• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
24 Hour Anime Cable Channel from Microsoft...

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:44 pm Reply with quote
All I can say is check your calendar before you get too excited. The "snapshot" of the "press release" is extraordinarily well-done though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dudesup

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 5:51 pm Reply with quote
yeah , too fishy. Probably the April fool's joke. Evil or Very Mad Mad Sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I liked the All Your Base article from last year more.
Cowboy Bebop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Click and Drag your mouse at the end of the article to highlight some hidden text that confirms it's a joke. Probably for the best really, since a 24 hour Anime channel would keep me up all night, and I'd end up losing my job.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, now that you'd ruined that joke...

Take a look at previous jokes: animenewsnetwork.com/archive.php?topic_id=105
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

Well, now that you'd ruined that joke...

Take a look at previous jokes: animenewsnetwork.com/archive.php?topic_id=105

I spent about an hour scouring MS and MSNBC for press releases so I could properly mimic their PR style. I also spent more than an hour doing the graphic editing required of the screenshot.

What gets me are the people who say stuff like, "I hate you for writing [insert joke title here] joke. I hope you die. I'm never visiting your site again."

I mean, geez, I'm just trying to have a little bit of fun. It's only once a year.. and it's pretty obvious, isn't it?

Maybe next year we shouldn't even bother with jokes, or maybe separate them into a safe little corner of ANN. :p

[edit]
I also just noticed how BAD and GLARING the graphic edit looks @ 800x600. Once again, will do better next year...
[/edit]

Last edited by cookie on Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

Maybe next year we shouldn't even bother with jokes, or maybe separate them into a safe little corner of ANN. :p

And on that note...

What were everyone's favorite jokes from this year?

Anime Tourist had a silly, but brief Robotech article. :)
Toms Hardware ran a nice piece about NVidia buying AMD. :)
Gamespot had a nice piece about War3 losing Orcs. :)
Britney's Dance Beat, sadly, is real. Really. -_- Think Bust a Groove + Spears...
Pigeon Ranking shows exactly how Google's engine works. That explains a few things...

Any other good jokes-of-the-day?

[edit]
Miyazaki does Horror is another good one.
[/edit]

Last edited by cookie on Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I like Sharkey's April Fool's prank best.

ULTIMATE XEENOGEARS SIGHT!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:

I spent about an hour scouring MS and MSNBC for press releases so I could properly mimic their PR style. I also spent more than an hour doing the graphic editing required of the screenshot.

You did a great job!

Quote:

What gets me are the people who say stuff like, "I hate you for writing [insert joke title here] joke. I hope you die. I'm never visiting your site again."

Screw them

Quote:

Nah. I say next year we post a whole slew of Jokes, anyone who doesn't know better by the 3rd year can suffer Smile
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Check this out! According to [url=http://www.wilwheaton.net/ ]Wil Wheaton[/url], he's in discussions with Paramount to appear as a cast member on Enterprise. Wesley Crusher will use his time travel abilities to become a recurring character. Sounds more than a little suspicious to me.

Quote:
Oh, this is such amazingly good news, and it's been so hard to keep this to myself, but there have been contract talks, and all sorts of negotiations, and all that...but I can finally make the big big announcement: The official announcement will be made on Thursday, but I've been given permission by Paramount's hired goons to make the announcement today. In four weeks, I will be joining the cast of Enterprise in a recurring role! The details are still being worked out, but basically what they plan to do is have Wesley use his Time Traveler abilities to move through space and time to the NX-01. He'll be written more like the dark, troubled Wesley of "The First Duty" and "Final Mission", and less like the gee-whiz Wesley of days gone by. Here's a little history: Nemesis is testing very well, and Paramount is extremely excited that this lame little website has generated such a huge following. I guess some people started a letter-writing campaign, without my knowledge, and Paramount listened. I spent most of last week on conference calls with Rick and Brannon, as well as some of the brass at Paramount, working out the details, making sure that Wesley will not be saving the NX-01 all the time. * grin * I'll be in 8 of 22 episodes for the two seasons, with an option to renegotiate at the end of the second season. I'm only recurring to allow me the freedom to participate in other shows, as well as continue working for G4. I'm so freakin' excited, I don't even know what else to say. I can't believe that I'm going to be working on Star Trek again, and I can't believe that I'm going to be working on Stages 8 and 9 again. I have to go to a fitting right now. I'll write more when I have more details. I hope everyone has a great day!! Posted by wil at 8:57 AM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:55 pm Reply with quote
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2859564,00.html This one was even stupider than the MS one, because it was made up on the spot. I think people need to realize no one cares about MS or Bill Gates enough anymore to make jokes about them.

