• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Sailor Moon Anime by Toei to Premiere in July

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mizuki-Takashima

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
The Series Script Supervisor is somebody that worked on Smile Precure?

HECK YEAH I'M HYPED. That's basically the only Pretty Cure series that I actually liked (though there's a few others I've been meaning to watch too)
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Not to be a killjoy, but I, at least, won't be getting my hopes up for the third time unless we have an official PV. Until such time, I'll pretend Toei are still [expletive] around and pushing it back to the end of time
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:56 am Reply with quote
vapwaazu wrote:
Skeptical since this is the what... 3rd delay?

Until they release some actual character designs or the new merchandise does not use the old anime key art/designs, I'm not getting excited.

Those are the official designs of the characters. What other designs are they supposed to use?

Production delays happen, I find it hilarious that people think they've somehow been lying about producing this series.

Granted, this being a known property makes the delays more noticeable.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:00 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
I'll just take a wait and see approach. Getting kind of concern on how they are treating this. Something like this shouldn't be on backburner so much.

The reality is that in this day and age, Precure is a more important property for them then a 20 year old series... Precure comes first, then Sailor Moon.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
vapwaazu wrote:
Skeptical since this is the what... 3rd delay?

Until they release some actual character designs or the new merchandise does not use the old anime key art/designs, I'm not getting excited.

Those are the official designs of the characters. What other designs are they supposed to use?

Production delays happen, I find it hilarious that people think they've somehow been lying about producing this series.

Granted, this being a known property makes the delays more noticeable.

For instance, the new Saint Seiya Omega uses completely new character designs because, well, it's been 25 years and they're not using the same designers that they did in the past. Just for a quick comparison:

This is Shiryu in the original anime, age 14:
http://caballerosfuturstro.galeon.com/personajes/shiryu.jpg
This is his son Ryuho in Omega, age 13:
http://static4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20131202153329/saintseiya/es/images/e/e0/Ryuho_dragon.png

Even though they are nearly the same age (and are blood-related and thus physically similar), their character designs are drastically different because it's been 25 years, design and animation techniques have changed, yadda yadda. People honestly don't expect the characters in the new SM anime to look exactly like the ones 20 years ago. Even if they're taken straight from the manga, there are definitely going to be changes (Compare AoT's Armin in the manga http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130722060244/shingeki-no-kyojin/es/images/c/cf/ArminAlertManga.jpg to the anime http://www.anime-planet.com/images/characters/armin_arlert_23861.jpg). That's what we mean with character designs/key visuals, etc.

Also, while it's not uncommon for a production delay to happen (see Pupa, for instance), this is the third delay for a remake of a really popular classic that was supposed to commemorate its 20th anniversary which happened 2 years ago. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed it all the way to the 25th anniversary. It's really no surprise people (myself included) are feeling skeptical about it.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Himeko90 wrote:
Tell us how you really feel.......

I really feel like they have no intention of actually doing this. Or should it get made, it'll be low-budget crap that will disappear on NicoNico so they won't be embarrassed on TV.
That's never stopped them in the past. If it's going to be that bad, and I doubt Toei is going to f***up one of their best franchises on relaunch, it will just end up on after 0000 broadcast schedules, like all the other gob shyte titles. Also just what is your gripe with NicoNico? It's far better than Yourgoogleshytetube.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:00 am Reply with quote
Before everyone freaks out about how it'll be running on Niconico (two years later, I still have trouble figuring out the site), I should point out Toei Animation is one of the companies involved with Daisuki. If there was ever a title to carry the site, this would be it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:34 am Reply with quote
personally it would have been better if this series was more faithful to the manga version ala Hellsing Ultimate and FMA Brotherhood.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that one of the creators suggested that the Sailor Moon anime was to be a closer adaption to the manga...
But I obviously can't find the source to that, so now I'm not sure.
Can anyone else find it? I'm pretty sure it was on ANN a while ago...

[EDIT] Oh, lol. Other new Sailor Moon article confirms: animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-09/new-sailor-moon-anime-producer/not-remaking-1st-anime
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I just finished the final act of the manga and let me say, what an ending.

I'm really eager to see how they are going to adapt this into an anime. My excitement is seriously building now. Very Happy
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

But the original designs (specifically Sailor Moon's herself) is literally the design they're using to promote this thing with, and the design they've used for 20 years. I really don't see them changing them too much.

Also, I fully believe the awareness of the delays is mostly stemming from it being a popular and well anticipated franchise, so it's delays aren't slipping under the radar the same as most other shows would.
vapwaazu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:

They are the official designs of the characters of the anime from 20+ years ago. I seriously hope you don't believe they will use the exact same character designs.

The only new art I have seen for this all seems to be done by Naoko Takeuchi. Everything else has been promotional art from the old anime... so yeah... still skeptical
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
LUNI_TUNZ wrote:
Also, I fully believe the awareness of the delays is mostly stemming from it being a popular and well anticipated franchise, so it's delays aren't slipping under the radar the same as most other shows would.

^This. The first "announcement" was actually just a common lead, and the second announcement was from a live event--something that usually never gets translated into English or even paid attention to in Japan unless it's for a HUGE franchise (though Toei's stuff is usually covered anyway, since it's mostly mainstream). The coverage on it after that were from very small interviews and twitter posts by people partially involved in it, who were just as excited about it as everyone else. These delays almost always happen under wraps, but because everyone wants to talk about when this thing will come out, it became the center of attention.

What I want to know is... Why does every place I see this series classify it as an "OVA/OAD/TVSpecial/etc."...? I thought it was a full-fledged series? Do we even know?
Hellfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
The script guy worked on Saint Seiya Omega... oh god I am scared now D: D:

I really, really, really hope is good, the other people on the proyect sound really solid and I am sure Takeuchi won't let release nothing until she likes it but I am still nervous.

I was sure it was going to delay as normally "exclusive" pictures would start to appear on Newtype on other magazines, maybe this will be the last delay, I do hope so.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:04 am Reply with quote
I dunno why this hadn't hit me before just now, but has anyone else noticed that around the time when this new anime adaption is gonna 'air' online the NA dub cast for SM will be at Anime Expo 2014 [I'll be there if anyone wants to hang out!! Anime smallmouth] (which takes place July 4th weekend)? I think that maybe.. MAYBE this could be part of the reason (or part of part of a reason) why it was delayed... again. I'm trying to think positively here... and I'm also excited to see what they do with the series this time around. I've not seen it all the way through, but Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon (the live action sentai-esque remake based on the manga that aired in Japan in 2004 or so) was a remake, so wouldn't this re-done adaptation be the second time it was... redone/rebooted?

Just my thoughts...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6