• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
About Macross translation

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saiyajin Jas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I actually have the box set, so I feel I can say something about this. (Whether or not you listen to me is up to you.)

Now, I'm only through the fourth DVD, and I've only seen a couple Star Trek references. It's not like every episode is choked up with them. The "needs of the many" reference I barely noticed, because it came during a part where there was a lot of action, and I was trying to pay attention to what was going on, and it didn't seem that inappropriate. The other reference, "the ass end of space" does need a little explaination. When I was reading about the references before I got the box set I was very irritated, particularly with this line because it gave the dialogue a different "feel" and I felt it was inappropriate to use it. But then, when I saw where it was used, (a guy making a comment about there being a Chinese restaurant aboard the Macross) it seemed to fit, because it sounded like crude, common language, which the guy looked perfect to say.

And, no, I'm am not just accepting AnimEigo's translation. I honestly would have preferred they didn't put it in, but I guess I'm very appreciative they didn't treat the script like a dub, and try to Americanize it, and put stupid jokes in, etc. And, I've never had a chance to see Macross (or Robotech) so I'm very glad that I have this chance to see such an awesome anime.
OrionQuest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Good grief, I'm surprised at the way people are reacting here. I can't believe this is such a controversial issue. To be honest I had probably watched two thirds of the series and I never even noticed any of the Star Trek refernces in the dialogue. OK, the part about the needs of the few out weighing the needs of the many or vise versa did put me in the mind of Star Trek, but that was only because I read in the liner notes about how the original creators of Macross were Trekkies themselves and so I figured they did that. Hey, the anime itself contains Star Trek references... I'm thinking of, for instance, the computer screen somewhere in there that says something about Klingons. It doesn't seem very inappropriate to me if Animeigo sneaks in a few subtle references of their own... especially if they don't change the meaning of the dialogue.

But, hey if the Star Trek references really bother you that much, then you can always get the American Robotech: Macross Saga version. I've seen it many times ever since it was first released and as I recall, there are not any Star Trek references to be found there. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2