• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:46 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:

Yes, they both need protecting. And isn't it funny that the times where it's most obvious has been a school. For Tohru it was when she was told to "stand there and wait" and for Kisa it was at the school fesitval...and, gee, both moments involved boys getting ready to hit on them! Shocked Wink Laughing

Yes, and what's even funnier is the fact that they both don't seem to see the interest that the boys have in them. So they are totally clueless by the attraction that exercise over the boys. I think because they look so pretty and so naive that they seem to be such an easy target. Laughing Now, this isn't exactly a good thing, but damn, they both have their heroes (Hiro and Kyo come to rescue Wink Very Happy ).

And in a way they both have the power to change the people that they love: Kyo isn't the same after he meets Tohru and Hiro's way to connect to people becomes smoother. And it's all because of them.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
True. Both of them change people's lives. And Kisa can be more thought of as a younger version of Tohru, obviously. Both spoiler[of the boys who liked them had to find the courage through their own demons to finally get to that point where they put out their true feelings for the girls, and they were also forgiving of them when they were told of what wronged them. ]Truly a beautiful pairing.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:52 pm Reply with quote
#19 is out today! I bought it before heading off to musical practice. Cool

I'll go into depth later, but after reading (or re-reading in English) half of it, I'd have to say we've hit a new moist layer of aaaaaanst. Very Happy
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:06 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
#19 is out today! I bought it before heading off to musical practice. Cool

Well, hopefully Barnes & Noble will send me an e-mail that my copy is in soon!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Ahh, very good. Soon we'll be able to discuss volume 19 soon!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:34 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
True. Both of them change people's lives. And Kisa can be more thought of as a younger version of Tohru, obviously. Both spoiler[of the boys who liked them had to find the courage through their own demons to finally get to that point where they put out their true feelings for the girls, and they were also forgiving of them when they were told of what wronged them. ]Truly a beautiful pairing.

Yes. Another resemblance between these two beautiful girls is the fact that they seem to be related in the matter of parents as well. If I remember correctly, in the case of Kisa Takaya-san talks about only spoiler[her mother who was very anxious when she couldn't find her at that time when Kisa ran away from home. Also she is mentioned by Tohru who realizes that Kisa's mother is one of the parents (very few indeed) who don't feel "punished" for having a child transforming into an animal. Well, it is easier to Kisa's mother for she and Kisa share the same sex and therefore there are no problems there. The father seems to be an absent figure, because he is not mentioned. ]

On th other hand we have Tohru who lives also under the strong image of her mother of which she can't part. So I think in a way this is also something that connects them, because Kisa knows how is like to have a a kind and loving mother and she understands what her loss might mean. That's why I believe she found also the courage to spoiler[put Hiro to his rightful place at the seaside. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:09 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Both moms of these women wanted to understand what was going on with their daughters. ]Like you said aya_honda, spoiler[Kisa's mother was worried about what had happened to her, since she had been gone for several days. The same thing had happened to Tohru since she got lost, although Kyoko was ready to go Rambo if anything happened to Tohru] Laughing

On a side note, I have been working on seeing how everybody has been doing in the thread, and so far I've gotten up to page 86 with posts. As soon as I can finish the rest I'll be able to update the index post on the first page to see how the stats on this thread are. I wouldn't be surprised if half the posts in here are by me Laughing
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:54 am Reply with quote
Yes, I can picture Kyoko go spoiler[balistic at the moment she realized that her daughter has been missing. Probably the same thing had happened to Kisa's mother, because she seems like a loving mother as well. But we didn't get the chance to see that. It is strange that we get to see so few parents of the zodiac who treat well their children developed as characters. I think that I would have liked a lot to see also the good part of the parents developed more. Sometimes I think we got to much of the bad side of these characters and just not too much good. ]

And related to how Kisa and Tohru relate to their mothers, I think that spoiler[their mothers could do something up to a certain point. Kisa must learn to live with her own strength and find the power of being herself. On the other hand I'm afraid that Tohru has gone through the same experience that she also had to struggle and discover her own strength. They both have to face society and their peers and soon they discover that's a whole wide world out there. ]

