• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Digimon Adventure tri. is 6-Part Theatrical Anime With New Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Well it finely good to hear something from this but a 6 part movie its just going to take so long to watch now
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
I'm really dissapointed that they recasted Ai Maeda, especially since she is singing the ED, but overall cast is good.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
With the delay and lack of transparency from Toei about what was actually going on, these numerous changes don't come as much of a surprise.

It's disappointing this will no longer be a series, but if adapting it into 6 films actually results in a higher quality production it can only be a good thing.

Still the change in cast will probably upset quite a few people, might even be a deal breaker for some.

The teaser looks good though I really like the digimons detailed designs, not so keen on the minimalist approach to the human characters however. I get that they're not the real stars of the show but they look a little jarring in comparison.

With nostalgia bubbling up inside me, I for one will wait patiently to see how everything eventually pans out.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote
That's.....certainly not what I was expecting. Huh.
I've loved Digimon since the 4th grade, and I'm not sure how I feel about all this.

The art style looks lovely, though - especially on the Digimon!
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
Well, this just became a much bigger deal....sorta
I will agree that the animation from this trailer doesn't seem theatrical level, in fact it feels like something I'd expect them to do for a commercial of one of their video games or something. It definitely isn't gonna look like cencoroll and that’s a pity. I really hope whatever the story for this thing is it’s worth being six flicks long, cause while I like digimon as much as the next guy I’m not sure how I’ll be able to maintain interest over that perceived span of time. A part of me wonders if this is some sort of giant gamble just to get the franchise more relevant again, it’s a bold statement I know and I don’t know a whole lot of details such as how the franchise was doing in Japan before this, but that was one of the places my mind trailed to after hearing this be six movies. This isn’t going to change the fact that I’m going to watch it as soon as it’s available but this escalation does seem a tad strange.
Also as for the Seiyu’s, while I perfectly understand long-time fans feeling sometime of way, I could personally care less. I grew up with the dub folks and the only Japanese track I heard was from Tamers. I think I may have heard a bit of the adventure Japanese track but I couldn’t tell you much of what I thought they sounded like.
FlareKnight

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
Well that's it. This whole thing is pretty well dead to me now.

The art style didn't really work for me, but I could get through that. But it's just been one additional thing after another and the straw has finally broke the camel's back in this case. The nonsense about this coming out in spring, the stupid egg clicking where they would throw up a boss if people actually went through it too quickly, turning it from an tv series into some OVA movies, and toss in the vocal recasts....enough is just enough.

What a shame. Months of hype and expectation for getting to see a continuation of the original digimon series turned into this mess.
illusory

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
1st reaction: Shit. I wanted a TV series.
2nd reaction: Maybe it will actually be better this way.
3rd reaction: It will take about 3-6 years to see the whole thing.

I had the same thoughts in the same order, haha... regardless, I'm still crazy excited because it's Digimon! Not blown away by the trailer's animation quality but I expect the movies to look better, especially since they're so far away from being released. I just really hope there isn't too much of a wait between each film...
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
That's it. Turn off the light. We're out of here.

Toei effed it up.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
1st reaction: Shit. I wanted a TV series.
2nd reaction: Maybe it will actually be better this way.
3rd reaction: It will take about 3-6 years to see the whole thing.

Ditto.
Ditto.
Anime cry
Rufifox

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
antasad wrote:

Well, Yamato's voice has always been deeper than Taichi, right?

Could not really tell since I never saw the japanese version of the show, only got by the dubbed version. Smile
KamikazeJawa

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Eh I was more of a Pokemon and Yugioh kid when I was young(I got the nickname of "The Pokemon Card Crack Dealer of ************ Court" at the age of 9) so I don't think I care as much about the changes as a lot of people in this forum who have a bigger attachment to the series.

If anything the super-long release schedule might give me time to re-watch a good chunk of the original since I only have a vague remembrance of the plot. The theme song though, that s**t never leaves you.

Digimon, digital monsters...
Goku1085

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I have mixed to positive feelings about this. As one of my favorite childhood series I got the shivers when I saw the trailer. Tha animation style, the characters and the music were all pretty amazing. The bad thing is that by the time we finish this project it will be like 4-6 years in the future like many stated at this point. Razz

Anyway, I'm a fan of all the Digimon series so far (my favorites being Adventure 01, 02 and Hunters) so I want to ask (and please to all the 02 haters out there don't strangle me for asking, just asking) since the movies are going to be a huge project, do you think that 02 characters (Daisuke, Ken etc.) will appear in later movies are supporting protagonists?

1) Are the movies canon?
2) Are the movies a direct sequel to 02 or to 01? I mean will they announce 02 to be something like GT is to Z? I hope not.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Welp, people surely feel kind of salty about this, but I don't really mind. The animation might not be the greatest thing to ever pass in front of me but I still like it, in fact, I hoped less for the Digimon, I thought it was going to be more slice of life-ish.

And I grew up with the Mexican dub so I couldn't care less whether they recast or not all the characters.

Plus, I haven't watched much Digimon since Frontiers so waiting years to me isn't a big deal.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Okay I almost fell out my chair when Taichi grabbed the goggles. Everything is right with world. The new "Butterfly" sounds pretty good so far. The part with the introductions lasted a little too long, we know who they are. Animation wise, it's looks okay so far. I'm actually a little more warm on the art style.

But, I kind of expected Toei would play it like this when we got to the spring season and nothing came out. So I was more than prepared for a date not even close to now. The thing being a six-part theatrical release makes it harder for us. Not expecting Saban to have a simlu-release for them.

Maybe someone can tell me about this. Why replace the entire group, but the Digimon all retain their original voices? It's just jarring when they come back for the PSP game, the drama cd in the blu-ray and then for the big anniversary project just replace all originals.

Goku1085 wrote:

Anyway, I'm a fan of all the Digimon series so far (my favorites being Adventure 01, 02 and Hunters) so I want to ask (and please to all the 02 haters out there don't strangle me for asking, just asking) since the movies are going to be a huge project, do you think that 02 characters (Daisuke, Ken etc.) will appear in later movies are supporting protagonists?

1) Are the movies canon?
2) Are the movies a direct sequel to 02 or to 01? I mean will they announce 02 to be something like GT is to Z? I hope not.

*Puts hands down

We're not sure yet and Toei isn't being clear on that. Taichi has the goggles again so who knows at this point. They main focus seems to be on the original kids for nostalgia, so I don't expect the Daisuke and the others to play a significant role.

Last edited by bleachj0j on Wed May 06, 2015 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Horribly disappointed tbh. If it were another studio I would probably be OK with it (just bummed about the wait) but Toei? It's gonna be ten years before we see the end of those movies, what with their tendency to push shit back and whatnot. It's gonna be like Akito de Exiled all over again, that shit was announced since friggin 2010 and five years later the 3rd chapter keeps getting postponed.* I'll probably wait until all six movies are out to watch them (which means I won't be seeing any of it before I have grandkids, probably). And it's gonna be animated horribly anyway, why not stick to the shitty bi-weekly ONA plan and get this whole thing over with.

*I know Akito is Sunrise, but Toei's gonna be the exact same trash except with terribad animation. At least Code Geass gets a decent budget
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7