• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:13 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
Bakugo is easily one of the character with the most growth. Subtle, but constant since the show started. Ultimately he's one of the characters that cares the most about what happened during the invasion. His faces told it all. He's way more then just a hothead. He's the most popular character for a reason I guess.

Bakugo's passion to be like all might is because Bakugo wants to beat people up. Not the most inspiring.

Bakugo is the most popular character because his power and outfit look cool.

Bakugo distracted people with Kaminari because he didn't want them to see him having to pay back someone that he owed. It was about his own pride and not about pleasing others. Bakugo reached for Deku's hand because Bakugo screwed up so much that he didn't have much of a choice.

You can say that Bakugo has grown as a character because of his 'faces', but I won't attribute any growth to him until I actually see it in his actions and how he treats other people. I'm not discounting the subtle hints that he'll eventually change, but he's definitely not there yet.

I think you are being dismissive of some great character developpement for him, but it's not like I can force you to see something you don't want to see right?

Becausewe already see how his attitude changed with everyone. May it be Kirishima or All Might.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Bakugo's passion to be like all might is because Bakugo wants to beat people up. Not the most inspiring.

I will have to agree with GoldCrusader and NeverConvex that this is a very simplified way of viewing Kacchan’’s goals and admiration of All Might ^^;;; It was never about “just beating people up.” One of the biggest themes in the entire series is how Deku and Kacchan are both inspired by the same person and it drives them toward taking his place as Number One. IMO, while I think Deku embodies All Might’s ideals, Kacchan embodies All Might’s passionate spirit. .

In the Final Exam arc, remember we saw Kacchan as a child root and fanboy over All Might just like Deku does, but mostly focusing on how much All Might “wins.” So part of his aspiration to be just like All Might is his need to “win,” to be someone who can always come up on top even through the deadliest battles. Which is what drives him to be as good as he is, because if he wants to “win” like All Might then he must never lose. And yeah, it comes with a huge superiority complex as NeverConvex explained.

It’s no different from a child wanting to be Superman because Superman always wins against the bad guys and they want to win against bad guys too. It may not be the ideal hero motivation, but I feel like the Stain arc explained why basing a hero’s merit on why they became one in the first place does no one any good.

Last edited by DigitalScratch on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:41 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

I think you are being dismissive of some great character developpement for him, but it's not like I can force you to see something you don't want to see right?

Becausewe already see how his attitude changed with everyone. May it be Kirishima or All Might.

Once again it is you who is being entirely dismissive of someone else's opinions because they do not align with your own. You are more than entitled to think Bakugo has grown as a character, but others are more then entitled to disagree with that assertion and explain why. Especially without you inferring passive aggressively that they are wrong when you say you "can't force them to see what they don't want to". You've been warned about this many times. This is the last time you will be warned.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:00 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Gasero wrote:

Being 'the best' certainly involves being able to beat people up, given he wants to be the best hero, but I feel like the beating on people part is secondary to his actual goal.

I think of Bakugo as more like Endeavor than Muscular, I guess, is a short way of putting it. Not admirable, but not through-and-through irredeemable...

I'm not saying that I think Bakugo is evil. He's definitely not evil.
I'm just saying that his inspiration to be a hero seems to be in the form of being the best at beating people up, and not really anything more. Bakugo doesn't focus on compassion, heroism, empathy, or any other sentiment that would make him more respectable beyond his ability to fight. Sort of like Endeavor.

Being a great fighter is somewhat admirable, but the context that Aizawa mentioned Bakugo in the episode didn't resonate with me. Deku also challenges himself to be a better fighter, but he does it with the idea that he will use his abilities to save people. I don't think Bakugo currently has any other motivation.

GoldCrusader wrote:
In what way was I dismissing is opinion or being aggressive? That's exactly what he did and I know that he's capable of a much more better argument.

I don't think I am dismissing any of Bakugo's development. Perhaps there are hints that Bakugo will EVENTUALLY change, but I have already stated throughout this thread that when Bakugo mentions All Might, Bakugo thinks about how All Might beats people up and wins, and when Deku mentions All Might, Deku thinks about how skilled All Might is at using power to save people.

Deku and Bakugo have very different perceptions of All Might and I wish that Aizawa would have been more clear about what he was referring to when he mentioned that Deku and Bakugo inspire other students. The main person who seems to be inspired by Bakugo is Deku, other students seem to be inspired by Deku.

Last edited by Gasero on Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it's fighting per se that's his drive, but rather overcoming all obstacles and whatever odds in order to defeat evil, and (EDIT) standing as recognized at the very top of the heap of heroes in society. Fighting is of course the main way of achieving both of those things in MHA, so he becomes obsessed with being really good at beating people up, but that's not really the core of his aspiration.

I agree that that's not nearly as noble as Deku's goals, but I don't remember Aizawa speaking of Deku and Bakugo as noble figures so much as forces spurring their friends on to be better than they are. Maybe I'm misremembering Aizawa's phrasing, but I think it's pretty reasonable to say that Bakugo spurs those around him in hero class 1A to be better, though he probably does it mostly unintentionally. Certainly he pushes Deku forward.

EDIT: Although I think Aizawa's meaning was reasonable, I think I can agree that the connotation of his words was maybe a little frustrating. Lumping Bakugo and Deku together as inspiring figures does sound unabashedly positive about both of them.
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Aizawa's opinion of Midoriya and Bakugo is reasonable.
Also I do think that its suppose to be a positive statement about Both of them.

