• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Royal Podcast Force: The Carl of Hornneamise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:47 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
not to mention the disconnect in hearing a 50-year-old's smokey voice coming out of a 20-30 young-looking Miyazaki character.

There are plenty of dudes who sound older than they should.

Heck, look at dub voice actresses, and that's fine. Smile
marcos torres toledo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote
All I wanted to ask is Wings of Honneamise and Royal Space Force are the same animated movie under different titles. As for the bickering over The Wind Rises Gatsu has a point most people get their history from movies, television dramas that is the problem and even history books and historic novels can be one sided white wash. This year will be the centennial of the War To End All Wars and the millennia of Brian Boru victory over the Norseman in Ireland but the first mention will drown out the second. Shocked
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
marcos torres toledo wrote:
All I wanted to ask is Wings of Honneamise and Royal Space Force are the same animated movie under different titles.

Yes. Royal Space Force is Gainax's preferred title while Wings of Honneamise was made to please Bandai execs, who wanted the title to be "something of something", like Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:29 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You're missing the point. Jiro's not supposed to be an emotionally expressive character. He's reserved by nature.

There's a difference between giving a low key performance and just being flat; Anno's acting was the latter. There's no nuance to his delivery as Jiro.

GATSU wrote:
There are plenty of dudes who sound older than they should. Not everyone can come off like a teenager like Leo.

I don't know who Leo is but Anno had no business being cast. My friend who I saw the film with in Shinjuku last summer and I agreed that, while we've heard worst voice acting debuts, Anno sounded flat and unimpressive.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:54 pm Reply with quote
noigel: You know, I'm the biggest Anno hater around, and yet it's funny that I find myself defending him on The Wind Rises dub.

Quote:
There's no nuance to his delivery as Jiro.

That's because he's a man of simple tastes stuck in a complicated situation.

Quote:
I don't know who Leo is

Dicaprio.

On a side note, let's say Jiro decided to defect? Where the hell would he go? The U.S., where they interned anyone of Japanese descent, even when they served in our armed forces. The UK, where weren't any more tolerant than the Nazis when it came to homosexuals, and might've had it in for him, just because he also happened to be "reserved"?
arromdee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Jafwasw wrote:

History is written by the victors, heros and villians are chosen by the winners.

Japan was not a winner or victor in the war. The Wind Also Rises is an example of Japan writing history and choosing heroes anyway.
noigeL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Bad acting is not a character trait. This just goes to further prove something I've known for years; western fans place Japanese voice acting on a pedestal above criticism.

GATSU wrote:
Dicaprio.

Okay, I know the celebrity but don't really understand why he's being referenced.

Last edited by noigeL on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
noigeL

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
(double post, my bad)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:

This just goes to further prove something I've known for years; western fans place Japanese voice acting on a pedestal above criticism.

Instead of above criticism, rather, as our acquainted J-buds always remind us, it's to be expected that non-Japanese-language users aren't capable of critiquing Japanese acting as in-depth as their own locale acting, particularly when the acting isn't distinctly clear but rather when the line between passable and poor is a subtle difference.

Like say, the meticulous stuffs English users talk about regarding English acting, the Japanese talk about regarding seiyuu acting - which obviously our people don't do that scrupulously since ours don't see what the Japanese acutely see.
noigeL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Instead of above criticism, rather, as our acquainted J-buds always remind us, it's to be expected that non-Japanese-language users aren't capable of critiquing Japanese acting as in-depth as their own locale acting, particularly when the acting isn't distinctly clear but rather when the line between passable and poor is a subtle difference.

It's still possible to do it to some degree, especially for those who have been watching anime in Japanese for a significant period of time. The problem is barely anyone even tries to turn a critical ear towards Japanese voice-over acting.

enurtsol wrote:
Like say, the meticulous stuffs English users talk about regarding English acting, the Japanese talk about regarding seiyuu acting - which obviously our people don't do that scrupulously since ours don't see what the Japanese acutely see.

