• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Digimon Fans Alter Atsuya Uki's tri Character Designs to Match Original Style

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eldritcho

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Redesigns look fine enough. As a fan edit, anyway.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
These edits suck. Edits like this also sucked when people were pissy at hunter x hunter for not changing its theme and tried replacing it with unfitting death note music, but that's a different medium and format entirely.

I get people not liking the change or even just the style itself, but personally was never that sentimental about the artstyle unless we were talking about the movies.
Blue21

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
They don't look much closer to the original art IMO.

Also Mimi looks scary.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
I must say, I like the altered version better. And yeah, was also hoping for TV series rather than movies. I hope BDs will come out early next year...

Agreed. As I'm in the middle of watching Shirobako I'm trying not to be too harsh with Uki's design aesthetic, but from a personal standpoint I very much would've preferred a style closer to Nakatsuru's. My biggest issue with the kids' designs is that, if I hadn't been told they were digi-destineds, I'm not all that confident I would've known it was even them, and I think at least some of them have rather distinct looks.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
Hehaho1830 wrote:
Poor Atsuya Uki, first the Gatchaman fans (from Gatchaman Crowds), now the Digimon fans... seriously though, would you rather have the Gatchaman all in birdsuits again... or in Digimon's case, bringing back those two stupid hats (the helmet shaped one, and the huge cowboy hat... though admittedly, I have no Idea which one is Mimi without the cowboy hat)

Yes. Absolutely yes.

Or alternatively you could just do something else interesting. But really, say what you will about the designs from the original Digimon series, at least they had some sort of uniqueness and individuality. Dressing all the characters in identical school uniforms is the epitome of creative bankruptcy. There's not much you could do that would be worse.
law240

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:23 am Reply with quote
Why are people saying "oh, I like the mature look" ?
Aren't they still in high school?
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
But really, say what you will about the designs from the original Digimon series, at least they had some sort of uniqueness and individuality. Dressing all the characters in identical school uniforms is the epitome of creative bankruptcy. There's not much you could do that would be worse.

I dunno. I think this is true to contemporary Japanese kids their age, while still making it pretty clear who is who (mostly through hair style). It should also be noted, of course, that "dressing all the characters in identical school uniforms" is exactly what 02 did with the kids who were old enough to wear them, and is even an aesthetic that these fan redesigns stick to.

In fact, all the fan ones did was make the characters look happier and more "anime", and I guess it's up to personal preference if you like that more or not. The one being used in the OVA is more removed from the style of oldschool Digimon, for sure, but not nearly as far removed as some seem to claim - certainly not to the point where, say, Tai looks weird sitting next to a little yellow cartoon dinosaur.

I think the changes for this reflect Toei's goals with it pretty clearly (save the voice actor changes, but I stand by that being a non-issue except to the most obsessed). They're making a show for the fans of the original show, who are (mostly) adults, not a launchpad for selling merchandise to kids. The character designs don't use the old style because the old style was to appeal to a specific demographic that has changed; the show isn't 50 episodes long because there's no need to stretch a reunion story focusing around 8 characters who the audience is already intimately familiar with into 50 episodes (or even 25) when that sort of story can be done well in a fairly short period of time, especially when you don't need to push toys or establish and develop characters form the ground up.

That doesn't mean that it WILL be done well, but it's sort of surprising how quickly some fans are turning on this. Why so jaded?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
I dunno. I think this is true to contemporary Japanese kids their age, while still making it pretty clear who is who (mostly through hair style).

I don't really accept the premise that Japanese kids pretty much live in their school uniforms even when not in school. I think that's just an invention of lazy anime designers. But really, even if so, you're watching a show about teenagers traveling to a parallel computer world to fight digital monsters with other monsters. Who cares in the slightest what's true of contemporary Japanese kids? And yes, you can still tell them apart. But "they're not *so* generic that you literally can't even tell them apart" really isn't a very high standard. That's basically the absolute bare minimum you should expect. Maybe actually doing something interesting or at least unique for each character is not a lot to ask.

Quote:
It should also be noted, of course, that "dressing all the characters in identical school uniforms" is exactly what 02 did with the kids who were old enough to wear them, and is even an aesthetic that these fan redesigns stick to.

For starters, I'm once again not sure this is entirely true. My memory of 02 is foggy but I'm pretty sure on the couple occasions that they actually went to the digital world they changed out of their uniforms. Also though, they were merely side characters in 02. The main characters, despite wearing uniforms to school, got actual individual costumes because (duh) just having them in uniforms would have been boring.

