• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
hsapin wrote:
Really glad you finally stopped complaining about the pacing, trying to condense the previous episodes wouldn't have really made any sense from a pacing standpoint, we would have ended up with something far more awkward as a result.

I´m with the episode reviewer on this one. Either the pacing is slow, or the adaptation decisions make for episodes that are 1st half talking and 2nd half action. This is the episode I think has a better sense of pace. Look, I like when the context behind an action scene is more important than the action scene itself, but there has been too much talking because they want to maintain fidelity to the manga.

Why couldn´t they make the arc more alive, with either more screentime to some characters, or more games? That would make the arc more fun. For example, The Fall looked like an interesting game, but they rushed it when they could use that to show more competition and characters instead. If they stopped being faithful for one episode at least, they would have something more fun
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:46 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It's really bewildering to see people on social media complain that the top four teams advanced to the next round instead of the top three, and claim that it's for "stupid plot reasons". It's a sports fest/tournament arc, guys, unless they're suddenly going to go with a round robin-style tournament for the first time in shonen history, they'll need 2^n players for the "playoffs". We're not talking rocket science here.

Wait there are people complaining that 4 extra people made the final so we can have a top 16?

Has no one ever seen a normal tournament bracket(Discounting Round Robin stuff) you have to have 4,8,16,32,64,etc otherwise you'll have to have a Triple Threat at some point to re-balance to 1V1 in the final.

Maybe some people wanted to see a 1-versus-1-versus-1 competition, because they figured it'd be more frantic? I mean, there are people who tune in to BattleBots solely for the Robot Rumbles after the competition is over, where three or more bots still in working condition (or repaired back to working condition) are placed in the arena to duke it out.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
hsapin wrote:
Really glad you finally stopped complaining about the pacing, trying to condense the previous episodes wouldn't have really made any sense from a pacing standpoint, we would have ended up with something far more awkward as a result.

I´m with the episode reviewer on this one. Either the pacing is slow, or the adaptation decisions make for episodes that are 1st half talking and 2nd half action. This is the episode I think has a better sense of pace.

Yeah. He stopped complaining about the pacing because the last couple episodes have had much better pacing than the first two, IMHO.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 5:48 pm Reply with quote
The cheerleader scene was my favorite part of this episode. Anime hyper

I just love seeing people's reactions to it.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
e I just remembered that this festival was supposed to be this universe's alternative to the Olympics. This could have been an exclusively local event and not lost any of the story's weight. That's kind of how it comes across already.

not comparable at all, for starters, all the participants are from one single school so you ca hardly call it regional, even if it's the most famous school; think of it like a top university's event , so only people form the country are really interested, and maybe people form the same city, since it does not cost them as much.

I might be seeing things that do not exist there, but did they go for a kaban/bag and a cat in the game ? nice kemono reference if it was not present in the manga.
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It definitely toes the line between genuinely cute and a little eyeroll-inducing.

No, it toes the line between eyeroll-inducing and vomit-inducing. The guys get drawn out character development in this episode while the girls get reduced to being too stupid to realize that they are being tricked into cheerleading outfits. I would have been ok with it if the girls had decided to wear cheerleading outfits on their own. That's fanservice. This is outright sexism.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
Quote:
It definitely toes the line between genuinely cute and a little eyeroll-inducing.

No, it toes the line between eyeroll-inducing and vomit-inducing. The guys get drawn out character development in this episode while the girls get reduced to being too stupid to realize that they are being tricked into cheerleading outfits. I would have been ok with it if the girls had decided to wear cheerleading outfits on their own. That's fanservice. This is outright sexism.

It's a one off gag relax. Just cause an episode doesn't have development for all characters doesn't mean it's bad. Not to mention this whole joke and who she's been treated up to this point plays into an important development for Yaoyorozu down the road.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
Quote:

"The guys"? You mean the two guys, Todoroki and Izuku? Aka the main characters of the arc and series? No other male characters had any sort of development and the entire point of Mineta's screen time was to relay the gag.

Uraraka has been the main character of arcs before where she gets developed a ton. More girls are going to be main characters of various arcs, from someone who's read the manga. It was just a gag, it's fine. Admittedly I think the only real benefit was the invisible girl jokes, everything else felt kind of pointless.

There's so much more to be offended by in anime and in this season.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
gabuhaha wrote:
Quote:

"The guys"? You mean the two guys, Todoroki and Izuku? Aka the main characters of the arc and series? No other male characters had any sort of development and the entire point of Mineta's screen time was to relay the gag.

Uraraka has been the main character of arcs before where she gets developed a ton. More girls are going to be main characters of various arcs, from someone who's read the manga. It was just a gag, it's fine. Admittedly I think the only real benefit was the invisible girl jokes, everything else felt kind of pointless.