That's just it right there. I think it's more than fair to say that between the lines of every dub criticism is the message "you can avoid all these problems by watching this title in Japanese". Yet no effort is made whatsoever to inform people as to why the Japanese version is preferable. It just is. As a result, dubs are over-analyzed to hell and back and the Japanese equivalents are placed on the pedestal. This podcast was a good example, talking about how Gordan-Levitt is miscast as Jiro, despite no one having actually heard the dub, but Anno was somehow the right choice for the character "once you get used to it", to the point that suddenly the dub needed to cast someone who is like Anno instead of casting someone who is a good fit for the character.
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Bad acting is not a character trait.

Anno was not chosen by Miyazaki for his acting skills as a voice actor, but because he has a unique voice which Miyazaki and Suzuki consider to be "honest". Therefore, you don't need to be angry at the choice which Miyazaki & Suzuki made. Both definitely knew what they were doing, even though it sounds miscast to many westen anime fans which are used to hear professional voice actors or actors in anime
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
noigeL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:

Anno was not chosen by Miyazaki for his acting skills as a voice actor, but because he has a unique voice which Miyazaki and Suzuki consider to be "honest". Therefore, you don't need to be angry at the choice which Miyazaki & Suzuki made. Both definitely knew what they were doing, even though it sounds miscast to many westen anime fans which are used to hear professional voice actors or actors in anime

They made the wrong choice. He sounds miscast and badly acted to every Japanese person I've talked to who has also seen the film.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
noigel:
Quote:
Bad acting is not a character trait. This just goes to further prove something I've known for years; western fans place Japanese voice acting on a pedestal above criticism.

No, there are some Japanese dubs I don't think fit, but this was not one of them.

Quote:
Okay, I know the celebrity but don't really understand why he's being referenced.

He's 40, but still sounds like a teenager?

Quote:
Yet no effort is made whatsoever to inform people as to why the Japanese version is preferable.

Because they generally are better at understanding the character than their American equivalents who are just there to deliver a passable voice-over.

Quote:
This podcast was a good example, talking about how Gordan-Levitt is miscast as Jiro, despite no one having actually heard the dub, but Anno was somehow the right choice for the character "once you get used to it",

At this point, Levitt sounds about the same. But when I get the DVD, I'll compare.

Quote:
He sounds miscast and badly acted to every Japanese person I've talked to who has also seen the film.

Well, it seems Japanese audiences have a number of things they don't like that about Kaze Tachinu. But then it's a film which isn't intended to be a crowd-pleaser in the first place, like his other stuff. It's mostly going to appeal to long-term Miyazaki fans and animation buffs in general. When it comes down to it, it's essentially Ghibli's first "indie" film. And if you're willing to accept it as such, then you can just appreciate it for going against your expectations of what you normally expect from a Miyazaki pic. But if you want it to be something which has more presence, then you'll just have to go through his older catalog. Because the latter approach was never the intent for The Wind Rises.

enurtsol:
Quote:
it's to be expected that non-Japanese-language users aren't capable of critiquing Japanese acting as in-depth as their own locale acting,

That has nothing to do with it. Jiro is a certain type of character, and a flavor-of-the-month name is not going to convey who he is as much as someone who's closer to his "type". Anno fit that type.
Swissman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
noigeL wrote:
Swissman wrote:

They made the wrong choice. He sounds miscast and badly acted to every Japanese person I've talked to who has also seen the film.

Well, that's your personal experience. Some of the japanese I talked to don't mind the voice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
noigeL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Because they generally are better at understanding the character than their American equivalents who are just there to deliver a passable voice-over.

Because... why? Granted we aren't talking about a specific title right now but a statement like that tells me absolutely nothing. Western fans in general just take for granted that the Japanese is better. This is why dubs get unfairly shat on and over-analyzed, because they're compared to what fans assume is perfection. A dub has to do something absolutely phenomenal just to be considered "not that bad, for a dub".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4