• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Back in the USA

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
License, say, Hyouka or Tatami Galaxy and you will have my attention (and money).

Hyouka would get me to part with my money too.

Question on the fan-service/ecchi (whatever you want to call it) topic. Could someone give me an example of an anime that is there just for T&A? I don't know of a series that would be considered pure ecchi and nothing but.

I mean, most anime that get listed on sites always have more than one genre tag...
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:
License, say, Hyouka or Tatami Galaxy and you will have my attention (and money).

Question on the fan-service/ecchi (whatever you want to call it) topic. Could someone give me an example of an anime that is there just for T&A? I don't know of a series that would be considered pure ecchi and nothing but.

I mean, most anime that get listed on sites always have more than one genre tag...

I'd say that Qwaser and Queens Blade really exist for the sake of T&A.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:51 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

And I would say that you are wrong. Not about Qwaser, because I have never seen that, but about Queen's Blade.
The nudity and bouncy boobs are definitely a large part of the attraction for some people, including me, but there is more to the show than that.
I do not want to turn this into a debate about the merits of Queen's Blade but in my opinion it definitely does not fit the "pure ecchi and nothing but" description.

Anything that did fit that description would basically be an animated Playboy video, with one or more naked women doing nothing but posing for the camera.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

They're definitely core components, but if those were the ONLY things the creators were concerned with, they wouldn't have even bothered with the conflicts. T&A might be the catalyst, but they're not the element.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

And you would be wrong. Both those shows have plenty of story and character development. Qwaser's mangaka has a very solid grasp on scientific studies and it really shows in some of the fights with how the various elements interact with one another and the chemical properties each of them possess.

The statement that a series exists only for fanservice will always be an unfounded and generalization. Usually said by people who have no idea what they're talking about and looking for a strawman to suit whatever argument they're trying to push.

-Stuart Smith
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, and Love Hina is really a deep love story. Come on now. There are not complex reasons for why people watch those things. Scrounging for scraps and saying "well it's not 100%!" doesn't change that.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
^
That's just your opinion.
The fact that you personally do not like something does not make it total crap.
No matter what you think of Love Hina saying that it is nothing but ecchi is completely ridiculous.
the original question asked for something that is 100% ecchi.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lostrune

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
Yeah, and Love Hina is really a deep love story. Come on now. There are not complex reasons for why people watch those things. Scrounging for scraps and saying "well it's not 100%!" doesn't change that.

Way to throw all the female Love Hina fans under a bus Laughing I remember back in the day Love Hina was all over the convention circuit when it was hot new thing.

Got to admit I see a lot of female fans for these fanservice shows. I doubt they're all lesbians only watching it for the hot girls so apparently they find something in these shows besides the boobs they like Wink
TheSeventhSense

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:29 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I will hazard a guess the content on that disc will have been censored into a deeper stupidity than it was orginally produced otherwise Walmart wouldn't go near it.

Walmart's had a ton of stuff on their website, like the Qwaser DVDs. Doesn't mean it's actually being sold in their stores.

Still, though...I can get it for free store pickup. Even in Utah. I'd love to see the clerk's reaction. Razz

Also, I recall a news story a couple years back where Wal-Mart flipped out over yaoi being sold on their online store, and now they've got Junjo Romantica DVDs and this.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
The quote says "a lot", not "all". If you're going to quote me to try and make your point you could at least not mischaracterize what I actually said in the thing you're quoting.
Okay, yes, that was a mistake to put "all" there. But even if "all" were replaced by "many," "most," or even "a substantial minority," I think the essential point would be unaffected. Namely, that the genre's detractors are trying to have it both ways by pushing the myth of the milksop sex offender.

Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Any series that uses the trip-fall-grope gag. Well, maybe "sexual-assaulty" would be more accurate, but "rapey" is easier to say.
Yet these incidents are near-universally accidental and instantly regretted by the perpetrator, who is not given the shielding from physical retribution or social sanctions that a pervasive rape culture would normally afford him. Quite a few male harem leads have hate clubs among the guys (or girls!) at their school just for being close to the female leads, let alone committing any transgressions against them. Note that it's virtually never the audience-self-insert main character who initiates the bathhouse/hotspring "peep at the girls" routine (though he's often the one who bears the brunt of the punishment), and nobody ever gets away with it undetected and scot-free. Why wouldn't a rapey genre allow that to happen?