Quote:
The character designs don't use the old style because the old style was to appeal to a specific demographic that has changed;

Which is fine. As I said, I have no great attachment to the old style. I just wish that new demographic wasn't "boring people". Change is fine but only if it's for the better, and as corny as the old designs were, the new designs are still managing to be worse somehow.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:31 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't really accept the premise that Japanese kids pretty much live in their school uniforms even when not in school. I think that's just an invention of lazy anime designers.

They spend more time in them than you might think, partly because they're in school for much more of their waking lives, between club activities (which often take up huge chunks of their evenings and weekends) and cram schools. Students are lazy too, and in my experience won't go casual unless the whole day is school-free. It's not at all uncommon to see students around town in-uniform even when they aren't in classes (I've even see them wear them to night time events like festivals). There are exceptions, of course; most aren't gonna wear them while hanging out with friends at an event unrelated to school, and definitely not while on vacation or over a holiday period or something. So while anime designers have almost certainly taken it as a design short-cut, it's a short-cut that has real-world precedence. It's no worse than having characters wear the same outfit every day - arguably less creative, but more true to life.

Quote:
But really, even if so, you're watching a show about teenagers traveling to a parallel computer world to fight digital monsters with other monsters. Who cares in the slightest what's true of contemporary Japanese kids?

Fair enough, and indeed, the original show didn't care about that (Japanese elementary school kids don't run around in gloves, pink cowboy hats, and weird helmets). Kid's shows rarely do. But a couple points: we haven't seen the Tri cast dressed down, nor have we seen them go to the Digital World. We've just seen a few teaser images. And I would argue that using uniforms (as opposed to something more outlandish) in the teasers serves a very distinct purpose, because uniforms are a big symbol of growing up in Japanese media. Showing the cast in uniform not only communicates that they've gotten older (as well as a few other mundane things - Tai, Matt, Mimi, Izzy, and Sora are all at the same school, for instance, while Joe isn't), but also perhaps that this growth might be part of the show's focus. The teaser's drawing attention to that.

Quote:
For starters, I'm once again not sure this is entirely true. My memory of 02 is foggy but I'm pretty sure on the couple occasions that they actually went to the digital world they changed out of their uniforms.

They definitely wore their uniforms to the Digital world - for reference, here's some shots of Tai and Matt and Izzy and Sora during visits to the Digital World. All official artwork and promo images show them in-uniform as well.

Now, despite the uniforms featuring heavily both in the show and outside it, it's important to note that they're often shown wearing more casual clothes throughout the series. But that just kinda makes me think that we should wait to see more than just promo materials before calling the Tri designers lazy for only dressing the older cast members in their school uniforms.

Quote:
Which is fine. As I said, I have no great attachment to the old style. I just wish that new demographic wasn't "boring people". Change is fine but only if it's for the better, and as corny as the old designs were, the new designs are still managing to be worse somehow.

At the end of it all, I wouldn't call it bad. Lazier than past iterations at worst, if they do remain in school uniform for the entire run time, but not BAD. Bad would have them unrecognizable (which they aren't - visual cues exist that make it instantly possible to tell who is who) or deformed in some way.

(Also of note - the only difference in visual distinctions given to them here versus what was given to them in official 02 art is the style itself. Otherwise, they're equally differentiated, with the exception of Mimi, who was in America and had casual clothes).

Last edited by Krotchstak on Wed May 13, 2015 4:28 am; edited 2 times in total
antasad

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 4:19 am Reply with quote
BAH, people just can't stop whining. For those of you who still arguing that Uki's character faces looks all the same, just talk to this:

Anime characters GENERALLY look the same, it is the nature of anime's style.

All your whining about "same faces" is just in your head, you actually forget that your so beloved "original style" had the same trait (or, based on your whining, problem).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:39 am Reply with quote
The chances of an English dub are going to be taking even longer than necessary.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
We've just seen a few teaser images. And I would argue that using uniforms (as opposed to something more outlandish) in the teasers serves a very distinct purpose, because uniforms are a big symbol of growing up in Japanese media. Showing the cast in uniform not only communicates that they've gotten older (as well as a few other mundane things - Tai, Matt, Mimi, Izzy, and Sora are all at the same school, for instance, while Joe isn't), but also perhaps that this growth might be part of the show's focus. The teaser's drawing attention to that.

If it's your supposition that this is just how the promos look for various reasons and the actual show will look significantly different, that's fine. That just seems like idle speculation though. If you're proven right, great. Perfectly valid to criticize in the mean time though.

Quote:
At the end of it all, I wouldn't call it bad. Lazier than past iterations at worst, if they do remain in school uniform for the entire run time, but not BAD. Bad would have them unrecognizable (which they aren't - visual cues exist that make it instantly possible to tell who is who) or deformed in some way.