The next two I wrote. This one(http://www.jaggedteam.com/bin/shownews.cgi?id=1038 ) is basically a hentai DDR game, which I loosely came up with after viewing this Christian-themed DDR unit which was Photoshopped at Stile Project, and with a fake rumour someone once told me about a nude Double Dragon arcade game.

Plus I wrote this one exclusively for the www.animenewsservice.com Mailing List, and managed to get at least one person fooled :):

"Along with Drgonball Z, 20th Century FOX announced they are going to be making a live-action adaptation of Devil Hunter Yohko using Joss Whedon as the director. When questioned about it, Whedon replied, "Well Buffy already ripped off Yohko, so I might as well just do a movie adaptation of the
original, because UPN will probably cancel Buffy to make room for another Star Trek series anyway! Besides, Sarah Michelle Gellar's movie roles have been less-than-memorable over the years, and as soon as the Scooby Doo movie comes out, her career will be in the toilet. So right now, I'm looking for a
new young adult to exploit in a generic teen role. Katie Holmes can still sell movies since she was topless in the Gift. I think I'll use her as Yohko..."

"I also e-mailed Matt Greenfield for a comment, and he had this to say: "The reason we pitched this idea to Murdoch was that I was pissed off that we had to discontinue Battle Angel Alita, just so James Cameron could make a crappy Buffy rip-off of it! I mean this is the guy who came up with box-office hits like Titanic and Terminator, and Dark Angel is the best new project he could come up with?! Sure we'd like to use Jessica Alba as a voice actress for one of our hentai titles, but she's no Gally! Shit, that show makes the Hong Kong Dragonball movie look good!" So expect a new Devil Hunter movie sometime next year in April!""
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I forgot to mention I added "So expect a new Devil Hunter movie sometime next year in April!" as a hint.
Cowboy Bebop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Now now. If you didn't want people pointing out the hidden text you shouldn't have put it in there. Wink Cookie, you did a great job. I really like the way you stylized the Anime in the "screen grab". As far as people who can't take a joke, they should really just stay off the internet for one day of their lives.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

Check this out! According to [url=http://www.wilwheaton.net/ ]Wil Wheaton[/url], he's in discussions with Paramount to appear as a cast member on Enterprise. Wesley Crusher will use his time travel abilities to become a recurring character. Sounds more than a little suspicious to me.

Yes indeedy; I haven't been fooled once, or I should say I haven't been fooled at all, today.

Wil Wheaton wrote:

April Fool's
Well, most of you have figured it out, by now, but the truth is...

...I'm not gonna be on Enterprise. Even as a computer voice, or within the secret, dirty, late-night thoughts of Capt. Archer.

I hope everyone takes this in good humor. Lots of people sent really kind and sweet congratulatory messages, and I actually feel pretty badly for fooling such nice people. All the idiots who thought it was a really good idea to fill my inbox with "Wesley is gonna ruin Enterprise" crap should get a life, and direct any further comments to the nearest brick wall.
anime uncut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 6:34 pm Reply with quote
It isn't inconceivable that this joke could be based on truth, just so Microsoft can compete with Sony, although I wouldn't count your chickens just yet.
If there is some kind of deal to be made with Roadrunner for a 24 hour Web channel, it would probably be next year, when people are playing games online already.
Time Warner/AOL would also get in the act with savings on AOL Plus. (Internet on TV)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1