• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fire Emblem Fates' Western Release Won't Include Japanese Audio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:13 am Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:
Just wait for an unofficial undub and uncensored patch for the game. Laughing

This is 3DS so those things might be difficult to implement, at least for the average user with an unmodified handheld. And a fully working emulator is still 4 or 5 years away(admittedly, that will wash away these issues. But the wait is long...)
Haterater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Makes me wonder. Licensing issues? Space problems? NoA not really doing dual audio(8-4 did the localizing for Awakening), or perhaps this version isn't compatible for the Japanese VA use? Like with how the new way "skinship" is and who knows what.

Quote:
If getting an accurate uncensored localization isn't important to you, that fine. It is important to others and there's no reason to act like a consumer is under some obligation to purchase a product they no longer want.

Works both ways as well. Prefer English dubs and a more localization flavor texts than one that is too accurate and dull.
Guile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Makes me wonder. Licensing issues? Space problems? NoA not really doing dual audio(8-4 did the localizing for Awakening), or perhaps this version isn't compatible for the Japanese VA use? Like with how the new way "skinship" is and who knows what.

This game is localized by Treehouse who is generally considered a subpar localization team. But the comment on the cut content may be valid too. Sort of like how you cant put the Japanese audio over an edited 4kids or Funimation dub because it wouldn't lineup with the visuals. Another possibility is the English localization apparently changed a lot of character personalities and overall tone of the game. So the Japanese voices might not fit. There are a lot more Henrys this time around it seems
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:56 am Reply with quote
NoA being NoA.
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
Wow, this game's localization is one disappointment after another, and worse yet, NoA refuses to listen to their fans wishes. In the country i'm at, 3DS games are really expensive, so I was thinking of getting the 3-in-one version as a birthday present for myself, but after all this i'm seriously considering buying the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game instead. Which is a shame, since i've really liked Awakening and enjoyed Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn on my childhood days.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:22 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:

Probably has to do with licensing as the song "Lost in Thoughts All Alone" is also the debut single of Azura's Japanese singing voice. Cutting out songs due to licensing issues is nothing new to localization as music rights have historically been a pain in the ass. The character Hayato also has VALSHE voicing him so that probably opened up a whole other can of worms. As for 8-4, keep in mind they also did the Xenoblade X localization which also doesn't have dual audio.

Also, didn't we JUST HAVE an article about this? Getting redundant here guys.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:

Quote:
If getting an accurate uncensored localization isn't important to you, that fine. It is important to others and there's no reason to act like a consumer is under some obligation to purchase a product they no longer want.

Works both ways as well. Prefer English dubs and a more localization flavor texts than one that is too accurate and dull.

Space issue is possible, since the Collector's Edition itself is one cartridge that houses three games, which is still a lot regardless of how many chapters are the same. I don't know how much space would be left after that, however. Then again, people would say that the Japanese voice-over could just be additional DLC...
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
The most important thing to me is this- is it still Fire Emblem? Is the game still fun? Did they keep the battle system and support system? Is the story the same? As of now the answer to all 4 of these questions is yes.

So far I can only remember them censoring two things- the supposed "gay conversion" support and the face petting. Both were just modified, not entirely removed. Hilariously enough, way before these announcements there were people claiming they were going to boycott the game because it had both features.

Then we have no Japanese audio, which isn't a problem for me. I play all my games in English anyway. Are you allowed to be disappointed and not get the game? Yes, of course. Preference is preference.

With this said, I think it's pretty silly to completely reject a game because of it. You can just mute the voices or the audio all together. Or maybe even give it a chance, since listening to Englsih audio won't kill you.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:10 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
The most important thing to me is this- is it still Fire Emblem? Is the game still fun? Did they keep the battle system and support system? Is the story the same? As of now the answer to all 4 of these questions is yes.

So far I can only remember them censoring two things- the supposed "gay conversion" support and the face petting. Both were just modified, not entirely removed. Hilariously enough, way before these announcements there were people claiming they were going to boycott the game because it had both features.

Then we have no Japanese audio, which isn't a problem for me. I play all my games in English anyway. Are you allowed to be disappointed and not get the game? Yes, of course. Preference is preference.

With this said, I think it's pretty silly to completely reject a game because of it. You can just mute the voices or the audio all together. Or maybe even give it a chance, since listening to Englsih audio won't kill you.

