• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gintama

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I used to love it more, before I realized the serious arcs would probably never add up to a meaningful conclusion.

They kind of are now (in the manga, anyway), but it took a while. Also, anyone who'd chastise you for skipping episodes of a series that features minimal continuity - or any series, for that matter- is a butt.
Via_01

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I loved this episode, it was funny to the very end.

And I do mean to the very end: even the friggin' text on the new episode preview made me laugh:

"At this point, the word "frozen" only brings to mind one thing, but this manga chapter was published first, so we decided to let it go!"
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:40 pm Reply with quote
^ Agreed. I loved the second short with the oh-so-helpful suggestions as to how to not hide your smut collection.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
As usual, This is Gintama we all know and love it.

Quick question: What does it mean PTA?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:09 am Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
As usual, This is Gintama we all know and love it.

Quick question: What does it mean PTA?

Parent-Teacher Association. Basically, a morality committee made-up from parents & teachers.
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I seem to recall the main characters complaining about their show being targeted by the PTA in some of the earlier episodes.
Shinraisei

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:35 pm Reply with quote
JaggedAuthor wrote:
I seem to recall the main characters complaining about their show being targeted by the PTA in some of the earlier episodes.

The 2014 Jump special even goes further into having that Zengetsu-parody character tell them the special technique is to do a dogeza apology to all the sponsors (presumably for the crazy stuff they've done)

Anyway, that B-side of the episode seemed to purposely dare said committee into filing a complaint. I'm sure the result will make it into a future episode.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:15 am Reply with quote
Episode #270:

First off, nice trolling about Frozen last week's episode, for there was none this week. Secondly, I think this episode will anger the PTA more than last week's. The stupid antics of this show are truly impressive. And although this run is so far heavier in parodying Dragon Ball (there isn't any blipping anymore. Did the studio/author reached some sort of an agreement with Toriyama Akira?), the humor is well placed enough to not feel dry or overused.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
When will they get to the gender swap arc?
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Episode 270 keeps the "action" contained—half of the episode takes place almost entirely in front of a mirror—but demonstrates the appeal of the character and situational-based crude humor for which the series is known.

Totally agree. Some of my favorite Gintama stories are fairly light on action. The sukiyaki battle and oden stand episodes come to mind.

Also, did we just see a Zenzou story without a single hemorrhoid joke? This could be a game-changer.
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
When will they get to the gender swap arc?

Its hard to say, but hopefully soon!! We can't really predict when since the anime doesn't do the arcs in order as they appear in the manga.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:19 am Reply with quote
Episode #271:

The Generation of Miracles and the Phantom Fifth Man (along with Pocari Pokari Sports drink). Another good, laughter-inducing episode. Very Happy
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:19 pm Reply with quote
"With that in mind, will the story scale back the comedy, go into serious mode and showcase a painful memory from Gintoki's war-torn past? Of course not. This is Gintama—and it's all the better for not going down that road."

Oh boy, you couldn't be more WRONG with that last sentence of "and it's all the better for not going down that road". If the anime manages to catch up with the manga, well... let's just say that Gintama's latest arcs are masterpieces, and it's all because of the flashback elements of them
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
That was brilliant. And I don't think there was a nose picked, or a meal vomited the entire episode, which makes it a stand-out right there. Even the bathroom war was tastefully done! I love Kuroko's Basketball, and I love Katsura, so this was just a treat all around, right down to the carefully enunciated, spoiler["Lolicon ja nai, feministo desu!"] Laughing
JaggedAuthor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
First his ominous New Year's card, now these Yakult notes? Takasugi's funniest moments always seem to be in writing.

To date, this is probably my favorite episode of the new season. Sorachi's willingness to mine the Joi War for jokes is further proof that even the series' more serious elements are ripe for parody. Also, any episode in which Gintoki and Katsura interact is an automatic winner in my book. It seems like Gintoki's willingness to indulge Zura diminishes every time they meet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 35