• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SGT Frog Invades ADVFilms.com

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:03 am Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:
And this is the reason why I'll be holding my money until I make sure it's a faithful translation.

I don't care for dubs, just keep the in-jokes, cross-references, original music and we're in business.

Glad I know Japanese.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:36 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Ryvius213 wrote:
Sweet! ALL HAIL KERORO! I also hope that ADV will include explanations for the jokes.

They will, but their explanations will be horrifically incorrect. Excel Saga's Vid Notes had me cringing, as I don't remember them actually getting a single Gundam reference right. In the Matsumoto parody episode with the Puchu White Base, they not only got every crew member's name mixed up (Frau is Sayla, Sayla is Mirai, that sort of thing), but I think they even described it as being from "Gundam Wing," if I recall (I know they did that at some point in the series, just not sure if it's during the White Base parody or not).

I dread this release. I really do.

It's not like they got every Gundam reference wrong (I think they even identified the Dom right for the gag with Excel's pants legs), but you're right, some of their info was innacurate, and for a show so heavily steeped in Gundam reference, that's not good.

Er, so maybe they can pry Mark Simmons away from Bandai for a little while to get the notes right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
loplop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:02 am Reply with quote
Great, ADV gets to butcher another show. I'm still rather pissed off about the butchering of Comic Party Revolutions. They completely trashed the first 4 episodes by cutting 8-9 minutes from each one. What will they cut from Keroro Gunsou?
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote
loplop wrote:
Great, ADV gets to butcher another show. I'm still rather pissed off about the butchering of Comic Party Revolutions. They completely trashed the first 4 episodes by cutting 8-9 minutes from each one. What will they cut from Keroro Gunsou?

Uhhh, the first 4 episodes were originally the OVA episodes that were cut down from time for TV broadcast. ADV has those TV broadcast episodes along with the other 9 episodes.

Something tells me you won't respond to this. Rolling Eyes
biliano

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:35 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

I know that you're one of the biggest Gundam fans on the planet, and I understand why you and all of the Gundan fans on the ANN forum (among other places) might be concerned about how ADV handles the franchise, but in my view I'm not dreading the eventual release of this series (which according to Diamond Previews is slated for February 2007). On the contrary, I'm looking forward to this series. I don't download anime so I haven't seen Sgt. Frog yet. I don't know how many Gundam references are contained in this series, and frankly I don't care (being that I'm not a Gundam fan to begin with). The Gundam references are irrelevant in my view. I'm mainly interested in this series because my favorite director (Junichi Sato) worked on this series, and everything he touches turns into pure gold. Cool
Mihara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote
"SGT Frog"? Why are they using that translation?

Meh, I look forward to this. They'll probably keep the in jokes, they'll probably have half assed explanations, but I already understand most of them on my own, so that won't bother me.
loplop

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
loplop wrote:

Uhhh, the first 4 episodes were originally the OVA episodes that were cut down from time for TV broadcast. ADV has those TV broadcast episodes along with the other 9 episodes.

Actually, I will. The fact was they were not presented in their original form of the OVAs, so Yes, it was butchered. What was cut out was significant, especially in episodes 1 & 4 of the series. I would have much rather seen Right Stuf release the series because they would have released it complete. I am going way off topic here. ADV has butchered more than one show, and I feel that this will be the latest . . . .
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
loplop wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
loplop wrote:

Actually, I will. The fact was they were not presented in their original form of the OVAs, so Yes, it was butchered. What was cut out was significant, especially in episodes 1 & 4 of the series. I would have much rather seen Right Stuf release the series because they would have released it complete. I am going way off topic here. ADV has butchered more than one show, and I feel that this will be the latest . . . .

Now to be fair about this ..

How do we know that the OVAs were able to be licensed for R1? The license holder could have said no or were making it impossible like what's happening with Shana-tan. Besides, ADV didn't cut it down for TV. The original producers did.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Mihara wrote:

Because they can. And probably because the manga did.

For those dreading the release, I don't suppose FLCL as precedent could give you hope for the future.....

Another thing: I thought this was licensed a long time ago.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
The manga has been licensed for a long time, but there has ever been anything about the anime being licensed.

Quote:
Now to be fair about this ..

