feel like a fuddy-duddy... but when kids get to go onto the internet by themselves, myspace gets sued.

can you even IMAGINE what would happen if some sensationalist 10 oclock news expose ran on fanfiction? it would be a freakin witch hunt!
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Zac wrote:
Trowa wrote:

I think that pretty much eliminates 90% of all potential questions. And didn't someone say earlier that they wanted Zac to go back to answering when will X series get licensed? I have some advice for Zac. I read you column. I enjoy your column. I have recently started reading the forum to your column and have come to only one conclusion. Ignore what is in the forum. These people ARE fickle. Please one person and one hundred will complain. I'm personnally go through phases were I read forums. This is followed by the phase where I am reminded why I don't read forums. Followed by the phase where I ignore forums for a year or so. Followed by another 6 weeks of forum reading until I am reminded why I stopped reading in the first place. Thanks folks for reminding me why I so rarely read forums. See ya in a year or so.
RDespair

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:28 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed your column this week. I enjoy the column just about every week. Keep up the good work. Oh and I'll try to think up an interesting question to send in for the 251st one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashkah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps it is because I've been around the yaoi fandom for long enough to know my way around it and to be able to pick out the specific reasons and points that the genre of fiction exists, but I found the yaoi rant to be actually kind of weak. There were points made, but they didn't have a stable foundation behind them, and any yaoi veteran could come in and pick apart every single one of them, including the Ginji/Akabane pairing side point which was a really poor pairing to examplify when ranting about the crack pairing phenomenon anyway(which incidentally isn't just in the yaoi genre).

The main counterpoints which came to mind while reading it were these:
1.) If you want more Yuri, go out and write it yourself. A couple of people here have already made this point. Most all the fiction writers I know are not in the business of satisfying others. They are out to satisfy their own tastes and whims. They are not going to go change what it is they write to suit YOUR wants. So whining about something and not doing anything about it yourself only makes you look like an idiot.
2.) If you are searching for yuri and you keep finding yaoi, then obviously you are not using the right search criteria. All you have to do is go to any search engine that's worth anything and type in your fave series along with the word 'yuri' and I guarantee you'll get some hits. I can't promise they'll be any good, but at least you'd get some.
3.) It's always good to be familiar with which series are more prone to generating yuri. If you are looking for yuri in the Naruto fandom or any other testosterone-dominated shounen series, well then good luck. I'm not saying it isn't there, but it's very uncommon, and I couldn't guarantee anything on quality. In those types of series, it's much easier to justify the yaoi than it is the yuri. Only in shounen series where there is an almost equal balance of males to females(i.e. Bleach) would there ever be any type of legit yuri fanbase. Your best bet would be looking through Shoujo series. Series like Sailor Moon, Utena, and Magic Knight Rayearth. "But I'm male, I don't like shoujo." Well then I guess for the most part, you're out of luck.
4.) Lastly, the opposite pairings thing has a lot more to do with chemistry than 'they just look hot together'. An author has a lot more leadway with plot with a pairing that starts off fighting with each other tooth and nail, than with a pair who is all lovey-dovey from first sight(i.e. Tamahome and Miaka). It helps largely with plot devices and makes the stories more interesting to read. This goes for any fiction genre. Finding a way for them to feasably compromise becomes a challenge to the author.

And that's my two cents on the matter, anyway.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Akukaze wrote:
Also, Zac, what criteria do you use when deciding what questions to include in you columns? I sent in a question back on May 1st and it hasn't been adressed, so I was just wondering if I did something wrong, or something.

Yes, I have never sent in a question, but if I did, I would like to know what criteria makes you instantly hit the delete button, and what will hold your interest.

EDIT: okay guys I think he's gotten the point

Last edited by Dargonxtc on Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
xvkarbear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:25 pm Reply with quote
sabriyahm wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Zac wrote:
Trowa wrote:

I think that pretty much eliminates 90% of all potential questions. And didn't someone say earlier that they wanted Zac to go back to answering when will X series get licensed? I have some advice for Zac. I read you column. I enjoy your column. I have recently started reading the forum to your column and have come to only one conclusion. Ignore what is in the forum. These people ARE fickle. Please one person and one hundred will complain. I'm personnally go through phases were I read forums. This is followed by the phase where I am reminded why I don't read forums. Followed by the phase where I ignore forums for a year or so. Followed by another 6 weeks of forum reading until I am reminded why I stopped reading in the first place. Thanks folks for reminding me why I so rarely read forums. See ya in a year or so.

It's true, people complain.

I complained. But I've been reading Zac's column since before he took it over again. Everything was great! I enjoyed reading it and the information I got from it.

and that's why I read it, for the information. I use to go: Sad a new answerman isn't until friday! And it's only monday! But ever since his Hiatus a month or so ago, I feel like the column has spiraled down into the same questions every week. Did I say something four issues ago? No. Why? Because I thought he'd change tactics, answer different questions. He hasn't, so I finally spoke up.

If that makes me fickle ( Razz ) So be it.

I just know that answerman can be so much more, and lately it hasn't been.

As for your forum-hating. I like to argue and discuss and thats why I love forums and message boards. It's not for everyone. Byebye, hate to sound mean, but you probably won't be missed. It sounded more dramatic then anything. You do realize you just added to the mess, right? The whole reasons why you hate forums.. tiny bit Hippocratic.

As for Zac..

I'm glad you've realized yourself that the fansub questions are getting boring. and I'm glad you responded to my post so gentlemanly like. Kudos for you. I am a happy reader. (although the bunny avatar helpped)

But I'd rather see answers and the reasoning for your answers to when "super awesome shojo painters" is going to be licenced then this fansub and industry stuff any day.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:06 pm Reply with quote
dentedonion wrote:

I haven't personally come across anyone who only cares about the "hot" pairings and ignores the rest of the anime, but it doesn't really surprise me that some fangirls are actually like that.

Have you been to the FanFiction.Net forums?

*shudders*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9