• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Anime Gets Sequel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Without naming names, may I ask certain posters to cool it down, please?

I'm not going to ask again.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Geez, nobahn, I didn't think that JaggedAuthor and Via_01 were being THAT bad, but yeah, probably a good thing you are slapping them down.

(...hee hee hee...)
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
^
I, sir, am not amused.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:25 am Reply with quote
Remember when people thought Oreimo was a satire of incest shows?
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:28 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first season up to a point, but it seemed to gradually turn into what it was making fun of at the beginning -- understandable, as a Dengeki Bunko LN series isn't likely to offer biting critiques of otaku culture, which is its own bread and butter.

The breaking point for me was the introduction of fanservice music girl (FMG, hearafter). Up to that point, there had been a sly humor present in that the characters were written as if they were realistic(-ish) teenagers who are into these games, and if pressed would have to grudgingly admit that they do kinda-sorta resemble the overused character tropes in that stuff.

FMG arrives as not even a realistic-ish character, though, but a full-blown bedroom-invadin', under-dressin', blood-relatin', gratuitous-shower-takin' blob of fanservice, drawn from lecherous angles in nearly every shot. To me, that's when something that had mostly succeeded in a precarious balancing act fell off the tightrope. Sure, they gave her backstory, but VN girls get backstory too. I never saw her acting enough like a real teenage girl to buy into her character. In her case, trope came before character, which kinda derailed it for me.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
I didn't like Saekano... it just wasn't my kind of show. However, I think that Saekano is very innovative for a harem show, and it doesn't surprise me that they are making more of the anime adaptation, considering how much material this franchise has published:

-seven current volumes

-two short story collections

-three spinoff manga, two of which are still ongoing, with ten volumes of those already released

If you're wondering, "why is there so much demand for more Saekano?" ...it's probably because you haven't stumbled upon what happens in Volume Six or Volume Seven yet. (Warning: these links are cursed with spoilers.)

Edit: Thanks to FD2Raptor for correcting my numbers.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Mon May 04, 2015 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
I didn't like Saekano... it just wasn't my kind of show. However, I think that Saekano is very innovative for a harem show, and it doesn't surprise me that they are making more of the anime adaptation, considering how much material this franchise has published:

-seven current volumes, plus a short story collection

-SIX spinoff light novels covering the story from the girls' perspectives

-three spinoff manga, two of which are still ongoing, with eight volumes of those already released

Um...

There are two short stories collections. The 1st (Fan Disk) has 7 short stories (6 of which was published on magazine). The 2nd one (Girls Side) has two short stories: the 1st of which cover the events surrounding when Eriri & Utaha first met one another and the 2nd one, which was more than half of the volume, did feature certain events in LN7 from Eriri & Utaha perspective.

There's only one short story yet to be compiled. (Ai to Seishun to Shitajunbi [Love, youth and preliminary preparation], published March 20)

With regards to these "SIX spin off LNs", I'm not seeing anything extra listed on either the Japanese Wiki or the fujimishobo site, so it's just an error on the English Wiki page.

Also, there are 10 manga volumes released between the 3 spin-off manga.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 6:36 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Remember when people thought Oreimo was a satire of incest shows?
Not without just cause, surely. Wink
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
FD2Raptor wrote:
There are two short stories collections. The 1st (Fan Disk) has 7 short stories (6 of which was published on magazine). The 2nd one (Girls Side) has two short stories: the 1st of which cover the events surrounding when Eriri & Utaha first met one another and the 2nd one, which was more than half of the volume, did feature certain events in LN7 from Eriri & Utaha perspective.

There's only one short story yet to be compiled. (Ai to Seishun to Shitajunbi [Love, youth and preliminary preparation], published March 20)

With regards to these "SIX spin off LNs", I'm not seeing anything extra listed on either the Japanese Wiki or the fujimishobo site, so it's just an error on the English Wiki page.

Also, there are 10 manga volumes released between the 3 spin-off manga.

So "Girls' Side" is just a single short story compilation? Cool, thanks for double checking all that. I'll edit the original post and thank you in the corrections.

Still, whether there are 22 volumes or 19 volumes, my point was there's a lot of material out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4