Fighterholic, I definetly can't picture anyone with more posts on this thread than you. Laughing I would be shocked if anything else happens!!!! You were the constant here. Very Happy But I'm happy that there were also other people here that kept the thread alive, when others were disappearing (my disappearence, the most eloquent exemple Crying or Very sad ); definetly a most heart warming "thanks" to them (you know who you are Wink )
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote
When you point that out a note should be taken that the circumstances of spoiler[each girl's father may or may not have been the same. We never got to see Kisa's father, either he could be dead, he just didn't care about Kisa and ran away, or maybe he was always there and we just didn't get to see him. Who knows? Tohru had to go through what happened because of the situation implied on her mother, the loss of her father. It seems to me that Kisa had to go through her situation because one: Akito sent her to the hospital. Two, she couldn't communicate with those she knew, including her mother to tell how she felt.]

I know aya_honda, like we have said many times before nobody could have expected this thread to grow to what it has become: the monster thread of the manga forum. It's so wonderful to be a part of it especially when the series is one of your own that you love and adore Wink
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
The thread that grew from love. Anime catgrin
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Please tell me that you weren't watching First Wive's Club...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Not lately but that is exactly where I got that from. (Diane Keaton is fun in that movie, though Victor Garber was a scene stealer, especially his last scene with Sarah Jessica Parker. Classic.)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
LydiaDianne wrote:
Not lately but that is exactly where I got that from. (Diane Keaton is fun in that movie, though Victor Garber was a scene stealer, especially his last scene with Sarah Jessica Parker. Classic.)

That was actually a funny movie to watch Smile Now you've gotten me thinking about it.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:53 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

He was just expressing the love that we all feel towards this thread... Laughing Wink I'm with you, Richard. Very Happy

fighterholic wrote:

Quote:
When you point that out a note should be taken that the circumstances of spoiler[each girl's father may or may not have been the same. We never got to see Kisa's father, either he could be dead, he just didn't care about Kisa and ran away, or maybe he was always there and we just didn't get to see him. Who knows? Tohru had to go through what happened because of the situation implied on her mother, the loss of her father. It seems to me that Kisa had to go through her situation because one: Akito sent her to the hospital. Two, she couldn't communicate with those she knew, including her mother to tell how she felt. ]

Even now I can't understand how Akito spoiler[could have been that evil towards Kisa. ]I mean she just looks so pretty that you just can' think anything bad when seeing her (except for Akito of course).

By the way, another resemblance between Kisa and Tohru (and not just them) would be the fact that they both spoiler[suffered because of Akito. I mean, Akito hurt Kisa because Hiro confessed that he likes her a lot (thus making Hiro feel guilty as hell) and on the other hand we have Tohru who was hurt by Akito numerous times because she saw that all the zodiacs feel a certain attraction towards her. Well, of course that there are different situations and this applies also to some other feminine characters in the manga (Isuzu of course). Still....]

As for the parents, again I repeat myself. I wish I could know more about some of the parents in this manga and definetly Kisa's parents wold have been an interesting subject. Here I would also add Haru's parents as well, because again we don't have much information about these ones. Only the "evil parents" got the needed development. Confused Very Happy
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:57 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:

Even now I can't understand how Akito spoiler[could have been that evil towards Kisa. ]I mean she just looks so pretty that you just can' think anything bad when seeing her (except for Akito of course).

Akito spoiler[hated all the women because she knew that they could take her male zodiac members away, and possibly in a way, start breaking the curse. She's a woman hater.]

Quote:
As for the parents, again I repeat myself. I wish I could know more about some of the parents in this manga and definetly Kisa's parents wold have been an interesting subject. Here I would also add Haru's parents as well, because again we don't have much information about these ones. Only the "evil parents" got the needed development. Confused Very Happy

This subject could make for some very debated discussion in this thread. We should put into consideration talking about parents some time. There's quite a few sets of them out there too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 112 of 170