• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuki Yuna is a Hero (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

I did not last episode, but this time I cried, almost the whole funeral scene had me with tears in my eyes. Very effectively done. A very sad episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:21 pm Reply with quote
For sure. But they definitely gave Gin's death some emotional weight. I really felt bad when her younger brother had his outburst. This is just a crazy bit of speculation on my part but there is a part of me wondering if Yuki Yuna is a some sort of reincarnation of Gin.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
By far the strongest episode so far. Great funeral service, with everyone's reactions (particularly the younger brother), and the fact that they were called away from the funeral itself to fight was really emotionally impactful.

and you could REALLY feel Gin's absence at the festival. Sad
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 6

Even having a general idea of what was coming did not dull the moment. If anything it heightened a feeling of the inevitable. That along with the use of her legs Washi would lose her memory, Sonoko on the other hand losing everything but that and an eye, and the ability to speak.

Washi is now Togo, the events up to now have disappeared from her memory. But a hero did appear.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
The added touch of showing the jukai corrode when they activate Mankai does a lot to explain why the Shinju requires a sacrifice from the girls in exchange for power.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I'm very eager to see the cast from season 1 again along with Sonoko as part of the mix. Mind you, not really looking forward to see what horrible things they'll have to go through.
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
This week's a recap but it's a good one I think that helps ep 6 events have the right inpact.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I honestly was not happy when it started to look like it was a recap, but in the end it really refreshed the journey of the first season, and with just some narration of Togo, with Washio being the main character of the season so far was a good choice. And extra weight to Togo meeting Sonoko. Really I think they did a great job of getting all of the emotions in. Most vivid was when Fu got upset for her sister.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
As some one who hated how Togo got away with everything at the end of the first season I'm definitely not upset that she got un-personed and became a flaming sacrifice.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Rolling Eyes I have zero idea how anybody could not sympathize with Togo's actions from the first season. She and the others were continuously lied to by The Amnesty. She had found out that her fate and the fate of her friends was to be sacrifices who couldn't actually die, merely whittled away until they were living corpses stretched out on a hospital bed. Who could blame her for wanting to destroy the whole stupid system? These are young school girls for Pete's sake.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:16 pm Reply with quote
I get it, sure, but she still tried to mercy kill all her friends (with the rest of humanity as a side benefit) without even asking their opinions on the matter. It's still something she has to atone for. That she got off completely scott free and was even rewarded for it (getting her legs back) is something that never sat right with me.

This is even worse after reading NoWaYu since spoiler[something similar happens there but the girl involved has even better reasons for her actions yet she meets a much crueler fate.]

So far as Taisha is concerned, it was a no-win situations for them. They need heroes to fight or else all of humanity is doomed. So if the heroes knew everything and then refused to fight they'd be screwed. Hiding the truth was the best option at the time.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I guess? Doing bad things but getting off scott free is Magical Girl Anime 101, and usually happens for girls who have much less compelling reasons for what they did than Togo (who was ALSO in a no-win situation, and would be in no better position when her friends told her "no, let's not suicide the world." I'm not sure why you're prepared to make excuses for the Taisha but not Togo).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
Do I need to make excuses for her? Blood- pretty much covered it.

Also there's a difference between an organisation doing questionable things to save humanity and a girl trying to end it for selfish reasons. Togo attempted to take the coward's way out because she didn't want to feel bad seeing her friends suffer.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:29 am Reply with quote
It wasn't the coward's way out: it was an understandable mental snapping given all she had suffered, including the death of a friend and the (even worse) living death of another, plus the torture of her current friends. You remind me of those people back before we understood PTSD and called it "shell shock" who sneered at soldiers who broke during battle because they were "cowards" and obviously lacked moral fibre.

Part of the problem is that the show itself with its premise has set up a situation where it is almost obligatory to have a character like Togo do what she did. If not, what are we left with? A show about a group of school girls being tortured to save the world whose only response is, "gee, this sucks, but nothin' we can do about it!" Whee.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:41 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
You remind me of those people back before we understood PTSD and called it "shell shock" who sneered at soldiers who broke during battle because they were "cowards" and obviously lacked moral fibre.

Only most of those soldiers didn't go "Man, war is hell... Better kill all my loved ones so they never have to experience it!"

And yeah, so far as I'm concerned anyone who choses death over living through hardships is taking the coward's way out. What makes it worse in this case is that she decided on her own that it'd be better if everyone else died too without caring what they thought about it.

She broke tenants 2, 4, and 5. Again, I understand why, and there are worse cases of Karma Houdinis (Shizuru getting away with raping her friend for instance) but she still needs to atone or for her mistakes have lasting consequences. Like she lost her legs permanently, or Yuuna never awoke from her coma, or Yuuna hit it off with some cute guy during her hospital stay.

This season is acknowledging that so my biggest gripe from season 1 has been taken care of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 11