• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Digimon Fans Alter Atsuya Uki's tri Character Designs to Match Original Style

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm perfectly content with Uki's design, honestly. The only thing that's bugged me so far is overall "generic" feeling in the group pic and in this trailer. Design wise it all looked fine to me- I really like the way Uki draws hair and the lack of noodle limbs.

But overall I think it could have done better with a wider form of expression. More differences in colors, or facial expressions, would make it appeal to me more. Say what you will about the old series art, but for me there was a fun and brightness to it that I so far haven't seen in what has been released for Tri.

But I'll wait for the first movie to make a final judgement. My opinion may change once I start to see the characters move and interact with each other.
Morning Blue

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:38 pm Reply with quote
I knew Toei wasn't going to go through with Digimon Adventure tri. this season. But making them movies is just unnecessary padding out. I have no strong opinion on the character designs (except Mimi's looks like shit), but I'd rather have the more colorful art style of the original show over this. At least they got back the original voices of the Digimon themselves, I suppose.

And Toei missed the actual anniversary date by over a year, much like Sailor Moon Crystal (though not as bad as Crystal's two at least).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:
So I guess my point was, even if the design is so boring as to be bad (I think it's more neutral, with each character's "look" being intact teetering it towards "perfectly fine"), there's enough likelihood that they'll wear distinct casual clothes at some point that citing the uniforms as a sign the show is creatively bankrupt is an extremely premature supposition at this point.

I didn't suggest the whole show was creatively bankrupt. I said the character designs were. Beyond that though I guess we can agree to disagree here. Whether there's precedent or not, it simply seems speculative to me to suggest the promos don't represent how the show will look the vast majority of the time. Hence, I'm gonna go ahead and criticize what I'm seeing. If you think that's a much more likely possibility though, go ahead and suspend judgement.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:35 am Reply with quote
This new style really what's wrog with a more old style ... i still like hand drawn animation way more then all that digital stuff so ...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5