• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nobunagun (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:40 am Reply with quote
It started out somewhat boring, but it got a lot more interesting and fun when the aliens showed up. spoiler[And then we got Jack the Ripper, Newton, Ghandi and Oda Nobunaga... sorry, Nobunagun Very Happy] It's definitely got potential!
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Well episode 2 answered my question.

5*(percentage of time she's nobunagun)/100 = score of show
5*(40)/100 = 2
Sad

Kinda disappointed but it was to be expected, I guess I'll keep watching in hope that uninteresting personality will just fade into the background and the interesting one will take over (although if I had to guess based on what most anime do I'd say the opposite will happen, with eventually an emo episode followed by a "friendship is everything" episode).

Wonder how close there gonna get to being spoiler[yuri] without actually being one? Will it just be spoiler["there really really REALLY REALLY good friend", or are we going to get the "I lov.../interrupted" scene.]

spoiler[The revelation by bunny alien statue was kinda cool, sorta like madoka wonder what the dark secret will end up being, cause there's always a dark secret.]
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
well, if you don't like your characters acting like people, may I suggest the other Nobugana show?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
well, if you don't like your characters acting like people, may I suggest the other Nobugana show?

I have to agree. What exactly do you find boring about her, meiam?
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Essentially because she has the same personality as the overwhelming majority of main character in shonen anime.

A shy character who doesn't have any friend in her class because of (Insert nerdy hobby) but who suddenly catch the attention of the most popular girl in the class who can see trough the awkwardness how unique and interesting the lead character is. It's reveled that the character is actually a nice generous person who want to help everyone and will reluctantly accept the incredibly destiny trust upon them.

That character was interesting the first 2-3 time I saw a show with him/her, but now it's just "him/her again?!". Not to mention it reek of audience wish fulfillment.

I'm just seeking something more, in this case Nobunaga (a warlord/tactical genius with boundless ambition) using gun. Nobunagun for short.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
I admit, that's a fair complaint.

I do see it as a bit of a case of preference though. Nobunagun firing away was the funnest part of the show, but "he" is no kind of MC in my opinion. Apart from the unique portrayal I've seen in a handful of episodes of Hyouge Mono (and I really should finish that, now that it's completely fansubbed) I've never seen a Nobunaga with a "personailty" that doesn't push just about every one of my own personal pet peeves. So personally I'll take a somewhat typical fragile girl any day of the week over a gung-ho alpha male.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
meiam,

Thank you for providing an explanation. I do agree with you on most points. I'm actually interested to see how well her and Nobunaga's personalities clash.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm i'll admit that this show is starting to win me over a bit if i watch it in a sort of "brain switch off" kind of fashion.

Next episode looks like "teacher/student" molestation........k cool whatever i'm just rolling with it Shocked
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

That action, that was fricken sweet, exactly the sort of thing I wish that I got out of Kill la Kill, style without having to sacrifice quality. When she is badass, she steals the entire show, an awesome show of her being in control. They off sided her raw strength in spoiler[making her undisciplined] so that she has room to grow, and a good way to cover for it by her spoiler[using the gravity to lower the recoil] was nice, although I do wonder if it would make the barrel heavier too. The reveal of spoiler[multiple guns to cover around her and to match the rifle volley] was a nice touch.

I do appreciate the other side of Shio too, giver her some complexity in reacting to the entire situation. I would say that if I had to describe her, it would be a mix of Yukari from Girls und Panzer, and Hibiki from Senki Zesshou Symphogear, which I would say that I really don't mind as I like both characters. And yeah both of those characters have a bit of a yuri thing going which Shio seems to as well. Maybe add in a bit of Yukine Chris too for the guns thing and such, on a semi-related connection to that I recently changed my ringtone to Makyuu Ichi-Bal. And on music, I know we heard the OP song last week, but it is cool.

I was supposed to say that I was liking her more rounded character, I don't think the part with her in the hospital wing and talking to the girl felt forced at all. It looks like next week will have her training, but in looking at the preview I was not quite happy with what appears to be her spoiler[being possibly molested] in what is likely a fanservice scene. I don't think her character needs that. Why do strong female leads have to suffer things like that (Kill la Kill)?
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:55 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It looks like next week will have her training, but in looking at the preview I was not quite happy with what appears to be her spoiler[being possibly molested] in what is likely a fanservice scene. I don't think her character needs that. Why do strong female leads have to suffer things like that (Kill la Kill)?

Balsa from Moribito Guardian of the Spirit doesn't get turned into fanservice fodder at any point during the series.

But yeah, I'm kinda dreading episode 3.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2 has probably locked this one as a title which I will follow out this season. I loved the action scenes and the attitude, and even the gimmicky visuals and music are swiftly growing on me. The scene choices are done in an interestingly different fashion, too, and I thought the scene with Asa in the hospital was handled very well. This series has a bit of something to it that a lot of these types of things don't.

No, I'm not seeing anything at all boring about this one so far. I'd probably even give it a 4.5/5 for ep 2 and am now actually eagerly looking forward to more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Newton looks like she was taken straight out of the Cutey Honey universe.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote
I liked that the organization acknowledged that they would be taking over her life and offered a choice. It was further interesting that Seio had doubts about accepting. Too many anime heroes jump in without hesitation that we are aware of.

Of course the situation made it almost impossible to refuse. How would anyone go back to being a high school student after being exposed so completely. There is also the element of "if we lose the world ends" which makes it hard to back out.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:25 pm Reply with quote
They didn't offer her a choice. They gave her the appearance of having a choice, but in reality she didn't have one (think of the conversation between the old lady and the alien). She knew that right away. They just gave her time to get used to it and tried to make it as painless and easy for her as possible.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Well that kicked complete and total ass. This might become my pick for best of the season if it keeps this up.

I don't even like craaaaaaawling emo music because it all sounds the same to me but this OP is really awesome and fits so well to the series' energy. The outfits remind me of Aruji Morino's stuff (He did Hanoka, those I mean more of his Mother Mars, Yukino and Tera style.) and the hilarious historical figure decals give me new stuff to scrollsaw.

I like that Dogoo (that'll always make me think of the slimes in Neptunia) gave her a chance to adjust and think things over. Way too many of these shadow organizations don't even try to look good, but Dogoo is looking pretty respectable. They're forcing the tough futures on people, but they're not doing it heartlessly.

So next ep we get spoiler[training, shooting and possibly some world building. And some unexpectedly nice boobs. Man, where'd she get those things from? Sure didn't look like she had them before. I'll try to keep from making "extra magazine storage" jokes when the ep comes up.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12