Yeah, seriously. "TRIGGERED" much?
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

It's a one off gag relax. Just cause an episode doesn't have development for all characters doesn't mean it's bad. Not to mention this whole joke and who she's been treated up to this point plays into an important development for Yaoyorozu down the road.

It wasn't about the lack of character development for other characters. That's fine. I get that. It's primarily aimed at teenage boys. Of course they are going to focus on them. It was about the reduction of individual characters to the generic stupid female. While it's a one off gag, it was an offensive one and one typically removed from mainstream shows like this when they go from manga to anime.

FireballDragon wrote:
FlowerAiko wrote:

Yeah, seriously. "TRIGGERED" much?

Defensive, much? When you can't come up with a better justification than it was just a gag, then why bother including it in a show meant to appeal to multiple demographics when it's an offensive gag? Like, I said, if they just wanted to have females jumping around in cheerleading outfits, they could have just made a cheering contest. There was no need to make all the females into one easily manipulated unit. It was out of character for the show.

I'm sure there are many other things to be offended about in anime this season but I purposefully don't watch them because I know they are not aimed at me. Whereas MHA is aiming to be a mainstream show. You want it to stay a mainstream show, you can't insult a reasonable portion of your viewing demographic. I was not the only one to be insulted by it.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
If you want to know what mainstream shows look like, you have One Piece. You can say that in-world female characters dress the way they want to; but similar to Fairy Tail, the original author clearly has a tendency to draw all female characters in the same way, and all of it looks extremely sexist and some characters are even insulting.

True, this one off gag does rely on the trope of female characters tricked by two other male just to see them in a sort of embarassing situation, and it was clearly aimed for fanservice. However, eventually none of the girls keep with the cheer leading act if they don't want to, they're just pissed that Mineta tricked Yaoyorozu (which is actually IN character of her to be naive and trusting) and got up into that situation.

I do criticize the idea slightly, but I hardly find it insulting like I do sometimes in One Piece or Fairy Tail.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
gabuhaha wrote:
There was no need to make all the females into one easily manipulated unit. It was out of character for the show.

It's been a while since I read this arc in the comic, but I am pretty sure that it was implied that Toru (the invisible girl) was very enthusiastic about the prospect of cheering, and was using Minoru's "deception" as an excuse to get the other girls to cheer with her?

It also played into the ongoing Minoru/Momo ship tease, which is very much a thing within the Japanese fanbase.

At any rate, I didn't read it as the girls being "easily manipulated", more than I read it as teenagers (of any gender) being goofballs.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
This season of MHA has been exciting visually and musically, and the action is on point. But I expected this sports festival to be more alive, to be more sportsy, to be more... tournament-y?

Look, even if I read the manga, I cannot avoid that this arc was limited on scope. Sure, this arc only matters for the main character, but Bones could've written more games for the festival, or more character development interactions, instead of being limited to "only what the manga has written".

I feel like they lost an opportunity there, and now that we're going to see various one-on-one fights, it would be a shame if instead of only using the fights that are in the manga, they show like 3 or 4 more fights. They have the director from Gundam Build Fighters, for god's sake.

Remember Naruto and Hunter x Hunter's exam arcs? I didn't beg for MHA's festival to be as large as those two arcs, but to have the same scope. Especially in Naruto, where even minor characters you wouldn't care about got on-screen, one-on-one fights.

It's something that I expect for the next chapters, but it's difficult to happen. Are you calling me heretic for begging this? Even ThatAnimeSnob, of whom I despise his anime hate boner, agrees with me.

I put this to discussion in reddit, but they treat me like a heretic. It's like "faithfulness in adaptations" has become a religion with one universal truth and no one should change it, or manga readers are tricked into thinking "it's gonna be bad if they change this or that"
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I'd say the issue with trying to expand on things too much is that unlike shows like Naruto or One Piece, MHA isn't going to continue season after season, year after year. They only plan to have 2 cours for this season, so there's going to be a finite amount of episodes and time they can fill. They can't spend episodes adding events, like for example how One Piece made more events for the Davy Back Fight arc, because then that's taking away time that's needed for actually adapting the stuff from the manga that moves the story forward.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It also played into the ongoing Minoru/Momo ship tease, which is very much a thing within the Japanese fanbase.

I don't think they're quite meant to be a ship. More like a similar character dynamic as Roshi and Bulma from early Dragon Ball. There's a more fitting ship for Momo that I feel is teased later on in the manga. spoiler[Her and Todoroki.]
GamerTimeUSA

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
I'd say the issue with trying to expand on things too much is that unlike shows like Naruto or One Piece, MHA isn't going to continue season after season, year after year. They only plan to have 2 cours for this season, so there's going to be a finite amount of episodes and time they can fill. They can't spend episodes adding events, like for example how One Piece made more events for the Davy Back Fight arc, because then that's taking away time that's needed for actually adapting the stuff from the manga that moves the story forward.

I'm hoping we actually get to see other Class A-1 fights that weren't in the manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 81