This is just empty semantics, defining "bad" in an obtuse way to make it inapplicable without actually addressing the criticism. Yeah, it's not as bad as it conceivably could be. But again, that's an extremely low standard. It's also not even close to as good as it could be. And frankly it's miles closer to bad than good.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Some people care way too much about silly things.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:34 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
If it's your supposition that this is just how the promos look for various reasons and the actual show will look significantly different, that's fine. That just seems like idle speculation though ... just empty semantics, defining "bad" in an obtuse way to make it inapplicable without actually addressing the criticism. Yeah, it's not as bad as it conceivably could be. But again, that's an extremely low standard. It's also not even close to as good as it could be. And frankly it's miles closer to bad than good.

The criticims being that "putting characters in uniform is bad character design", right? If so, then I addressed that plenty - the uniforms make sense in the cultural context of the show, have precedence in the franchise, and there's likewise a precedent for a varied wardrobe for each character (or at least for casual clothes alongside uniforms).

Thus, my supposition, supported by that franchise precedent, was that there would be other character costumes - likely nothing as outlandish as the ones in Adventure, but certainly more distinct than uniforms. If that's what you mean by "look significantly different" (you are just criticizing the uniformity of the clothing, right?), then yes, that's what I'm saying, and I think there's more evidence towards that being the case than not. It's definitely less idle speculation than claiming "the characters will never take off their uniforms" is (though looking to another work by a different creative team is admittedly reaching a bit, even if that work is an extremely closely related one).

So I guess my point was, even if the design is so boring as to be bad (I think it's more neutral, with each character's "look" being intact teetering it towards "perfectly fine"), there's enough likelihood that they'll wear distinct casual clothes at some point that citing the uniforms as a sign the show is creatively bankrupt is an extremely premature supposition at this point.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
spoiler[
ikillchicken wrote:
I don't really accept the premise that Japanese kids pretty much live in their school uniforms even when not in school. I think that's just an invention of lazy anime designers.

They spend more time in them than you might think, partly because they're in school for much more of their waking lives, between club activities (which often take up huge chunks of their evenings and weekends) and cram schools. Students are lazy too, and in my experience won't go casual unless the whole day is school-free. It's not at all uncommon to see students around town in-uniform even when they aren't in classes (I've even see them wear them to night time events like festivals). There are exceptions, of course; most aren't gonna wear them while hanging out with friends at an event unrelated to school, and definitely not while on vacation or over a holiday period or something. So while anime designers have almost certainly taken it as a design short-cut, it's a short-cut that has real-world precedence. It's no worse than having characters wear the same outfit every day - arguably less creative, but more true to life.

Quote:
But really, even if so, you're watching a show about teenagers traveling to a parallel computer world to fight digital monsters with other monsters. Who cares in the slightest what's true of contemporary Japanese kids?

Fair enough, and indeed, the original show didn't care about that (Japanese elementary school kids don't run around in gloves, pink cowboy hats, and weird helmets). Kid's shows rarely do. But a couple points: we haven't seen the Tri cast dressed down, nor have we seen them go to the Digital World. We've just seen a few teaser images. And I would argue that using uniforms (as opposed to something more outlandish) in the teasers serves a very distinct purpose, because uniforms are a big symbol of growing up in Japanese media. Showing the cast in uniform not only communicates that they've gotten older (as well as a few other mundane things - Tai, Matt, Mimi, Izzy, and Sora are all at the same school, for instance, while Joe isn't), but also perhaps that this growth might be part of the show's focus. The teaser's drawing attention to that.

Quote:
For starters, I'm once again not sure this is entirely true. My memory of 02 is foggy but I'm pretty sure on the couple occasions that they actually went to the digital world they changed out of their uniforms.

They definitely wore their uniforms to the Digital world - for reference, here's some shots of Tai and Matt and Izzy and Sora during visits to the Digital World. All official artwork and promo images show them in-uniform as well.

Now, despite the uniforms featuring heavily both in the show and outside it, it's important to note that they're often shown wearing more casual clothes throughout the series. But that just kinda makes me think that we should wait to see more than just promo materials before calling the Tri designers lazy for only dressing the older cast members in their school uniforms.

Quote:

(Also of note - the only difference in visual distinctions given to them here versus what was given to them in official 02 art is the style itself. Otherwise, they're equally differentiated, with the exception of Mimi, who was in America and had casual clothes).]

I hadn't thought of it in the way you've pointed out a few things, Krotchstak. I think you have an interesting point.

I think if Uki's designs are compared not to the original TV run but to the movie (whether you viewed it as I did in the all-in-one English version or as the individual adventures in Japanese) I'd say this new style is far less of a visual leap.

I'll do my best to keep an open mind and to remember the valid arguments many other fans have made here. If nothing else these discussions prove we are all very passionate fans of the series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5