• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - MUCC + Nana Kitade Live

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACDragonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
diedwater wrote:
people like me? what did i do? being open minded? u can't stand people who are open minded? so because people like us who are open minded, and "they"(americans) look down on japanese artist? maybe u should try to pull u head out of ur ass and sniff some fresh air for a change?

btw...just carious...why does animenewsnetwork talk about jrock? what do they have in common? japanese? it's no doubt that if u only like anime, and u will be a jpop fan...

"Open-minded" means being willing to at least give new things a chance, not obsessing over them and crticizing anyone who happens to disagree with your personal taste.

Also, there's a fair amount of what's considered to be jrock in anime, along with jpop. In some cases, the line between the two terms tends to become seriously blurred. Not to mention the whole visual kei thing and the connection that has with cosplay, which is heavily associated with anime fandom....
ShikamaChU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm not like, a huge fan of any of the performers for this year's otakon, but there was no reason to jeer at any of them. I mean, they flew all that way, without having to, just to give us some music. the least people could do is be polite, if not just to make her feel like getting over the jet-lag was worth it.

Had I attended the concert, I would have cheered for her (She's cute, if no other reason.)

I'm a firm believer of: 'If you don't like it, don't go to the concert.'

*sigh*
It seems like there were a lot of either annoying, or dead people this year's Otakon (I mean, more than usual).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hitokiri333

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:01 pm Reply with quote
How many of you actually know about the Japanese culture?
RJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:18 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't expect a non MUCC fan to enjoy their amazing show(s) so I'm not surprised by this review.
But that Nana girl should not have been there! What a horrible scheduling mishap that was.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, after reading this review and seeing the pictures, it seems to me that Nana Kitade would be better suited to perform at a concert in Japan for the idol loving otaku rather than in the US at a rock concert... just the impression I got, I haven't heard much of her music though.
Ruby-chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I went to both the Friday and Saturday show and I have to wonder if this reporter is talking about the same concert. To those who didn't attend the concert, please don't base your judgements on this article alone.

We were on the second floor, center both nights. (the best position in the house, IMO - close, perfect view) Firstly, I disagree that people were not cheering and screaming for Nana. I saw and heard plenty of support for her. Not as much as MUCC, this is true - but that is to be expected, she was an opener, not a main act, and her style was quite different from MUCC. I heard one girl nearby yell about her lack of guitar skills, and there is no excuse for that. Bear in mind, though, that her first performance prompted our friend, who didn't know Nana before, to echo our own thoughts and say to us after the show "Does she even play that guitar?" This was easily answered on Saturday night when she was very noticably off sync, and then just suddenly stopped strumming to take off her collar, then resumed syncing as though nothing happened. There's still no reason to be rude, I agree - but from my vantage point, she got cheers appropriate for her performance. I didn't notice a lack of enthusiasm. Personally, I was totally new to Nana and while her music isn't something I'd listen to at home, it was enjoyable and she was fun to watch.

As for MUCC.... well, again, perhaps things were different from my point, but if anything, people seemed to get more into the concert as the show went on, contrary to that one reporters opinion. MUCC performed 2 absolutely perfect shows, each with a different set which was a nice surprise. The best concerts I ever attended. The right balcony WAS unenthusiastic both nights - it was quite a mystery - but center, left, and the floor were all jumping and waving arms like crazy, the WHOLE show.

Yes, some people left during the break, because they didn't know MUCC was coming back. I've heard people say they kicked themselves when they heard MUCC came back, or people who are so glad because they *almost* left thinking it was over, but didn't. People did the same thing during the L'arc concert in 2004. I mean, common sense tells me that if the lights are out and the staff aren't ushering people out, the show's not over. But apparently not everyone thinks of that.

J-rock isn't for everyone, so sure, I can see why some people who just went to the concert for the heck of it may not have enjoyed it fully. But I can't see how any fan of this genre of music would disagree that MUCC performed one hell of a show (or two, in this case), and gave it their all throughout the entire thing. I didn't know who MUCC was before the Otakon announcement - their music won me over after I looked them up, and their shows made me a fan for life. I would LOVE to see them again in the US someday!

To the person who said this venue was too big for this act - huh? The venue was tiny, in concert-terms, and was sold out/jam-packed. We laughed when we first heard Otakon call a 1500 attendance venue an "intimate" show, but it turned out they were 100% right - it was very close and intimate indeed.
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:56 pm Reply with quote
diedwater wrote:
You guys talk like critics, which are the worst of all people. for an example, MUCC's new cd just came out, i bought it, I will listen to it carefuly, over and over again, slowly taste their music. but if you r a critic, what u do is, u get this cd, and u have no idea who the heck it is, u just listen thro it once, then write a 2 page long crap explan how you don't like it, wander why this days, critcs hardly like anything, u have to know one thing, rock music is for rock fans, not pop fans, and pop is not for metal fans neither. so if you r listen to something that u don't even like....whats the point, just so u can be cool, and come up here talk like u know everything, and be a poser like everyone else trash talk the band, is that the only why u can prove ur existens?....tsk tsk tsk...

america's way of "being a fan" is just way too screwed up for anything good to happen...untill u guys learned to be open minded and learned to accept things not just trash talk everything that u don't know a thing about.....i don't see u guys r getting anywhere...*sigh*

Wait, are you talking about Jonathan Mays or the other fans? *confused* I'm curious if you've ever read this column before. Besides, i think it's good in a way to get a general view of the concert, a possibly less biased (but of course all reviews are). Instead of from a MUCC or Kitade fan who would over glorify their favorite singers.

