• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cross Ange Anime Gets English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
I could barely contain my rage after watching the first Ep, and people are actually happy that its getting a Dub?

God I think I'm going to be sick.

Getting sick because different people like different things doesn't sound very healthy.
Mertal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:47 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
Mertal wrote:
I could barely contain my rage after watching the first Ep, and people are actually happy that its getting a Dub?

Getting sick because different people like different things doesn't sound very healthy.

Yeeaaa! Lets give blatant Hard Rape in an Anime a pass because its "different".

Dont get me wrong, I love anime and Manga and would LOVE to see more of it Dubbed and brought into the US.

Saying that though, If they don't massively edit this show when they Dub it, then the repercussions could be quite detrimental for the future import of Anime and manga into the US.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Must be profitable somewhere down the line seems like the very opposite of supply and demand.

or a rigged dub roulette board landed on Cross Agne during some drug fueled outing. Good Luck.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
...If they don't massively edit this show when they Dub it, then the repercussions could be quite detrimental for the future import of Anime and manga into the US.

Well, then that will lead to Cross Ange not selling well, since it's being slated for home video, not Toonami. Very few people, if any, in the anime community would want to buy a niche show that has been censored.
Mertal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Mertal wrote:
...If they don't massively edit this show when they Dub it, then the repercussions could be quite detrimental for the future import of Anime and manga into the US.

Well, then that will lead to Cross Ange not selling well, since it's being slated for home video, not Toonami. Very few people, if any, in the anime community would want to buy a niche show that has been censored.

Thats why IMO they shouldn't touch this show with a ten... no.. twenty foot pole.

It's not worth it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
If they don't massively edit this show when they Dub it, then the repercussions could be quite detrimental for the future import of Anime and manga into the US.

I don't think this will have any sort of negative impact on the anime community or industry in the US. Literally none at all.
macattack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Mertal wrote:
If they don't massively edit this show when they Dub it, then the repercussions could be quite detrimental for the future import of Anime and manga into the US.

I don't think this will have any sort of negative impact on the anime community or industry in the US. Literally none at all.

If these types of shows had a negative impact on the US anime community or industry, Highschool DxD would have been the show
to do it.

Cross Ange is just another fanservice-y action show after the shock tactics employed in the first episode. That's really all it is.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:
Mertal wrote:

Dont get me wrong, I love anime and Manga and would LOVE to see more of it Dubbed and brought into the US.

Saying that though, If they don't massively edit this show when they Dub it, then the repercussions could be quite detrimental for the future import of Anime and manga into the US.

If anything I thought it was more of a spoiler[women's prison esque-strip down-cavity search type thing?]
Mertal

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Mertal wrote:

If these types of shows had a negative impact on the US anime community or industry, High school DxD would have been the show
to do it.

Cross Ange is just another fanservice-y action show after the shock tactics employed in the first episode. That's really all it is.

There is a definite difference between regular fan-service and Hard Sexual Assault (implied or explicit). Any argument that tries to equate them in any way simply will not wash.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:
There is a definite difference between regular fan-service and Hard Sexual Assault (implied or explicit). Any argument that tries to equate them in any way simply will not wash.

Let's look at Perfect Blue. Now, that came over in the late 1990's. They dubbed it. You would think, based on its subject matter, that it would end up causing a great deal of damage in the international world but it was actually received well, and became a influential film.

Now, I am not saying Cross Ange is going to be influential in any way. But how would you argue a case like Perfect Blue?
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
Mertal wrote:

. . .If they don't massively edit this show when they Dub it, then the repercussions could be quite detrimental for the future import of Anime and manga into the US.

As others have pointed out, this title won't create even the slightest ripple. Just like Ninja Scroll and Wicked City (two anime movies which have clear sexual assault in them) didn't create the slightest ripples in their days; in fact, they were actually quite successful within fandom, and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to call NS in particular a gateway title. CA didn't do anything worse than either of them.

Now, does it have content in it that some will find strongly objectionable? Oh, absolutely; in fact, I'd be a little careful about who I recommend it to. It is a mean story about mean, abusive, crass people. But it does have a real story and some ultimately great character development and growth does come out of it - more so, I'd say, than probably 95% of the other anime series to come out in the past year and a half.

