• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Illumitoon Lights Up With Beet the Vandel Buster

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 5:07 pm Reply with quote
hoolijan:
Quote:

You know, Astroboy also had an annoying girl that followed him around, so it's hardly a recent story-telling device.

But the girl in Astroboy doesn't really fight. She just sits on her arse all day like Roll in Mega Man. Laughing

Quote:
Bleach and Busou Renkin both include the twist that the girl is the one who gave the hero his powers, but Beet follows the far older and more generic childhood friend/reluctant romantic interest plot.

Yeah, but Busou Renkin also borrows from Beet in that both male leads are slackers.

Crawly: I'm just wondering what they're gonna do about Milfa's cleavage and short skirt.
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Crawly: I'm just wondering what they're gonna do about Milfa's cleavage and short skirt.

They've got animators on staff, according to one of the press releases. I expect a large part of the reason they're there is to alter the scenes as necessary. Kinda like how the villians in Sailor Moon had pasties added and such, and the body lines in the transformation scenes were erased.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
...I just want to know what kind of money is behind this. And whose money. Sure, the founders aren't exactly destitute...but I can't see anyone funding an anime company out of their own private savings, or even a line of credit, nowadays. So, either there's some venture capitalist out there who thinks that this is a pretty cool idea, or someone else on the Japanese side is involved...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
freshkazuki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:33 pm Reply with quote
I don't know, from the mission statement on their website, this company sounds like it's going in a 4kids direction that doesn't interest me at all. In going for all audiences, it will simply appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:04 pm Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
...I just want to know what kind of money is behind this. And whose money.

Conspiracy Theory #1 based on first title announced - They're really Toei USA in disguise! Using ex-Funimation employees as their cover! Razz
Crawly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
freshkazuki wrote:
I don't know, from the mission statement on their website, this company sounds like it's going in a 4kids direction that doesn't interest me at all. In going for all audiences, it will simply appeal to the lowest common denominator.

They want to put kiddie shows on tv. I think that's pretty clear, and makes good buisness sense. But unlike 4Kids, they also mention wanting to put out Japanese language dvds. So they are at least willing to attempt to cater to the anime fans, even though they aren't the primary target audience. But it's about mass marketing titles and pushing merchandise. Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as the show is also release unedited.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:00 am Reply with quote
CorneredAngel wrote:
...I just want to know what kind of money is behind this. And whose money. Sure, the founders aren't exactly destitute...but I can't see anyone funding an anime company out of their own private savings, or even a line of credit, nowadays.
I don't know, if you get a couple multi-millionaires together it's not hard to imagine a bank tripling their funds. Regardless of what you might read in the newspapers the economy is doing quite well, banks really have a lot of overflowed cash to spend on risks if they chose. Most likely its a 5-10 year investment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:18 am Reply with quote
Illumitoon Entertainment

They're actually located at RadioShack's corporate headquarters?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Corey Maddox

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:58 pm Reply with quote
They are in the process of starting the dub auditions for this show.
I_AM_L

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:28 am Reply with quote
I tried to get into Beet. I bought volumes 1-3. I need to buy more. And i just bought Buso Renkin volume 1. I hated it

Last edited by I_AM_L on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Beet's a tough series to get into if you haven't played enough traditional rpgs. Though maybe the anime will be easier to sell, if it focuses on the action.
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I am a BEET fan, am also a fan sub fan even when fan subs are off if a show is good (and this one is) it keeps me intrested,from what I have read up on Illumitoon Entertainment they want to bastardize it and make it into a kidde show...thats all fine and well if they release uncut DVDs but if they are going in THAT direction its not going to be a pretty sight.

In order to do anime right you have to DUB it uncut THEN and only THEN edit it you do not pull a 4kids then try and slap on subing or some crap.

And you know what leave anime unedited the kids anime that is...perhaps they will learn about life instead of being "dim" and I say that in the nicest way I can....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2