• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Nintendo Confirms New 3DS Will Be Region-Locked

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:44 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:
Nintendo needs to get out of the 80's and 90's mindset, region locking is no longer needed in today's' consoles, it's restrictive and shafts importers and especially European and Australian gamers which get games in their region super late or not at all. This is nothing more than Nintendo going back to the dark days of control and tyranny under the guise of "cultural considerations". The PS4 is region free, the vita is region free, and the Xbox One is region free, get with the times because returning to the dark days will bite you in the butt.

PS: If a shareholder or shareholders reads this, demote Iwata or have him retire at your next shareholders' meeting, he's close to retirement age and this wouldn't have happened if you made either decision earlier. He is bad for Nintendo.

You should learn history before spouting nonsense. Nintendo has never region locked its portable consoles up until the DS. Home consoles were a different matter but portable ones had no region locking on them. Gameboy, Gameboy color, Gamboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP, Gameboy micro were all region free.
I think it's after the DS era that they started going down the dark path.

Last edited by Cptn_Taylor on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:45 am; edited 1 time in total
mrmuk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:44 am Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
mrmuk wrote:

From what I know, the whole point behind region lock is so that japanese people don't buy games from america/europe 'cause they're much cheaper than the japanese versions.

Isn't this reason stupid? I mean, most of japanese can't speek english, so why would they buy english version of games? It make no sense.

I don't know about that. Afaik, there's at least 6 years of compulsory english classes in japanese schools, so japanese people might not be able to speak english very well, but their proficiency should be enough to understand a game, especially some of the nintendo bestsellers, i.e. everything Mario-related.

Still, it's kind of unfair. People should be given the freedom of what they buy and if they want to import or not instead of forcing them to support the regional industry (they do the same with anime imports).

I wonder if making the 3DS region-free would really cause all japanese people to import their games. I mean, importing and customs are annoying and I think most would just stick to buying the regional game versions. Also, Mario-games (and every 3DS game that sells good and is available in the west) should be popular enough so that they'd make a profit anyways, even if some people start importing.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
I've haven't bought one DS since they region-locked it. I skipped 4th, 5th, and 6th gen of Pokemon for it.

The fudge is the point in buying a handheld that's not even in it's full potential?
Hoofbites

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote
The original DS and DS Lite are region-free.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
I want to like Nintendo, I really do, but this sort of stuff worked during the days of the SNES, not so much today.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
When hasn't a Nintendo system been region locked? Refresh my memory.

The gameboy, gameboy color, gba and the original ds. Also you could mod any ntsc-u snes origina or just use a game genie to play any super famicom carts on said snes.

Technically, none of the DS iterations were region locked, except for a) the eShop, and b) DSi enhanced features (the games would work, but you couldn't connect online properly with them).

Also, Xenoblade for Wii isn't that expensive anymore, it's down to normal prices. Most likely, a used copy now will be cheaper than a N3DS copy.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
"From some people's perspective, it might seem like a kind of restriction. However, we hope people can appreciate the fact that we're selling our products worldwide."

fudge YOU.How am I supposed to appreciate if you are cock-blocking me?Hell,there's not even an eShop for WiiU in my country yet.Man,if piracy gets bigger on 3DS someday,you will totally deserve it...
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The fact that people constantly complain about this, and hackers are constantly trying to remove the region lock should say something...

PEOPLE WANT TO IMPORT GAMES

Iwata probably has a panic attack every time he sees people try to get around the region-locking.

For example.... "What?! People want to own certain games that will NEVER be released in their region?! I don't understand!"

Oh BTW, Nintendo has another restriction on the 3DS...
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendos-new-3ds-charges-30-cents-to-remove-an-in/1100-6421996/

Don't even get me started on how stupid that one is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
"From some people's perspective, it might seem like a kind of restriction. However, we hope people can appreciate the fact that we're selling our products worldwide."

fudge YOU.How am I supposed to appreciate if you are cock-blocking me?Hell,there's not even an eShop for WiiU in my country yet.Man,if piracy gets bigger on 3DS someday,you will totally deserve it...

Some modders/hackers are already working on soft-modding the 3ds with homebrew much like they did with the wii. The question is when said exploits will be available to everyone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:41 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

...I get why they do it. It's a smart business decision. And as much as we like to scream "greedy tyrant", there are studios that create games and those that localize games, and so they kinda depend on that specific region's revenue to make it back to those teams specifically.

It's not a smart business decision when the Xbox 360 did it.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:

The gameboy, gameboy color, gba and the original ds. Also you could mod any ntsc-u snes origina or just use a game genie to play any super famicom carts on said snes.

SNES ya can just break off a small piece of plastic.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:03 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

...I get why they do it. It's a smart business decision. And as much as we like to scream "greedy tyrant", there are studios that create games and those that localize games, and so they kinda depend on that specific region's revenue to make it back to those teams specifically.

It's not a smart business decision when the Xbox 360 did it.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:

SNES ya can just break off a small piece of plastic.

Yeah you can do the same with sega genesis, sms, n64 carts systems as well but I find it easier using a cheat device.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2