• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:43 am Reply with quote
Raftina wrote:
Eh, my impression of StrikerS and what I've read of subsequent materials suggest that Nanoha and co were overpowered to the point of making things boring. I'm skeptical about whether shifting focus to Vivio would help anything--StrikerS has a sort of new generation, and Nanoha's (and less so Fate's) looming presence ruining any suspense.

Wasn't the major points in StrikerS that Nanoha reached the level by training until she almost killed herself, and that she has a power limiter on her so that she can't use her overpowered strength unless given permission?

Personally I am excited, I fell in love with the Nanoha franchise when I watched the anime, I think that I even re-watched the first season, and I would really, really like if it came out on DVD in my area.
Raftina

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:48 am Reply with quote
No. The overtraining and limiter are unrelated issues. Nanoha's overtraining had relevance in all of one scenario: berating Subaru and Teana for taking training too seriously.

The limiter was a purely political issue: She had to have one because she was too powerful. Frankly, this was a terrible device to keep the villains relevant--it worked about as well as it did in Other M--, and the plot device to eventually permit her to lift the limiter was even worse.

Last edited by Raftina on Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:53 am Reply with quote
Damn someone beat me to it.

Yeah the power limiters were the ground forces being obstinate. They didn't want squads going over a certain power level for reason I don't think were ever adequately explained.

Quote:

The limiter was a purely political issue: She had to have one because she was too powerful. Frankly, this was a terrible device to keep the villains relevant.

Oh please everything related to the Ground forces was a dumb plot device. They existed purely to block Hayate's authority and pad the plot.

Honestly I thought Nanoha's accident as a whole was a poorly handled plot point meant purely to guilt Teana into submission.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Finished watching the raw. It was alright considering the way it introduced the characters from the franchise like spoiler[Fate, Nanoha, and most importantly Vivio.]

I think spoiler[they put quite a bit of budget into the transformation scenes though. But overall, comedy in tone was decent although we don't see much action yet. I expect story to pick up pacing especially with that cliffhanger there. The new OP and ED songs are decent. Looking forward to more] Wink

Last edited by Stark700 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Everything outside the transformation though looked like cheap garbage.
I wonder if this means that Nanoha franchise is a very under the radar one these days?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Everything outside the transformation though looked like cheap garbage.

Here is a test for any series, look for a moment for when a character is shown full profile and is walking, does the walking cycle look decent?

Ep1 of Vivid has a blatant issue with animation quality consistency, but just as well for "some" of the scenes it is clear that there was staff designated to do work, we will just have to wait for more episodes to see if the series budget was properly laid out or was wasted in a "promo episode" situation.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:27 pm Reply with quote
The Nanoha franchise has always had trouble in the QUALITY department so it's hardly a new issue. It looked fine enough over all. The transformation scene went on far too long.

Pretty much exactly as it was in the manga. Guess we'll have to wait for the next episode to see how good the fighting scenes will be.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
Well, the japanese fans' reaction about the animation quality was extremely disappointed, and calling it "jiggly jiggly heaven" all over.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Okay so I finally got around to the first episode.

I have nothing really to say plot wise because nothing happened. I will say though that I never cared for the Ancient Belka stuff and frankly it makes no sense anyways in relation to the Book of Darkness story.

And OH MY GOD VIVIO WHAT"S WRONG WITH YOUR FAAAAACE. This art style really isn't doing it for me. The facial animation in particular bugs the hell outta me. Vivio's face looks like it's scrunched up into a head that's way too small. Other notable facial failures are Nove looking really angry when she's supposed to be embarrassed. Otto and Deed looking like something straight from my nightmares, their eyes are terrifying. And overall it's just really awkward looking.

Yukari Tamura and Nana Mizuki sound awful as Nanoha and Fate. I feel like Yukari was trying to make Nanoha sound really adult and mature but the voice she uses is too high pitched so it just sounds awkward. And Nana I don't even know. She either phoned it in or they just recorded an out of character line read and threw it on the track because this performance sounded nothing like her other times as Fate. Fate's voice is actually kinda deep and has a very distinct sound to it. Here though her voice is rather high pitched and really it sounds like Nana used her normal speaking voice to record this.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
Other notable facial failures are Nove looking really angry when she's supposed to be embarrassed.

That's probably intentional. Nove is the type to get angry to hide her embarrassment.

I still think the visuals are at least an improvement over the manga. The manga art tries way too hard to be cutesy with its giant eyes and dopey expressions.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Vivid is the better manga than Force. serious doesn't mean it's good. Tons Slice of Life anime better than your serious anime.

I guess you actually mean good slice of life is better than bad serious plot driven.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
She was pretty visibly embarrassed in the manga and everyone reacted like she was supposed to be obviously embarrassed so I'm calling that a fail.

I do agree the manga art is also pretty bad but I can't call the anime an improvement as they both look equally awkward.

I would mention Nanoha's hair constantly shifting sizes but the series has always had that problem so meh, I'll just make silly jokes about her ponytail trying to consume her head for that.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:00 am Reply with quote
And almost needless to mention, but they cut out all fanservice and pantyshots as expected, aside from that transformation. The panties showing during their changing scene was so poor and far away that doesn't count as service shot.
But that is just how anime is nowadays.
Still between the horrible animation and the removed fanservice, I'd be surprised if even the hardcore fans woud buy this one.
leonard.lim.944023

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:09 am Reply with quote
When will the VVivid Manga end?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:34 am Reply with quote
So here's the big question: is someone who has no previous experience with the franchise going to be able to follow this one? My only previous contact with the franchise has been via some doujinshi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8