Being a fan doesn't mean you have to like everything. That's kinda difficult. I understand the open-mindedness, but even with the most open-mindedness i can have, there are just some things I still wouldn't like. It's just one person's opinion. If you don't agree, that's fine. It's a way for some people to get an idea of something, or make an opinion for themselves. (and share information as well)

well i agree with

evilnekohilda wrote:
When it comes down to it, Otakon was wrong to schedule those two bands together. Couple the fact that both Kitade and MUCC have VERY different styles, the contrast in music tastes between the two fan bases are, in most cases, too much for the typical concert venue to endure without losing much of the crowd along the way.

It's very true since it was a MUCC concert, a large portion of the J-rock community would be there, and they would think Nana Kitade is more of an opening act and rather go on with MUCC's performance. They have really different audiences ^^; esp. with the j-rock community and some of their obsessive fans.

I feel so bad for Nana, geez, people need to give her respect, this type of thing prevents performances/visits in the future. I mean, i would totally go to her concert if i could and support her. (although i'm not a very large fan of hers)

I'm glad the hyde concert was awesome
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:09 pm Reply with quote
evilnekohilda wrote:
When it comes down to it, Otakon was wrong to schedule those two bands together. Couple the fact that both Kitade and MUCC have VERY different styles, the contrast in music tastes between the two fan bases are, in most cases, too much for the typical concert venue to endure without losing much of the crowd along the way.

I'm going to do some baseless guessing here, so my apologies if I go overboard. I think we can chalk this up to the concert promoters' lack of understanding of who they were booking. They probably thought, "Oh look! Guitar-driven pop and guitar-driven rock by folks from Japan. With that convention in town, we'll sell out and everything'll be rosy!"

They probably got sampler demos from the bands' labels, half-hearted listened to them and assumed that the kiddiez wouldn't mind because "all music from Japan sounds the same."

I've seen stuff like this happen before, when a local Spokane band got hooked up with a national tour that was in town. The local band was acoustic pop, the rest of the bill was industrial and nu-metal. Unsurprisingly, the folks that came to see the headliners lustily booed the local guys, even though they put on a good set. Music styles at concerts are like liquor, it's a bad idea to mix 'em.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ruby-chan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
I think we can chalk this up to the concert promoters' lack of understanding of who they were booking. They probably thought, "Oh look! Guitar-driven pop and guitar-driven rock by folks from Japan. With that convention in town, we'll sell out and everything'll be rosy!"

Otakon.. the convention.. is the one who invited the guests and put them in concert together. It was their show. It wasn't something going on at the same time as Otakon.
Shuichiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:26 am Reply with quote
The shows were going on at the same time as Otakon, even if not in the same building as Otakon.

I have been thinking since before the concerts, that they should have scheduled the two performers seperately, like the did in 2004 with Angela and Larc-en-ciel.

I went to the concert mostly to see Nana because I've been a fan of her music for some time. I really hadn't heard much of MUCC before the concert. However, during nana's part I cheered the whole time, and during MUCC I had my fist in the air for most of the second half of the show.

I guess I'm one of those few people who can enjoy two pretty much different types of music equally. The person who was sent to do the article that this thread is made from seems very single minded and not open to treat the artists equally, though they are from different genres. Which seems to be the mind-set of many people who have flamed this thread. Also, the reviewer didn't see the Friday show apparently, when both acts got a good reception.

Otakon does what they can...they threw the masquarade into the arena cause it's huge, and it was unfortunate that they could only get 3000 people to see the concert in the first place, and had to put on both performers at the same time.

Get a grip people. It's a free show and some of us fought with 22,000+ other people for the priviledge to be part of the 3000 to see the concert in the first place. Your opinions are what they are and you have a right to say them, but get a grip.
Ruby-chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:40 am Reply with quote
Shuichiro wrote:
The shows were going on at the same time as Otakon, even if not in the same building as Otakon.

Sorry, I meant that it wasn't a separate event that happened to be going on at the same time as otakon. The previous poster was indicating that the concert was being put on by an unrelated group and that wasn't the case.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:44 am Reply with quote
http://www.jpopcd.com/vid/nana/nana_id_complete_hi.asx

either she's really oblivious, or lying
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
http://www.jpopcd.com/vid/nana/nana_id_complete_hi.asx

either she's really oblivious, or lying

what type of file is this, and what is it? i can't seem to be able to play it.
RagnarokOfAngels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:37 pm Reply with quote
hitokiri333 wrote:
How many of you actually know about the Japanese culture?

How is that a relevant question on the subject of a concert?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
vulgar mushi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I am just stunned about how bad this review was, both the reaction to MUCC and the quality of the review itself. I know myself, and all other MUCC/most jrock fans are having a good laugh at this. The person who reviewed this is probably some anime fan who went to otakon and has very little interest in rock music/music in general. MUCC put on one hell of a show, even if you dont like their style you cant say that they dont do what they do well. People were not leaving... The crowd was going wild the whole time and totally into the concert... I just can't see where this review is coming from. MUCC fans enjoy heavy songs like zetsubou and light songs like saishuu ressha just the same. I appreciate their range in style and I doubt any true fan would get upset at that. DONT BE HATING! Their 'stage antics' are quite enjoyable to me and I don't see why the reviewer hated it so much. They put their all into those lives and they made is so enjoyable for the audience as well.
And for Nana. Even though I wouldn't call myself a fan, I still enjoy a few of her songs and I cheered for her. You have to understand how hard it is to open for such a popular and different style band. I have no idea what happened with that guitar tho... eek
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4