• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: KLab Addresses Love Live! App English Translation Complaints in Statement

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wetall

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
This also doesn't explain Chizuko's line, that was the main point in the article. Even if they thought that the implied lesbian talk was a problem, there was no reason to put a "boy" in the dialogue.

I can't really say anything about it if I don't have the script or the scene.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:52 am Reply with quote
Wetall wrote:
Wtv wrote:
This also doesn't explain Chizuko's line, that was the main point in the article. Even if they thought that the implied lesbian talk was a problem, there was no reason to put a "boy" in the dialogue.

The line is "女の子同士とか、わたくし全然関係ありませんのよ?" translated as:

Wetall

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Wetall wrote:
Wtv wrote:

The line is "女の子同士とか、わたくし全然関係ありませんのよ?" translated as:

That's still not conclusive. I don't know how to translate "女の子同士", because there's not enough context. Obviously, there's no mention of you being a boy in that line, but there's no evidence that she's saying you're a girl, either.

I could possibly mean "girls like you and me together" (she's referring to being with the main character)

It could also mean something along the lines of "girls being together" (as in she's referring to her being around girls in a general sense, without implying that the main character is among them)

I need to see the ENTIRE conversation in Japanese. It's hard to establish anything when I don't even know what their conversation is about.

Last edited by Wetall on Mon May 25, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
consignia

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
That is the entire conversation. When you tap on a character on the home screen, they will say a random line from a dictionary of phrases. The context usually being you've got the character's attention or have touched them physically.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I think that even with the context of the entire conversation it would seem odd for the translator to edit out same-sex references in some places while leaving them in others.

I doubt the entirety of the translation staff had malice in mind, and perhaps someone thought the references in some places were too strong or too awkward.

We have no way of knowing for sure because as far as I know the translation efforts were not explained before any controversy sparked.
Wetall

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
consignia wrote:
That is the entire conversation. When you tap on a character on the home screen, they will say a random line from a dictionary of phrases. The context usually being you've got the character's attention or have touched them physically.

If there's nothing else to work with, then it could either be an error, them taking liberties with the translation, or them deliberately attempt to water down the dialogue. There's nothing to work with.

I could easily interpret "女の子同士とか、わたくし全然関係ありませんのよ?" as "I don't care about (the idea of) girls being together." Zero yuri undertones needed--Do you really need to have yuri for girls in an all-girl cast to be together?

Is there anything about that character in question that might suggest otherwise?
Wtv

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, there isn't really any confirmation of the main character being a girl in that dialogue, although it's implied that this is the case (you touch her, and she talks that after all, most of the sentence said when you touch the character is a response about being touched).
The fact is that there isn't really any reason to put a boy in that dialogue. KLab apparently saw it as being a reference to the player, otherwise they're just really bad translators that are creating phrases from nothing.
ninjaface42069

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:24 pm Reply with quote
I think I speak for everyone when I say that the only acceptable apology would be to make it canon that all the girls are gay.
Actar

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:56 am Reply with quote
Wetall wrote:
I could easily interpret "女の子同士とか、わたくし全然関係ありませんのよ?" as "I don't care about (the idea of) girls being together." Zero yuri undertones needed--Do you really need to have yuri for girls in an all-girl cast to be together?

I agree that it's ambiguous, but for all intents and purposes, the thing is, “関係ありません” can not only be translated as “don't care about”, it can also mean “irrelevant” or “nothing to do with”. She could be saying something along the lines of “The fact that it’s between two girls is irrelevant to me”. Cleaned up, the fan translation of “I don’t mind at all even if we’re both girls.” isn’t too far a stretch, especially if she’s directing the line at the player. (The Japanese NSFW fanart that appears when you type the phrase in seems to agree...)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5