• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Group Therapy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
lemurs wrote:
Mio tripping and embarrassing herself (punctuated by the camera flash and closeup of the striped... teacup)...

I thought that it was a rice bowl. This might force me to watch the show again, not that I need much persuasion. I am 99.9% sure that we did not see her panties.

Quote:
K-On has a lot of sight gags, but very little actual fanservice.

Yes, K-On! has amazingly little fanservice, at least of the panty flash and boob bounce variety.
There is a lot more fan service for musicians. The loving detail given to those instruments is pure sex appeal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I thought that it was a rice bowl. This might force me to watch the show again, not that I need much persuasion. I am 99.9% sure that we did not see her panties.

K-On has a lot of sight gags, but very little actual fanservice.[/qu
Yes, K-On! has amazingly little fanservice, at least of the panty flash and boob bounce variety.
There is a lot more fan service for musicians. The loving detail given to those instruments is pure sex appeal.

Concur on both accounts.

Last edited by Foxaika on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eigengrau

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact: a couple of years ago, in a sort of The Illusionist/The Prestige type of coincidence, I ended up seeing both Beck (Mongolian Chop Squad) and K-On within a week of eachother. Knowing my tastes, I fully expected to love the first and to hate (or at least be irritated by) the latter. Turns out that I ended up being deeply disappointed by Beck and absolutely falling in love with K-On (even though Beck definitely wins in the soundtrack department).

A big part is simply the characters, or maybe not so much the characters in and of themselves, but how they are brought to life. It's almost the antithesis to the kind of Yoshiyuki Tomino-style characterisation used in a lot of anime. Characters in shows like Zeta Gundam or - God forbid! - Brain Powerd, have these complex psychological profiles, relations and backstories, but they are communicated to the viewer in a terrible, unnatural way, by having them spout reams of monologue at the slightest provocation, as if they are simply reading from their profile sheet.

By comparison K-On's characters are relatively shallow, but so much of what passes between them is expressed in body language (courtesy of some really great character animation by KyoAni) and the flow of their dialogue has this natural rythm of its own to it, that I felt like I was finally watching some real, breathing people, actually interacting like longtime friends do, instead of constructs for the necessity of the plot. Yes, I am actually defending the K-On girls as one of the most convincing kinds of characterization in tv anime I have seen in recent years.

And as far as the "cute girls moe" things go, I would probably love the show just as much if it starred five feisty octogenarians (male or female) starting a band in their retirement home. Probably even more.

Last edited by Eigengrau on Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I've always thought it strange that a random bunch of high school girls from Japan should own such rare and sought-after guitars. I know their parents are well-off, but come on.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Second, it was necessary for that to happen in order to keep Mio's stage fright and general shyness intact, because that is an integral part of her character, and fodder for many gags.
If she had not accidentally flashed the audience she would have gained too much confidence.

Yeah, and we wouldn't want the perfect little waifu to gain confidence or anything, lest she scare away the rabid otaku audience!
lemurs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

Ah, you're right! It was a rice bowl. But I'm certain there's no actual panties seen because the alternative is funnier and Mio's reaction is the real point of the scene in the anime version.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I've always thought it strange that a random bunch of high school girls from Japan should own such rare and sought-after guitars. I know their parents are well-off, but come on.

Haha, that is true. No one said it had to be realistic I suppose. Kakifly does love his instruments.

Top Gun wrote:
Yeah, and we wouldn't want the perfect little waifu to gain confidence or anything, lest she scare away the rabid otaku audience!

It'd be weird for her to get so much confidence that early on, the show was just getting started. Plus, she gets her own fan club out of it. Laughing
kevinx59

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Well Mugi's family owning music stores does account for Yui's and Mugi's but yeah, Epiphones and Squires would make a bit more sense for high schoolers. Still, K-On is one of my favorite anime series of all time. I already have season 1 on DVD and one of the blu rays though. This blu ray would match the rest of my K-On collection, but I'm not picky enough about video quality to double dip right now. I highly recommend the show though. Sound Euphonium as well, although I still find K-On more enjoyable.

Oh, and seeing Samurai Bride amid all the classic anime on the shelves was surprising.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Nice shelves, Joseph. Always nice to see another person from the Bay Area on this site.