By this point I think Sentai knows what it's doing on decisions to dub titles. That they announced this dub at all means that they obviously have numbers indicating that it was successful enough to warrant it and don't see it being a problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:41 am Reply with quote
Awesome.
Black Thunder 6

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:02 am Reply with quote
People still don't know that shows get on Toonami due to huge fanfare (Akame ga Kill, Sword Art Online, DBZ Kai, etc.) or because DeMarco likes them (Parasyte, Michiko to Hatchin, One Piece) or both (AoT, Kill la Kill) and last time I checked Cross Ange has neither, just a trashy poor done show liked by vocal try-hards wanting to speak out amongst the "controversy". If that dumb article of the first episode PV didn't spread most everyone would have written it off, not like you would have missed anything.

Key wrote:
Mertal wrote:

. . .If they don't massively edit this show when they Dub it, then the repercussions could be quite detrimental for the future import of Anime and manga into the US.

As others have pointed out, this title won't create even the slightest ripple. Just like Ninja Scroll and Wicked City (two anime movies which have clear sexual assault in them) didn't create the slightest ripples in their days; in fact, they were actually quite successful within fandom, and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to call NS in particular a gateway title. CA didn't do anything worse than either of them.

Now, does it have content in it that some will find strongly objectionable? Oh, absolutely; in fact, I'd be a little careful about who I recommend it to. It is a mean story about mean, abusive, crass people. But it does have a real story and some ultimately great character development and growth does come out of it - more so, I'd say, than probably 95% of the other anime series to come out in the past year and a half.

By this point I think Sentai knows what it's doing on decisions to dub titles. That they announced this dub at all means that they obviously have numbers indicating that it was successful enough to warrant it and don't see it being a problem.
Not sure what's funnier? This shows failed attempt at being an exciting or well done mecha anime or even a trashy one or the people who spout garbage like this? But its like people say person's trash is another person's treasure Rolling Eyes
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:13 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Mertal wrote:

@ Mertal :
The industry survived Kawajiri's films, Urutsukidoji and a host of other ultra violent animes with no problem at all. Heck Violence Jack was recently published by Discotek again. Where are the pitchforks ? Laughing
Cross Ange is mild in the great scheme of things. It's as much politically correct as Donald Trump is. It isn't bland, joy joy and everybody loves everyone else fare. It's anime like it used to be. Edgy, sexy, uncaring about political correctness or not offending specific demographics.
The doctor hasn't prescribed you have to love it. Dont' like it ? Good, go immerse yourself in one of the hundreds of moe-high-school-me-toos dramas. Nothing is lost man. Nothing is lost.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
At least we are guaranteed an uncensored home video release, right?

Hate to break it to you, but you're better off with the censored version. When the censoring is gone, you can see their barbie and ken bodies which just look incredibly awful. Looks way better with the steam and what not hiding them. You can google comparison shots from the uncensored bluray if you want to see what I'm talking about.

DmonHiro wrote:
Cross Ange was so much fun to watch, I'm not even kidding. It's the perfect popcorn-anime. I had so much fun talking o people about each episode. And was it ever a crazy ride. It's like when someone tells a really boring story and then SUDDENLY DRAGONS AND NINJAS!!!

9/10 for this show, for the pure, unapologetic fun it is. If you want to be entertained, you watch Cross Ange.

I fully agree. Fun and crazy ride.

wonderwomanhero wrote:
Yoko Takahashi did the second opening, and I really liked it. Other than the fact that the debut of this anime caused one of the biggest controversies (for obvious reasons) I haven't gotten the chance to watch the rest of it. spoiler[Do the women get objectified/raped/assaulted? I don't want it to be upsetting.]

Women do get spoiler[objectified and sexually assaulted]. However, the exact same thing is done to male characters. So really, the show just likes to shit on pretty much everyone though the female characters far out number the male ones.

wonderwomanhero wrote:
If anything I thought it was more of a spoiler[women's prison esque-strip down-cavity search type thing?]

There is no clear spoiler[rape] at all in the series, period. Though there were a couple / several instances of spoiler[attempted rapes], not in episode 1 though. The most likely thing happening in episode 1 after the fact is actually spoiler[her being implanted with something. If you've seen them piloting, they have a tail that plugs into them which seems equivalent to how the pilots in the new gundam series plug into their suits.]

Key wrote:
But it does have a real story and some ultimately great character development and growth does come out of it - more so, I'd say, than probably 95% of the other anime series to come out in the past year and a half.

Yeah, and I wasn't really expecting that from the first handful of episodes. Ange's character development/growth is definitely on the high end for recent series.

DuelGundam2099 wrote:
Lets just hope they correct Crunchyroll's translation error from episode 23.

Guessing you won't be back to see this, but what translation error?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5