Again, I point back to Akatsuki Oosawa of Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero, whose genuinely rapey personality and actions generated so much controversy in the review thread precisely because they were so unusual for the genre. And while other series are not 100% devoid of rapey elements, the genre's chief problem cannot simultaneously be cardboard wimpy no-confidence losers who recoil at the touch of a female or the sight of female skin and sadistic rapists who tie their waifu-chans to a chair.

junmaedaisjesus wrote:
More often than not, it's usually the main character (who's supposedly the "nice" guy)/ generic pervy student who comes out for 2 minutes an episode during school who pulls the worn-to-the-ground "I fell, landed on your boob, let me give 'em a squeeze" bull. The worst part is when they just dismiss it with the girl punching them or some stupid slapstick like that. If someone touches you, take them to court. It's repetitive instances like this that make men look like degenerates and women seem like they're pliable to male desires.
So man accidentally gropes woman = "take 'em to court", but woman deliberately physically assaults man = "some stupid slapstick"? Though I'm not going to go all Tyrenol and condemn these series for misandric violence, as I view it as something that "goes with the territory" for the genre. Still, there are some incidents that strain one's tolerance, like an ep of Maken-ki! Two where a guy gets pummeled for being almost raped by the girl who almost rapes him.

penguintruth wrote:
Also, I have never encountered English dubs that are terrible because they were "too accurate", so don't give me that nonsense.
Watch Majikoi or Demon King Daimao dubbed by Sentai and see if you still feel that way.

EyeOfPain wrote:
Pirates will continue to pirate, until they experience a drastic change of heart. This is especially true for sub-only releases, as it doesn't offer anything more than what's provided by the fansubs.
Indeed, pirates are masters of moving the goalposts. They said they wanted cheaper, faster releases, and US releases got cheaper and faster than they were in the singles days, but it still wasn't fast enough -- the industry still wasn't providing the finished disc version before the pirated TV versions ~12 hours after the Japanese broadcast, which is obviously impossible. The pirates wanted a different, less-localized approach to subbing, and some companies like Funimation started providing that, but it still wasn't enough. The fonts were too "boring," the colors too ugly, even though simple fonts in white or (at one point) yellow with black outlines are/were considered perfectly acceptable in the fansub world.

In fact, some would say that sub-only releases are worse than what fansubs offer, due to the text aliasing and worse timing/typesetting found on disc subs. There might have been translation differences in the past, but between copy+pasted CR subs on disc and improved CR subs in the rips, the choice is obvious. And if pirates want the DVD/BD versions, they know where to look, whereas NA releases seem a bit hit-and-miss lately in terms of getting the broadcast versions instead of the disc versions.

reanimator wrote:
If you think buying expensive collector discs is crazy, then building a library full of cheap crappy anime is also foolish.
What about expensive collector discs of crappy anime? I don't think Aniplex-released shows like Vividred Operation and Nisemonogatari are exactly high in the critical esteem department.

Stuart Smith wrote:
Qwaser's mangaka has a very solid grasp on scientific studies and it really shows in some of the fights with how the various elements interact with one another and the chemical properties each of them possess.
I agree; it's much more coherent in that department than other, more respectable series like FMA that degenerate into magical pseudoscience.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

The fact that you personally do not like something does not make it total crap.
No matter what you think of Love Hina saying that it is nothing but ecchi is completely ridiculous.

I wasn't drawing a 1:1 analogy between Love Hina and that other stuff at all, & you've missed the point. All I'm saying is that you can't deny what the main selling point(s) of a thing are by pointing out exceptions and secondary things (in the Love Hina case, in my view it's pretty clearly a goofy comedy first and anything else comes second). If one enjoys those things and it happens to be enough, then great. I don't care, it's not my business. Just don't posture as though the main appeal isn't there or is of no consequence because of it. I'm saying "Not 100%!" is a meaningless defense. Even the worst schlock makes a gesture at having something more to it.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:
Kaisos Erranon wrote:

I disagree. I find Queen's Blade's story to be quite compelling. The latter seasons I will admit aren't as robust, plot-wise, but I happen to think Virgin Exile was really, really good.

I haven't seen Qwaser so I can't comment on that one. You may have a point with Qwaser, but Queen's Blade actually has an interesting story, believe it or not.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
GWOtaku wrote:
I wasn't drawing a 1:1 analogy between Love Hina and that other stuff at all, & you've missed the point.

I think that you are the one who is missing the point.

Quote:
All I'm saying is that you can't deny what the main selling point(s) of a thing are by pointing out exceptions and secondary things (in the Love Hina case, in my view it's pretty clearly a goofy comedy first and anything else comes second).

Nobody is denying the main selling points, whatever they might be.
The original request was "Could someone give me an example of an anime that is there just for T&A? I don't know of a series that would be considered pure ecchi and nothing but."

If Love Hina is "a goofy comedy first and anything else comes second" how can it be pure ecchi and nothing but?
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
zalis116 wrote:
What about expensive collector discs of crappy anime? I don't think Aniplex-released shows like Vividred Operation and Nisemonogatari are exactly high in the critical esteem department.

Ironically vividred is the only aniplex series i want, but thats neither here nor there.

As for only t&a, I've seen a couple of hentais that seem to have nothing other than that, but i dont know if people want to include those. The closest i can see to having only ecchi and nothing else are the special episodes of series like To Love Ru, Ladies vs. Butlers, and Samurai Girls. Like i said though, thats all they are:bonus episodes, usually not story important..
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:

Whatchu talkin' about Willis? Nise is super highly regarded, and it's one of the best selling anime out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 14