I'm impressed you've been able to stick with Fanime for so long. I used to attend them faithfully until the 2012 debacle, and then switched to Animazement, way across country.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
X really brings back memories. It was one of a few series that made me so hooked into anime/manga. I will consider to buy it just for the sake of nostalgia.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
Just a correction.

"First up, a look at beautiful bishonen with Gabriella's review of Kamigami no Asoba."

Should be "Kamigami no Asobi."

Asoba isn't a word. ^^;
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
K-On! is my most frequently viewed tired show. If I feel like watching something but I'm tired, I pop in 1, 2 or the movie. Instant entertainment, from the music to the comedy to the comedy about music. And with season 2's "Rice is a Side Dish", music about comedy. Just listening to Yui break down her song is hilarious.

Even in that first episode, that piece the pick up band plays just slays me as well as Yui's perfect topper, absolutely correct but no basis for comparison. And the castanets, name dropping guitarist who start with "J" "j"ust because, I do love this series.

Anime elitism is "You must like Bebop, you will like Evangelion and you must hate K-On! Cause that is true anime!" which kept me from this franchise for too long. Down with that kind of thinking and like what you like, I say... as long as I'm allowed to say I don't like Bebop and I'm not entertained by Evangelion. Keep me neck deep in actual comedy and I'm happy.

"You took it too far, Sayako."
"Join our club, we have cookies!"
"That whole flashback was a lie!"
"She's Hendrixing!" "My Guita!"
"They're domesticating here?!"
Visual gags of famous guitar players with Azusa's hairstyle.
Mio's songs and especially her titles
To themselves:
"She looks like respectable teacher."
"I wonder how she'd look in kitty ears?"

I have to differ about their live performance episodes though; The only thing those episodes do is give material to complainers about how the show should be rather than force them to accept the real 95% for what it is; It's high school comedy as a good time; No heartbreak, no drama. For me, the only live performance that keeps in the show's nature is the one they do in their own homeroom in the second season; Just rockin when they wantin, that's all.

Last edited by Animegomaniac on Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:50 am Reply with quote
I think the review for Kamigami no Asobi kind of took it more seriously than the series did itself. The thing I liked most about it was that it seemed like it was fully aware of all the tropes and was having a blast with them. Thoth's epic wall-slams and the Where's Anubis game each episode were always something to look forward to, and I enjoyed looking up the mythology behind all the names, and seeing how they mangled some of the backstories. Smile Plus the heroine wasn't a doormat the way they usually are in these things.

I've never been the least bit motivated to buy any of the reverse-harem or otome game-based anime I've seen, but I've been waiting for this one to come out since the license announcement. It was just a lot of silly fun to watch, and the eye candy didn't hurt either. I'd love it if it got another season.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:00 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Nice to see the return of the Fairy Tail Dub, I've listen to this batch and it's really good.

it wasnt a surprise that the 2014 series got licensed and dubbed.

though what's insane is that Adult Swim didn't get the broadcast license cause it would have been a perfect chance to get the 2014 version instead of doing like with shippuden and start all the way back from ep 1. unfortunately they didn't even do that which sucks cause they cant keep showing over repeat eps of Attack of Titan again until season two shows up.

Bamboo Dong wrote:
The Fate/ universe is pretty expansive and it can be daunting to those unfamiliar with the franchise, but Nick does a great job of introducing people to UBW with his streaming review.

Not quite. while the fate universe is big, the only parts of the franchise that is expansive is the stay night series and its prequel type zero and sequel hollow ataraxia. though mainly thanks to video game spinoffs like realta nua and the fate extra ccc .

also the reason why its daunting for those unfamiliar with the franchise is that it original source materials for stay night , type zero and hollow ataraxia are based off of their Visual Novels which are 18+ ero VN so it make understanding the series very complicated. not to mention that stay night have three routes and all according to type moon are original source which there lies the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:47 am Reply with quote
Foxaika wrote:
I took it as meaning that it's the benchmark for the kind of show it is. I suppose that's subjective as well, but that's how I interpreted it.

Edit: Maybe a better way to put it is "if you're going to watch this kind of show, this is the one to watch".

Even if that was the writer's intentions, and they identify it as a CGDCT show, I still wouldn't say you should watch it if you are going to check out that kind of show.

Just personal preference. I tried K-On, wasn't for me. So, I am one that doesn't understand why it was so popular, as having not established any sort of connection to the show, my viewpoint would be very different to those that found something they enjoyed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4