• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Partners with Right Stuf to Release Gundam Franchise Stateside

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zalis: Newb anime fans wouldn't care about more recent Gundams, anyway. They think Eva is all they need to see. Rolling Eyes

What you're implying makes sense. Modern anime fans don't care about modern Gundam shows so they'll watch and buy a 40 year old anime in its place. It makes perfect sense. Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Then you might wanna cross your fingers and hope Right Stuf's able to negotiate with Sunrise on getting us the 'banned' episode from that set this time.

You do understand that episode is shit ? Even in the Japanese release it's in there as an extra. Not as a regular episode. I would understand if the island episode had full nudity or some other kind of strange Japanese cultural thing that's a no no in the west. That's not the case. The episode is just bad bad with a capital b. Poor poor poor. Tomino was justified in eliminating it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
Cptn: I meant that they don't give a damn about Gundam, period, new or old.

Quote:
You do understand that episode is shit ? Even in the Japanese release it's in there as an extra. Not as a regular episode.

Even if it's terrible, fans should have a legal right to see it. Besides, the guy who gave us Garzey's Wing has no right to complain about being embarrassed about anything else he did two decades prior. Razz It's like Suckass complaining about The Star Wars Holiday Special, but giving Howard the Duck a pass.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:42 am Reply with quote
The concept for the episode was good: spoiler[Amuro meets a Zeon soldier who abandoned his duties to raise children he made orphans.] It's sort of like a companion piece to the episode where those Zeon soldiers help the civilian mother and child (and then are promptly shot down by Amuro).

Unfortunately, it looks just horrid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Buster D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:

Quote:

Then you might wanna cross your fingers and hope Right Stuf's able to negotiate with Sunrise on getting us the 'banned' episode from that set this time.

You do understand that episode is shit ? Even in the Japanese release it's in there as an extra. Not as a regular episode.

Uh, no. It's included as a regular episode in all JP releases. Consumers in Japan would never let them get away with leaving it off (even if it were still in the extras) for such a stupid reason as "Tomino didn't like it".

And it's not that much worse than other episodes. It's not really necessary plot-wise, but so are a lot of episodes. If I wanted to skip it I'd just watch the movies instead of the TV series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7