How do we know that the OVAs were able to be licensed for R1? The license holder could have said no or were making it impossible like what's happening with Shana-tan. Besides, ADV didn't cut it down for TV. The original producers did.

It probably would have been separate from the TV license and would have cost extra.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
loplop wrote:

I was also a bit pissed off that ADV used the TV broadcast version instead of the OVA version of the first four episodes of Comic Party Revolution. Seriously, you'd think they learned their lesson after getting flack for Sakura Diaries years ago. However, I seriously suspect that it's the Japanese licensor at fault for holding back the OVA version--they want the Japanese fans to buy the four 1-episode discs to get the OVA footage, so to prevent them from reverse-importing ADV's Vol. 1 and getting all four OVA episodes for super-cheap, they gave ADV the TV version. Yet another example of a Japanese company saying, "Oh, North American fans, please give us your money because we need licensing revenue to produce anime, but we're going to screw you over and give you a flawed version of the show." Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Speaking of translation notes/references, CPR is yet another series that isn't getting deleted off my hard drive, since the fansubs do far more to explain the in-jokes, like Aya dressing in costumes from other Leaf games in the first episode. ADV doesn't come anywhere close to what TRSI did for the first series.

And now that Sgt. Frog is being scheduled for February, it once again begs the question, "How can they announce a series three months before a DVD release, when this series is still MIA?"
Mihara

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Mihara wrote:

Because they can. And probably because the manga did.
You think they'd for an, I dunno, accurate translation.
Anime Lord

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:04 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME!!! Very Happy
Keroro is so cool. I'm glad ADV got it....
Oh, and I'm kinda bothered by the fact that they might call the anime SGT Frog. Confused Why not just translate the title directly and call it SGT Keroro? I'll always be calling it Keroro Gunsou, so I guess it doesn't matter. Wink
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:15 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
On the contrary, I'm looking forward to this series. I don't download anime so I haven't seen Sgt. Frog yet. I don't know how many Gundam references are contained in this series, and frankly I don't care (being that I'm not a Gundam fan to begin with). The Gundam references are irrelevant in my view.

Here's the thing. About 90% of all the referencial humor in Keroro Gunsou consists of Gundam and other Bandai anime references (or at least it has in the dozen or so episodes I've seen). Hell, the red frog, Giroro, is the epitome of every hard-boiled Zeon ace that ever existed (Ramba Ral, Norris Packard, Shin Matsunaga, et al). The show really wouldn't be half as funny as it is if you didn't know at least the basics of Gundam; to have a diminutive, megalomaniacal frog shout "even my own father didn't hit me!" just is not funny at all unless you know it's lifted from a certain scene in the original Gundam series with a certain slap-happy captain. And those sort of references occur several times in an episode. Yes, Keroro does cook up some original comedic material, but easily about 25-50% of the humor contained within requires a good working knowledge of Bandai mech anime, especially Gundam.

And with ADV getting three Gundam references wrong to every one they got right in past liner notes and Vid Notes, yes, I'm dreading this release. Not merely as a Gundam otaku, but as a Keroro fan who knows the comedy just doesn't work if the company handling it doesn't know jack about what they're translating. This isn't Gundam fanboy rantings; given the very core nature of the show's comedy, ADV's obvious cluelessness about Gundam WILL sorely hurt the quality of this release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
wilson_x1999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
Nagisa wrote:

I know that you're one of the biggest Gundam fans on the planet, and I understand why you and all of the Gundan fans on the ANN forum (among other places) might be concerned about how ADV handles the franchise, but in my view I'm not dreading the eventual release of this series (which according to Diamond Previews is slated for February 2007). On the contrary, I'm looking forward to this series. I don't download anime so I haven't seen Sgt. Frog yet. I don't know how many Gundam references are contained in this series, and frankly I don't care (being that I'm not a Gundam fan to begin with). The Gundam references are irrelevant in my view. I'm mainly interested in this series because my favorite director (Junichi Sato) worked on this series, and everything he touches turns into pure gold. Cool

I was gonna answer this, but Nagisa already did Razz

If the ADV releases are crap, I'll have to spend LOTS, and I mean, LOTS of money on getting the R2 releases >.<
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6