• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Concrete Revolutio (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKS-Jack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:32 am Reply with quote
This is seriously becoming anime's Justice League Unlimited.

Not in the sense that we're seeing a tour de force presentation of established heroes, but that a universe of heroes is being used as allegory for things occurring in reality.

Heck, even without established characters to call upon, it's better than JLU really. This series stays focused on the points it's trying to convey in each episode, while adding elements little by little that are meant to weave the greater tapestry of the over-arcing story.

JLU OTOH had more than a few filler episodes. There were also character pieces that, while not bad, didn't really work into the broader message. CR has consistently managed both at once.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

I think this might be one of the best episodes.

It was pretty clear earlier on that Earth-chan was Astro Boy, but through the episode I thought that there was also some similarities to Superman. I might not be entirely knowledgeable of Astro Boy, but things like flying around the planet helping people with all the various problems as an unstoppable sign of justice, also solar powered, it felt really Superman like. Kind of added to what Earth-chan represents which is a kind of blind idea of justice, something that will sway the public's opinion. There kept being the interesting topic of if Earth-chan is the good side, whether she always joins the good side, or if what she chooses then gets decided as the right thing. Along with the fact showing that she herself can be wrong, and it looked like she had to start thinking.

The story actually makes me think quite a bit of The Dark Knight Returns, check out the cartoon movies if you have not yet. It in particular has Superman in the second one which brings up some rather interesting notions, and what such a supposed symbol of what is right can mean in terms of imperfect human politics. Talks of the super's fighting the government's wars also brings to mind of Watchmen, all these interesting ways to look at political issues through using super heroes as a medium.

Probably the biggest thing to take from the episode was the not to decide what is right or wrong just on single images that might be out of context of everything else.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The story actually makes me think quite a bit of The Dark Knight Returns, check out the cartoon movies if you have not yet. It in particular has Superman in the second one which brings up some rather interesting notions, and what such a supposed symbol of what is right can mean in terms of imperfect human politics.

Bad example. Frank Miller has no idea how to write Superman. He only uses Supes to make Batman look better.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Ah, BL Clan, Eye of Lucifer, etc...

And not to mention, Jirou's past didn't look so pleasant either. This show maintains a colorful presence with the emphasis on Jirou and his connection with the Rainbow Knight. Action was okay, felt a bit unorthodox this week though but then again, it has been that way for awhile now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
episode eight

It looks like they did successfully resurrect Earth-chan (and give her a shiny new outfit, to boot).

It was nice to see another glimpse in to the strange, hidden politics between Daishi and the others of his kind (this time, Emi didn't even seem to be in on it), especially since their political maneuvering is responsible for a lot already and is probably the root of whatever disagreement lead to Jiro leaving the agency. At least, that's my bet right now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

It was pretty easy twist to see that the BL squad were the ones doing the stealing, but I think it expected the audience to have enough genre savvy to easily see it coming. I would say in general the show has been a lot like that in using classic story techniques with the understanding that the audience can follow it fairly well.

So what was this episode about? Heroes cannot be perfect, and you should be careful with putting them on pedestals? Another look at good and bad from the innocent child perspective? If I had to guess Rainbow knight was going against what he foresaw of the government planning to make super humans their soldiers to keep people in control. Although we did hear that he was using the kids as ransom, that does not necessarily mean he was wanting money, but that he might have made some demand that he thought would help them. But really maybe it was not the best way to do things as he became a villain to these kids.

That was kind of something particular in the episode, the difference of the generations between Jiro and the BL kids. To Jiro the Rainbow knight was a good symbol, even if it was corrupted later with a moral grey. To the younger generation it was most of what they knew was this new version, it means something different. But at the same time rather than straight out condemning it the younger generation want to know more, know the truth, and they cannot fully trust the older generation to help them with that, so what they can actually do is limited.

But what we really see is that the top generation, the old government men in suits, are really pulling the strings and making an enemy to keep the rest in control. And as we see even the ones who think they can fight for good even if against the government, can eventually be pulled into its clutches.
maoyen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:43 am Reply with quote
Looks like Bones finally put up an official timeline: http://concreterevolutio.com/special/?page=chronological
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 9:

I think I understand a bit of Jiro's frustrations this episode about the immortal family. But then again, I think the latter wanted to bear their own responsibilities. Being immortal really is a power that I find hard to understand as well since they'll be the first and last to remain by this series' logic and Jiro's theory.

I still find it rather hard to get used with the action and fighting in this episode/series. The mecha stuff reminds me two Transformers fighting...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:24 pm Reply with quote
episode nine

That family was really knowledgeable. It makes me suspect that they know the secret to their own immortality. Especially since they seemed informed beyond what you might expect from people who had simply been alive for a long time (how long not exactly being clear).

Emi teasing Kikko about her reproductive knowledge was a fun way to show how Kikko was getting increasingly connected to the ways of normal humans.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Considering the son knew the real origin of humanity, the family must have been around since the very beginning.

When I first saw the truck with the Optimus Prime colour scheme I was all "That thing better turn into a robot!" I wasn't disappointed.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:35 am Reply with quote
I guess the only thing I didn't get was why they were all frozen at different ages. They didn't seem to have the power to shapeshift, so it wasn't just for cover. And I suppose arising fully formed from the primordial ooze opens a whole nother can of worms...

Oh, and the other thing I didn't get was why the Americans gunned him down the moment he stepped out of the hatch unarmed.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Oh, and the other thing I didn't get was why the Americans gunned him down the moment he stepped out of the hatch unarmed.

You see the butt of a gun in front of him when he's laying in the sand, so he was armed.

Plus, war never changes and all that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:26 am Reply with quote
Come on it is pretty obvious how they were immortal, Bad Wolf tried to revive them and messed up, making them a fixed point. Okay, I had Doctor Who on my mind while watching this episode, which maybe started when the time guy said he met them before.

While I think it was of one note that they did not want the bureau to bug them, they just wanted to be together, I also think Jirou did not understand either. What did he think when they decided to go towards what could be their death? Maybe it would even be something they would want if it was possible, otherwise they are happy just being by themselves. But I also thought even further that Jirou was kind of ignorant of the situation, the apparent experiments aside, a Government agency is not a cut out bad thing for something like that. Couldn't they have helped with how they felt about census'. I imagine it would kind of be really difficult to be stuck as a baby forever, although that also makes me think of opinions of certain disabled people topics.

Maybe as a topic it was just about the idea that it is in general ignorant to think you would know what many people want or need. Even those petitioning against what the people who might be a threat to them have no idea. I also thought that it was an interesting touch that I thought it weird that Kikko was staying around in a telephone box, until I remembered that it would actually be required if she wanted to stay on a phone. So strange when you see how current technology changes how we think about things.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
This show is a bit confusing at times tbh, especially with time travel themes involved this week. At least Jaguar gets some spotlight, that's something exciting to see.

And also, I find the technology of this series to be quite fascinating despite how strange it can be at times.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:34 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
This show is a bit confusing at times tbh, especially with time travel themes involved this week. At least Jaguar gets some spotlight, that's something exciting to see.

And also, I find the technology of this series to be quite fascinating despite how strange it can be at times.

Is confusing? I don't think the time travel was really a problem, although now we know that some of the bureau's origins is from time travel, or the idea of creating a brighter future.

We could totally getting into trying to understand how the time travel works. I was already thinking that it was odd under his rules of time that his past self could be changed by events that would make him unlikely to have become his current self as it is. So he should have disappeared the moment he changed events separate to what he already experienced. Unless my personal theory of using technology to alter memories.

Doctor Who was on my mind again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9