• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What is your preferred series length?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:11 am Reply with quote
[Edit]Deleted spam.

Last edited by #839747 on Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
kookykonata

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
As you said, it really depends on the anime for me. Some shows I wish would be much longer, like Watamote, but others, such as Bleach, Gintama, etc., I want to be shorter so it could be less intimidating.

I would say that my preferred anime series length is between 12 and 26 episodes. That way most series' are able to pull off a compelling storyline and not require such a commitment.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:33 pm Reply with quote
My preferred range is however many episodes it takes to tell the story the creators set out to tell. I don't want filler, where they pad it out, and I don't want things to be cut out and shortened because they don't have enough time.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
If you tell me that a show is 12 episodes, I'll watch it regardless of quality. I think 11-13 episodes is my preferred length for now, though I've been known to well exceed that.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:38 am Reply with quote
I'm comfortable with anime shows that are around 13 to 52 episodes, but I have no problem watching those lasting 100+ episodes. However, if episode count of a show is more than 200, I feel less compelled to watch it, unless I really like the artwork and characters of that show.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:03 am Reply with quote
It's difficult to say. I can take weeks to finish a short anime like Serial Experiments Lain (which I loved, but could only enjoy in small doses) and a Monogatari series (which I find boring). However, I can watch FMAB in a mere few days, and can marathon Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and Hunter x Hunter in the span of a week. I recall finishing the Heaven's Arena arc in the same 14 hour sitting that I started Hunter x Hunter in.

Really, a shounen anime, when good, can be easy to marathon, while a seinen or more complex anime can be somewhat difficult to consume even in small doses. There are exceptions to this, as I finished Psycho Pass and Fate/Zero in about two days, while marathoning all of Princess Tutu in a single sitting.

Oddly enough, I find that the shorter an anime is, in general, the more I want to take breaks with it. Maybe it's just me. Heck, I had to watch Pom Poko over the span of two days because the movie went a bit slow for me. I might just be too hard to please these days.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
I don't really have an episode range that I prefer. I can be just as happy watching a 200+ episode show as I am watching a 12 episode show. There are some exceptions, of course, but that generally depends on the show.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:03 am Reply with quote
12-26 but if the show is interesting I'd watch it regardless of length.
Night fox

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote
It depends on the nature of the show. For dark and depressing stuff like Lain, Madoka and Elfen Lied, I prefer 12-25 episodes. If these kind of series were 50 eps long, I'd need to see a shrink afterwards to recover. Anime dazed

For lighter dramas like GTO, Maria-sama and Clannad, 25-50 eps usually does the trick. The show is long enough to introduce and follow several characters over a longer period of time, without becoming repetitive and boring.

And, finally, for light shounen action such as Hunter x Hunter, Naruto and Bleach, I don't really mind if the show exceeds 100 episodes, even though these kind of series tend to include filler arcs. Simply put, there can never be too many Bankai-, Sharingan-, or Nen-users in shows like that. Wink
Gatherum

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
My preferred range is however many episodes it takes to tell the story the creators set out to tell. I don't want filler, where they pad it out, and I don't want things to be cut out and shortened because they don't have enough time.

Pretty much this. I've seen a fairly equal amount of quality and destitute shows of mny lengths. Runtime is only important, so long as it tells the story it aims to tell and satisfies by the end.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:05 pm Reply with quote
It depends on the time it takes to do the story justice and flesh out the characters. I don't mind shows of any length provided there's enough material to keep it interesting for longer lengths. I also don't mind filler episodes as long as they do something to help progress the characters or relationships. Even if it's not canon material if it helps progress things I don't mind it.

However, I will only take on a few series on longer lengths at any given time. I can watch multiple 24 and below episode shows. They don't take as much time so I'll watch more of those at once. Once you start getting into the 50 episode range, and especially 100+ range I only watch like 2-3 o each at any given time. They require such a time investment I don't want to get into too many at once and have no time for anything else.

I'll sometimes watch a large chunk, say 50 episodes, of one long show (Bleach) and then switch to another (Gintama) and do the same. That way I get a nice big chunk of episodes watched and don't feel bad switching to another. I find for 100+ shows this is better for me as it keeps the show more fresh and I get bored far less this way. It doesn't feel like I am forcing myself to watch the show just to finish it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1