The main reason I say this is because Aizawa is their Teacher, and those two are both incomplete, developing heroes.
He's taking the long look, not just at where they are, but where they could be in the future. He's excited to see what they do, because he knows he'll be part of what they'll eventually become.

While Midoriya and Bakugo may be inspirational to some, they are both far from ideal. This is because they both have very different views of heroism which carry innate flaws which will limit their abilities.

Bakugo is very pro-active. He wants to go out, find the action and then beat up the bad guys. He might save someone in the process, but that wasn't his goal. The flaw lies in him not considering the safety of those around in the process of winning.

Midoriya is very re-active. He wants to go out and find the trouble then save the people. He might have to beat up a bad guy in the process, but that wasn't his goal. The flaw in that is that in order to save, something bad needs to happen first. You end up potentially missing an opportunity to stop something from becoming worse or even occurring.

By having these two almost diametrically opposed approaches to Heroism we, the audience, can observe and discuss the pros and cons of their actions.

While the story is mainly centered on Midoriya, I am really enjoying how they have placed Bakugo not as just an antagonist, but as a really good rival. If they could just get past their shared past baggage they could really learn from each other and be a pair of really awesome heroes.
Gasero

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 56

I enjoyed the way that Class 1-A worked together, but I'm a bit disappointed that everyone from Class 1-A passed this part of the exam and can move forward. It seems like too much of a 'happy' conclusion and I prefer that some of the students not pass so that there is more tension in the future.

However, the happy tears in my eyes say otherwise Anime cry
sweaf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't care what this so called reviewer said. This arc is obviously one of the most exciting. It's definitely important as it delved more into the classmates. The new opening is also very memorable.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:50 am Reply with quote
It would of been better if some people from A-1 had failed, it gives the event some tension. Knowing that everyone will pass deflates that, and we really do not some of them, Aoyama is practically a one note character, and this attempt at given him some just made him more annoying than before.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:26 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
It would of been better if some people from A-1 had failed, it gives the event some tension. Knowing that everyone will pass deflates that, and we really do not some of them, Aoyama is practically a one note character, and this attempt at given him some just made him more annoying than before.

How did this make him more annoying exactly?

Like seriously I don’t see how he’s somehow more annoying now.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:51 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

How would it have increased tension? How did you already know everyone would pass? And I'll ask too. How did giving character developpement to Aoyama made him more annoying?
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:21 am Reply with quote
I don't mind that everyone passed. That only becomes an issue if the story consistently fails to allow members of class 1-A or its protagonists to fail (because that would kill any sense of tension, since we'd gradually stop believing the story will ever let them fail). It's not a problem for them all to succeed sometimes.

I did think the Aoyama thing was kind've annoying, though. While it was intended to show some growth on his part, it mostly just involved him getting lucky while trying to be self-sacrificing. Would've preferred to see some material competency out've him.
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:52 am Reply with quote
If some members of Class 1-A would have failed the test, it would have given the audience more of a sense that Class 1-A may not make it through the rest of the exam. For example, if 1 or 2 members of class 1-A would have been eliminated before the ending rescue scene, there would have been a lot more tension because audience expectations would include instances of possible failure.

There's also the fact that Aizawa called this part of the exam 'the elimination of Class 1-A', and yet nobody from this Class 1-A was eliminated. Either this Class 1-A is the best Class 1-A in the history of Class 1-A, or Aizawa was stirring up drama for no reason.

I didn't mind Aoyama's sacrifice, but I would still appreciate it if Aoyama developed in a way that matured his powers beyond jokes and support actions. I don't know what that would look like, but I also don't want to see Aoyama cowering behind something in every arc.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
If some members of Class 1-A would have failed the test, it would have given the audience more of a sense that Class 1-A may not make it through the rest of the exam. For example, if 1 or 2 members of class 1-A would have been eliminated before the ending rescue scene, there would have been a lot more tension because audience expectations would include instances of possible failure.

I think this in itself becomes predictable --- if the author feels they always have to show someone failing, that takes some of the tension away because we know someone is going to fail, and there's no real question left to be answered. Better to have characters sometimes unexpectedly 'fail' (e.g. Deku not winning the tournament arc) but also have events where everyone does well than to always insist that some proportion of persons involved should fall short. That's just as artificial as having everyone always succeed all've the time!
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:10 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
Gasero wrote:
If some members of Class 1-A would have failed the test, it would have given the audience more of a sense that Class 1-A may not make it through the rest of the exam.

I think this in itself becomes predictable --- if the author feels they always have to show someone failing, that takes some of the tension away because we know someone is going to fail, and there's no real question left to be answered.

Students failing should be a typical occurrence that doesn't diminish the plot. Saying it's 'predictable' is kind of avoiding the actual issue. The sun rising in the morning is predictable, but it's also typical.

I understand what you're saying, but the test is literally designed so that the majority of students do not pass. To have all of Class 1-A pass seems like its cheating the odds in an impractical way (relatively impractical considering no other class probably did that). That's why I mentioned it would have been better to allow 1 or 2 students from class 1-A to be eliminated before all the other students rallied together to help each other pass. They are all still heroes in training and I think their overall performance should reflect that they will not always succeed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 56 of 81