• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Western Foods Are Popular In Japan?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Denny's IS everywhere, although it's basically a different restaurant than the pile of sadness we have Stateside.

I laughed entirely too hard at this.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I want these... NOW! Twisted Evil
Paiprince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Gratin is popular there too and is featured quite a bit in anime. The only kind I've ever eaten was in Japan so I can't speak how it is any different from the traditional French one.
Richard Hopkins

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
I can only imagine how depressing a Japanese Hooters must be with busty girls being few-and-far between.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Denny's IS everywhere, although it's basically a different restaurant than the pile of sadness we have Stateside.

Quote:
And while they don't always get American food right (the pizza and bagels over there tend to be very, very sad)

Why all the judgement? People enjoy different things. This is the first I'm hearing of hate on Denny's, I think it's fine, I love their hashbrown and tweets.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Richard Hopkins wrote:
I can only imagine how depressing a Japanese Hooters must be with busty girls being few-and-far between.

That sounds like a dream. Japan gets all the massive Whopper 5's and other huge burgers that really should be here. With 65% of the population of the US being overweight or obese, the market for those novelties exists here.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Richard Hopkins wrote:

"Busty" is really just a matter of opinion and personal preference.
A quick trip to Google turned up quite a few Japanese Hooters waitresses that were busty enough for me.

Fenrin wrote:
Why all the judgement? People enjoy different things. This is the first I'm hearing of hate on Denny's, I think it's fine, I love their hashbrown and tweets.

I have also never heard that kind of negative judgement about Denny's. All of them that I have visited were respectable family restaurants with decent food at reasonable prices.
Maybe it is a regional thing. Denny's is a big franchise chain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Forget Pizza Hut, Domino's is where it's at. They make American Domino's look quite pale.

The thing about hamburger/salisbury steaks is that they don't cook it as much as we do in the west. If you like your stuff rare you won't have a problem.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
A friend and I spent a week in Japan last month, and we saw McDonald's and Denny's just about everywhere. Burger Kings were less common, but there was one practically right across from one of our hotels, so we tried it out.

Go to Minami-senju station and you get all three, plus there are two 7-11's within walking distance (the 2 Lawson's are closer, but I digress).

One of the curry chains had a "Cheese In Hamburg" option for your choice of protein, which did not disappoint.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I have also never heard that kind of negative judgement about Denny's. All of them that I have visited were respectable family restaurants with decent food at reasonable prices. Maybe it is a regional thing. Denny's is a big franchise chain.

Denny's used to be very racial back in the day. Most people wouldn't want to go there not because of how bad the food is, but because they just don't want to deal with those situations, if they were to occur again. Neutral
Randamo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I reckon Japan is the best place to get pastries, cakes and all sorts of wonderful sweets of a western variety. A Japanese mix makes it different, and I always go for something with matcha in it. A matcha perfait is heavenly.

The bottom floor of Ikebukuro station or Mitsukoshi in Ginza, havens of sweetness.

Bakeries are in every major train station and people flock for sandwiches and bread. Fast food chains with burgers are everywhere, plus coffee chains like starbucks are everywhere, selling bacon and eggs, sandwiches and pancakes. Even in Japanese restaurants that sell katsudon or something, you get a western salad, which is just basic lettuce leaf and tomatoes. It's not too hard to find a cafe selling pasta.

Depending on the location you will find something more niche and exotic. I remember a mexican restaurant in Hiroshima. I remember seeing a few delis with mostly italian products.

The only thing you will have difficulty finding is grain free, no sugar places. I was on the lookout for them because I have food intolerances myself.

Japanese people do seem to love European things; and food is no exception.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Also, I really liked how most restaurants had either pictures or models of what their meals looked like on their store fronts. I wish more American places did that.

NHK has done a couple of broadcasts on the Japanese plastic food industry. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf5bQaGrNCY isn't the one I was looking for, but it's a good start. One surprise: the huge majority of Japan's plastic food is made by a couple of factories in a single small town (Gujo, in Gifu prefecture). There are even gift shops!
Sakurie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Before I went to japan I watched a few Vlogs about how "different" the beef in Mcdonalds tastes over there to Americans (I'm Australian btw). I was really surprised to find when we tried maccas in Tokyo it tasted just the same as home...because in the lid it said "100% Australian Beef!" which makes me think...what does beef in America taste like then?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:23 pm Reply with quote
^
I didn't actually try a burger in McDonald's (we only stopped in to get drinks and ended up getting the "Okinawa Pine" shakes), so I can't attest to that. In the Texas-themed place where I had an actual hamburger, though, I did think that the meat tasted distinctly different than what I'm used to in the States. Pretty sure that it was cooked differently, as it was cooked clear through but much juicier. Probably something similar to how they cook bacon (they boil it, it seemed?), I imagine.

Joe Mello wrote:
Go to Minami-senju station and you get all three, plus there are two 7-11's within walking distance (the 2 Lawson's are closer, but I digress).

Oh, geez, Lawson's were everywhere. There was even one place (Kyoto, I think) where we literally saw two Lawson's on opposite sides of a busy street from one another.

One of the yummiest things I found over there was at an Auntie Anne's Pretzels store (a fairly common American chain) in a mall in Odaiba, by the giant Gundam statue. Don't remember what they were called, exactly, but they were soft, warm pretzel sticks filled with strawberry and cream cheese. Don't think I've seen those in the States, though I also don't frequent Auntie Anne's over here, either.

Basically, if you like strawberry or peach flavoring, the whole nation is heaven. The one thing I didn't get, though, was a fascination with condensed milk-flavored ice creams.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Japanese crepes are so good, I don't understand why the rest of the world doesn't roll it up now. It's so much more efficient. I can't go back to regular crepes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8