Or we could import the Japanese version. Well gotta work on my kanjis before.
Zilan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Well this is now a pass for me. Here's hoping they don't fudge up Bravely Second.
Shin ATproof

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:22 pm Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
While I don't like the fact that the game is divided into three parts you have to buy separately, I understand that the censorship was done to make it less offensive to players who may feel uncomfortable if it were left intact. Secondly, sometimes it is difficult to include the Japanese voices in video games because the VAs are under a contract that may not allow their voices to be used in localizations outside of Japan. Third, despite these obvious facts, people will still complain and pitch a fit. Rolling Eyes Also, English dub or original Japanese dub is a matter of preferences. None is superior over the other and even if given a try, those who prefer Japanese voices will still be stubborn and say that the English voices are tehsux.

About the only legitimate point you've made is that international licensing of voice work is expensive and a reason for the exclusion of dual-audio.

The argument that taking out an element of the gameplay because it may offend someone is asinine and if one is making the argument it's done to make the game more inclusive to more gamers then Nintendo should have also considered footing the bill to appease people that want to hear the Japanese audio in a Japanese game just as much as appeasing the hypothetical easily offended gamer that can't handle a mini-game where you can touch/kiss your waifu/husbando.

Taking out features that are in the Japanese version, not including audio options for players and region locking the game preventing people from going with the alternative is one way of many in how a developer/publisher kills a franchise in a region.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Or we could import the Japanese version. Well gotta work on my kanjis before.

If people REALLY want to hear and experience Japanese, for those that are so inclined perhaps they should meet the experience half way by learning the language in place of expecting someone else to do the busy work.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Shin ATproof wrote:
yappers4 wrote:
While I don't like the fact that the game is divided into three parts you have to buy separately, I understand that the censorship was done to make it less offensive to players who may feel uncomfortable if it were left intact. Secondly, sometimes it is difficult to include the Japanese voices in video games because the VAs are under a contract that may not allow their voices to be used in localizations outside of Japan. Third, despite these obvious facts, people will still complain and pitch a fit. Rolling Eyes Also, English dub or original Japanese dub is a matter of preferences. None is superior over the other and even if given a try, those who prefer Japanese voices will still be stubborn and say that the English voices are tehsux.

About the only legitimate point you've made is that international licensing of voice work is expensive and a reason for the exclusion of dual-audio.

The argument that taking out an element of the gameplay because it may offend someone is asinine and if one is making the argument it's done to make the game more inclusive to more gamers then Nintendo should have also considered footing the bill to appease people that want to hear the Japanese audio in a Japanese game just as much as appeasing the hypothetical easily offended gamer that can't handle a mini-game where you can touch/kiss your waifu/husbando.

Taking out features that are in the Japanese version, not including audio options for players and region locking the game preventing people from going with the alternative is one way of many in how a developer/publisher kills a franchise in a region.

By your logic, Atlus has been trying to kill off Persona since the first game. Rolling Eyes Sure is a shame how badly that series has done, never having a language track besides English and being one of the most popular JRPGs.

Let's just call it what it is: the otaku are mad they can't pet their waifu and can't admit it's a feature that's not desireable beyond their little clique. There are more people who aren't otaku and want to play FE than otaku, after all.

This is the part someone quote's Dictionary.com's definition of "otaku".

In the meantime, let's hear about how Nintendo is trying to kill off Zelda by not letting you remove Link's hat! Laughing
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:58 pm Reply with quote
While it really is disheartening that the Japanese audio won't be included in the Western version of Fire Emblem Fates (Fire Emblem Awakening had dual audio), I can't fault Nintendo of America for that, since it's probably out of their hands. The Japanese seiyuu's talent agencies are notorious for hindering international video game companies with perplexing contracts concerning their voices and charging them with absurd licensing fees. There are even some cases in which a Japanese talent agency has refused to allow a voice of a certain seiyuu from ever being featured in an international debut of a game, in which the problem becomes one that is beyond the publisher's control.

With all this being said, that still doesn't get NoA and Treehouse off the hook for how terribly they handled the Western debut of Fates in the case of their censoring of it.
ferrumorum

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:00 pm Reply with quote
When people talk about how the changes aren't good for "hardcore" fans I question if they've even played games prior to Awakening.

No Japanese dub? None of the GBA and earlier games even had voice acting to begin with. You can also just turn the voices off.

No petting game? Many people on the subreddit didn't even like this feature when it was announced. Fear of Fire Emblem being turned into Waifu Emblem.

The split of the game is probably the only reasonable complaint for "hardcore" fans but if you look at the length of the game it's quite reasonable.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8