• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas Licenses Dark Parody Manga Franken Fran

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
not gonna lie this manga gave me nightmares. its not so much scary but highly disturbing. some of the characters lack of common sense (looking at you fran) was just terrifying
Ali07

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
Ah, so this is one of SS's announcements this week. Well, this one doesn't seem like a series I'd be into. So, guess I'll just have to wait and see what the other series is gonna be.

They did say, on twitter, that the 2nd series would be nothing like this one.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:28 am Reply with quote
Oh...my...god!!!!! I can't believe that anyone would ever licence "Franken Fran" much less Seven Seas Entertainment. I remember reading this from Jason Thompson's "House of a 1000 Manga" article. I don't think I could read through a single chapter much less the whole thing without vomiting. This manga would disgust Steven King and he's written more than his fair share of horror.
The gorehounds may love this but I don't think I could. It's just too disgusting for me. This manga's for those with a strong stomach,with mostly leaves me out. I don't think I could take it.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:16 am Reply with quote
lys wrote:
And finally, I'll never understand the vehement anti-omnibus stance.

They're often much harder to read than single volumes. Granted, few releases are as crappy as Zero's Familiar anymore – that thing tried to rip itself apart under its own weight when you held it open.

But I still find Seven Seas's omnibuses to be of lower quality than Yen Press's ones. Karneval is quite delightful – the spine doesn't bend out of shape when you read it, even though it's still pretty heavy when compared to something like Vinland Saga.
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Are Seven Seas' translations any good, though? I'll stick with the scans if I have random honorifics and stilted dialogue to look forward to. (The scans will have those, too, but at least I won't have to pay for them.)

And while we're on the subject, why hasn't anyone picked up Liar Game yet?

Yes sevenseas has good translations. In my opinion they are better than yen press when it comes to translating. Also if I am correct it is illegal to be viewing free scans of a licensed manga so if I were you I would just buy the manga when it comes out in english.
lys

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I get that omnibuses can have drawbacks, but to me those drawbacks are not significant enough to prevent me from buying the book at all, especially for a series I love. (then again, I also saw positives in the Tokyopop books with see-through paper stock, because they let me fit more books on a shelf...)

I would rank translation and lettering quality above physical book design in a list of "how much does this increase or detract from my reading enjoyment?" but even those could be lower quality and I'll still buy the book if it's a series I want to read. I'll grumble about it, but I'm a paying grumbler.
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:58 pm Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
lys wrote:
And finally, I'll never understand the vehement anti-omnibus stance.

They're often much harder to read than single volumes. Granted, few releases are as crappy as Zero's Familiar anymore – that thing tried to rip itself apart under its own weight when you held it open.

But I still find Seven Seas's omnibuses to be of lower quality than Yen Press's ones. Karneval is quite delightful – the spine doesn't bend out of shape when you read it, even though it's still pretty heavy when compared to something like Vinland Saga.

Is there anything in particular about our omnibus releases that make you feel as though they're of lower quality? Paper quality, trim-size, something else?
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
ptj_tsubasa wrote:
But I still find Seven Seas's omnibuses to be of lower quality than Yen Press's ones.

I can't compare the two, as I don't own any Yen omnis. But, I've not had any issues with the SS omnis I do own. Though, it's a small sample size...only consisting of Inukami! and Biscuit Hammer. Laughing

Can only compare them to Kodansha USA omnis, and yeah...no issues to speak of for either.
ajr

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
I'll probably give this a look since fans have mentioned it numerous times on ANN over the years, and for whatever reason hasn't been licensed until now.
ptj_tsubasa

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Conner Crooks wrote:
Is there anything in particular about our omnibus releases that make you feel as though they're of lower quality? Paper quality, trim-size, something else?

Not paper quality anymore, thankfully. There's of course always the issue of leaving more extra margin in the middle of the spread when the volume is thicker than normal, but that you seem to be aware of already. Though I think most publishers should be even more aggressive with this – Kodansha's Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches is just abysmal to read, and it's not even an omnibus release.

With thicker volumes you always need be careful about cracking the spine. I know no manga volume is produced with scanning in mind, but I'll just say that Yen Press's Karneval is the first softcover omnibus I've ever seen that I could press against a scanner as hard as I could without as much as a crease in the spine. And in the end you do need to open a manga to read it, and knowing there's no risk in harming the spine makes you feel more at ease when you're reading.

Honestly, it just seems like I never know what to expect when I buy a new release from you. Sometimes there's horrible moiré effect, like with Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. Sometimes there's pixelation, like with Clay Lord. And sometimes I've gotten volumes where the spine has been oddly crunched even before I had a chance to open the book, like with Young Miss Holmes here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2