• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MysticMew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:13 am Reply with quote
Well, Yuuno made a reference to be coming from a different world/dimension (depending on translation/sub) first season which is supposed to be Mid-Childa. At the end of first season, dimensional space had to stabilize after the events and the road to Mid-Childa was still too unstable. Here it was also mentioned that the distance between Earth and HQ was less than between Earth and Mid-Childa in terms of dimensional travel and here it comes down to the crux and the show's vagueness on the matter already starts...

Let me try to explain because there is no clear answer to your question because the topic has been explained so sloppily (or not explained at all). It was never particularly said what "dimension" means in the Nanoha-verse. It's implied somewhat perhaps but mostly builds upon viewers already having an idea what it is supposed to mean. Sure, we probably do know what "alternate dimension" means but then you have the question how travel through "dimensional space" works. It's clearly not normal sci-fi hyperspace travel. After all hyperspace travel would imply crossing normal space in the same dimension. As we specifically have terms like the Sea of Dimensions etc. it's obvious all travel is done through dimensions... or is it?

That's what has me puzzled. Because if the TSAB is connected like this, it means that it is connected by a net of singular worlds throughout different dimensions. That would mean they are mostly travelling sideways instead of forward and back. Are ships able to travel further than their own galaxy in their same dimension? No idea.

So, in the end it could be that Mid-Childa is in the same dimensional plane as Earth or it couldn't... Perhaps I actually find it more believable that it is a different dimension because if it was just another planet having so many similarities to Earth is more logical. Perhaps dimensional routes are mostly (easier?) established with planets of similar evolution type? This way you could perhaps think of Mid-Childa as a parallel Earth of some kind?

You see it's all incredible vague. The series throws around the term "dimension" without proper detail and if you think too hard on it you only get headaches while running in circles. It's really the one sloppy thing I can mention about Nanoha.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote
The way they talk about dimensions and other worlds makes it seem like they're dealing with parallel universes and such. But it's not like it's ever suggested Mid is some sort of alternate Earth. For me I just think of it as normal space where they travel through subspace to cover long distances faster.

As for the architecture, we know Nanoha and Hayate aren't the first Earthlings to move to Mid. I'm sure others brought their design sense over.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

spoiler[Einhard vs Vivio this episode huh? Interesting. I have some mixed thoughts on it but the budget going into Einhard's transformation scene was nice.] Decent episode overall with more foreshadowing and story building too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
natchu96

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Vivio just isn't as cut out for combat after she loses her Armor to the Strikers ending. She'll never be another Olivie, and luckily she doesn't need to be.

A part of me can't wait until the tournament where the rest of the Belkans end up gathering, but I don't want the plot to be rushed either.
MysticMew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
Personally both the tournament and earlier training camp that should come up soon are what I am looking forward to.

I've been wondering about how the rate of adaption will work out but just checking back on the manga right now... The current episode ends at the end of Chapter 7/Volume 1. So it's about 2/2.5 chapters per episode so far. Seeing as the manga has over 50 chapters (so far, as translated ones go at least), I'd say we might be looking for 26 episodes maybe? Is there official information of how long Vivid will run because I haven't really seen a concrete one yet.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

So Vivio spoiler[lost against Einhart]? Well Nanoha spoiler[also lost to Fate also in their first fight]. As we all know from this franchise, nothing makes friends more than beating each other up.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Lutecia be an actual person. Probation on a remote planet for 4 years certainly did wonders for her
MysticMew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing about Lutecia is... that 180 in her personality is pretty much a Vivid thing... I just recently got around to listening to the Sound Stage about Ixpellia and Lu was definitely still closer to her Strikers self in that short scene she had in there. Oh well, it's a little surprising at first but I like it.

Now let's see if the Vivid staff can handle magic battles... spoiler[About the one real magic battle in the whole of the series (so far) is coming up.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
MysticMew wrote:
The funny thing about Lutecia is... that 180 in her personality is pretty much a Vivid thing... I just recently got around to listening to the Sound Stage about Ixpellia and Lu was definitely still closer to her Strikers self in that short scene she had in there.

Yeah, a lot of us had a problem with that when the manga was at this point. We're all used to it by now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Well, I'm starting to like spoiler[Einhald more and more now. Hope her friendship with Illya won't have any problems. Hey maybe Illya can give her some swimming lessons and Einhald can help her with water cutting.]
natchu96

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 4:

Well, I'm starting to like spoiler[Einhald more and more now. Hope her friendship with Illya won't have any problems. Hey maybe Illya can give her some swimming lessons and Einhald can help her with water cutting.]

You heard it here first: Illya now lives in Nanohaverse.

In all seriousness, now I can't wait for next week. Let further Befriending commence.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You heard it here first: Illya now lives in Nanohaverse.

there IS a crossover Prisma Illya one shot...

As for the episode, if you weren't sticking around to the end then you already jumped off the "bus" as it were.

I eat magical girl series up like overly sugary cereal.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:15 am Reply with quote
MysticMew wrote:
It's really the one sloppy thing I can mention about Nanoha.

It probably just comes down to "Conservation of Detail" in that the exact mechanics don't really impact the story. That said, the franchise usually does take a Sci-fi-like approach to things, so it makes sense why one would be slightly annoyed by it not delving somewhat further into the details. Personally, I'm still struggling to get past Chris/Sacred Heart having a butthole for a mouth.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
That's not really a butthole, but a stylized mouth they tend to use to somehow show that a character rarely/never speaks.
It might symbolize something else in this case, not really sure, but this kind of mouth is usually considered cute on plushies.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
A butthole is a *, not a x.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8