• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams First Attack on Titan Dub Clip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thelastgogeta

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Sigh...

Typical FUNimation.
Even with rights being a cruel mistress, surely a trailer being available worldwide or for the UK (WHICH HAS HAD THE LICENSE FOR THE SHOW SINCE MAY 2013 FROM WHAT I CAN TELL) should be fine.

I guess I'll find out how good or bad the cast is when Manga UK are ready, I'm sure I've forgotten about shows from FUNimation making it harder to follow up trailers when the hype is at the highest (not that I'm likely to forget this one).

Suena wrote:

And BTW, to people who can't watch the videos and haven't gotten the memo yet: Funimation only services North America. So don't be confused - unless you're in Canada. (Then you can rage all you want.)

I'm fairly sure FUNimation will let me watch a number of shows for free on their Youtube channel right now despite being in the UK (probably as Manga UK have the rights to them, I can't use their player on their site) and no other company has been this weird with trailers in any industry.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Sigh...

Not sure what country you're in or even if it will work, but the Hola! add on for Chrome may let you get around that...
I live in the Netherlands so yeah. I don't really understand why Funimation blocks a lot of their videos for people outside the US. Oh well, Hola! works with my Firefox, so thanks a bunch.

On topic, I think the dub sounds pretty good, I'm liking it so far, but I don't have much more to note. I tend to prefer dubs a lot faster than japanese versions though, so I'm easily satisfied.

Last edited by thekingsdinner on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'll stick with subbed, thank you very much.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:13 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Whatcha think about this clip?

Nothing, I can't watch it. And while the voices don't need to sound the same in a dub, they DO have to keep to the original character, not make up a new personality.

I'll see your statement, and raise you a suggestion: How about not judging a dub from a 90 second clip? Far too many people who've seen the sub first tend to do that. Neutral
revolutionotaku wrote:
I'll stick with subbed, thank you very much.

...Like this person Rolling Eyes
shi666san

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
So is the collector's edition only going to be available from Funi's shop? I haven't seen it listed on rightstuf.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:
Whatcha think about this clip?

Nothing, I can't watch it. And while the voices don't need to sound the same in a dub, they DO have to keep to the original character, not make up a new personality.

Are you sure that YOU are not just making up the personality and are mad at them for not pertaining to your IMAGINATION of the characters personality. Just to let you know, FUNi isn't in the business of stratifying your delusions and interpretations of character and their traits. If they where, the they would have asked for your input, as I assume they haven't neither have we. So, just keep your OPINIONS to yourself.

Last edited by rinkwolf10 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mikeski

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
shi666san wrote:
So is the collector's edition only going to be available from Funi's shop? I haven't seen it listed on rightstuf.
Yup, that's what Bob of RACS said in his newsletter last Friday. Funi shop only.
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I think this won't be good as steins;gate... for the people.
shi666san

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
shi666san wrote:
Yup, that's what Bob of RACS said in his newsletter last Friday. Funi shop only.

Oh, okay. Thank you for the information.
NeoBasch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
shi666san wrote:

There are three editions: a standard edition, a limited edition, and a collector's edition. The collector's edition is a Funimation exclusive that you have to order through their shop: http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=87719. The limited edition is like Funimation's regular introductory box sets (comes with Part I and a hard cardboard artbox): http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/action/store/item/Item?ItemName=fun07260.
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Wow... totally screwed up Levi's personality.

Edit for second viewing: Wow, screw it up BADLY. They got absolutely NOTHING right for Levi's personality. Levi does not raise his voice, speaks mostly in monotone, and does NOT make dumb jokes. Hange's pretty bad as well. Her dialogue was OK, but the tone of voice was completely wrong. Hange thinks of titans as children, so she speaks in a disturbing motherly tone. This dub gave her a mocking tone, when she would NEVER mock a titan. Pathetic, Funi....

I think it's a little too soon to be raging about the casting choices. If you're talking about the clip that I think you're talking about, Levi's VA didn't raise his voice at all. I'm actually kind of confused, because the VA kept his voice pretty level throughout the whole thing. If anything, the English VA sounds less pissed off than the Japanese VA. I always thought that Hiroshi Kamiya sounded constantly slightly irritated as Levi (not a bad thing, I love Hiroshi Kamiya after all). I also didn't take Hange's tone to be mocking at all. I'd like to hear a different clip for her to make a better judgment though.
Pangea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Way to go. Sound so f*cking americanized. Disgusting. Original feeling of the anime gone.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
If i post anything that does not put the dub in a good light, and make it sound like it's the best thing ever i'm sure my fan club will come in here and type with such intense rage that the sound of their fingers crushing each letter on their keyboards transmits to my sound system and in turn wakes up my lazy cat. My cat would be very displeased with that Sad.

BUT I can't, since Funimation has, as per usual, seemingly blocked the trailer in all regions except NA...

Don't even get me started on the fact that Funimation have shut out everyone except NA residents on the Collectors Edition Sad...

EDIT: Saw the title of the video, and this video was posted like a week ago, no? I saw it on a blog, but it got taken down rather quickly.

I thought the leader of the squad did an excellent job, I enjoyed both his voice and the feeling he put into his performance. Really made the character come alive, even if it was just a minor role.

Sadly, I did not like the rest, for the vast majority of what's been shown. And I should add that this applies for the other revealed trailers as well. For the most part it just doesn't seem like the actors were all that psyched about being cast in this massive hit of an anime. The emotion & enthusiasm just isn't there.

Not to mention it seems like they decided to change some of the character's personalities, which I find to be a less than desirable move. A lot of the characters in the anime has fanbases themselves, and if you change those characters quite a few people will be unhappy about it... The one I think stood out most in this regard was Levi, why would they "tone" him down like that? To diminish Levi as a person should be treated as blasphemy!

@Chaos Salad

Quote:
If anything it's supposed to be set somewhere in Europe. So an English dub would put it closer to the intended setting. Right?

I don't think that's how it works. If anything, I think the original will always convey whatever is supposed to be conveyed better, simply because they have the original vision, and not one that has been reworked, or imitated.

I actually don't think an english dub makes any sense in regards as to what you're trying to say, since Europe is made up of many countries, where many different languages are spoken. There are other places than the UK in Europe you know Wink. For that matter, shouldn't the actors be speaking with a british accent? I vote for the stereotypical London chav accent.

Make it happen Funi!

Last edited by SouthPacific on Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
enurtsol

Pangea wrote:

Way to go. Sound so f*cking americanized. Disgusting. Original feeling of the anime gone.

Which did they Americanize in that clip?
(Also keep in mind, these are Western lands.)

SouthPacific wrote:

Don't even get me started on the fact that Funimation have shut out everyone except NA residents on the Collectors Edition Sad...

If Japan has shipping forwarding services for foreigners on Japan-only orders, there has to be some of those in N. America as well.

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chaos Salad

Pangea wrote:

Well yes, since English is spoken in America, you can't really avoid that? Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what you're mad about. It's not like AoT is set in Japan. If anything it's supposed to be set somewhere in Europe. So an English dub would put it closer to the intended setting. Right?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5