• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Businesses Welcome Pokémon Go; Memorials Request Removal From Game

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Having Pokemon in such somber and sacred places crosses the line.
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote
DLH112 wrote:
there's a church in my town that threatened to call the police on anyone playing pokemon go there. The property has 2 pokestops and a statue right outside the church itself is a gym. One of the pokestops and the gym are unfortunately too far away from the road to get to without walking well onto the property :/ .

http://www.wfsb.com/story/32431334/newington-church-asking-pokmon-go-players-to-stay-away

There's a local church in my area that is also a gym. They set up a small table outside with a basket and the Pokemon Go logo taped to the table. The basket is filled with mini water bottles with the church's mission statement on them, and a note saying they're for Pokemon Trainers to prevent dehydration.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Pokémon GO has, for better or worse, changed social interaction in quite a huge way. Smile
As for the title occurring around memorial sites...Yes, I think Niantic needs to address the issues revolving around that...
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
That is what I find really dumb about the game. It seems poorly thought through where POIs for the game would be, and largely just seems randomness and luck.

They didn't think it through at all - they merely copied the Ingress (which is also run by Niantic) portal database. And Niantic was originally affiliated with Google, and Ingress portals were a way to gamify populating Google Maps with local points of interest. (Local businesses, parks, public art, etc...)

But Ingress is not only a much smaller game (in terms of players), it also emphasizes stealth in playing... so it hasn't caused the problems Pokemon Go has.

Anyhow, to some extent it's a tempest in a teapot. The fad will die down pretty quickly I suspect.

Oh, and Smurfs rule - toads drool. Very Happy
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Hard to believe that Pokémon Go has only been out for about a week and already it's causing problems for everyone not just players but business owners as well hell it won't be long now until Pokémon Go is a threat to national security. Rolling Eyes
jenny10-11

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
While there are legitimate complaints about people playing Pokémon in inappropriate locations or in inappropriate ways, so many of these complaints just sound like the tired old complaints brought out every time new fad comes along. "Darn kids with their iPhones and their pocky-mans, they should be involved in a proper fad, like hula-hooping or yoyoing, like they did back in my day."
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:19 am Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Well I heard the game was released ahead of schedule because some big wig gave an exact release date at a press conference without clearing it with the programmers. Looks like they've got weeks of backtracking ahead of them.

With the game already out for most of the public I don't see how they backtrack exactly.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:15 am Reply with quote
To be honest, they really should think about these things before release and have to ask any business who is hit as a pokegym for permission at the very least. I can understand it being a boost for some businesses though.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fairvilla's Sexy Things, a Florida "intimacy boutique" was baffled at the influx of players to their location, but attributed at least one $60 underwear sale to the game.

My goodness. What kind of avid Pokemon trainer would whimsically spend that amount of money on garments that nobody is going to see?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:43 am Reply with quote
^ Oh somebody's gonna see it alright. Embarassed
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:11 am Reply with quote
Sure, it can be a public nuisance, but if people will act like in this case, I don't see any reason to prevent them from being on the premise, as long as it is a public one, that it.

Kotaku wrote:
To maybe help chill things out, last night someone was there handing out drinks and sausage sandwiches (Australians love some sausage-in-bread), while Sydney’s Pokémon Go Facebook group is doing a good job of policing some of the fallout.
(Emphasis added, link in original)
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
I wholeheartedly agree that the Holocaust Museum is not a place for Pokemon Go. People should really have some respect and know not to go there, but, America, so. Hopefully it will be removed from the game soon. I feel bad for the people who monitor the gym and have to see these people disrespect the area.

If people feel they can benefit from going somewhere and doing something inappropriate, as long as they know they won't get in trouble, someone will try it. This is particularly so with something like Pokémon Go, which is aimed at kids, who might not yet be aware of what's respectful and what isn't.

Kougeru wrote:
This sounds fake, or like a really ignorant player. That's not how the game works at all. The game gives you a very generous radius to grab Pokemon and such. If I stood in my backyard, I could almost reach the houses across my street and the houses across the street from the house behind me (2 full streets, basically). There's absolutely no reason for anyone to need to go into any buildings except large ones like Malls or big Churches.

Secondly, you can disable AR. But even with AR on, as soon as you're in the large range I mentioned, you click the Pokemon and they will spawn within feet of you. You might have to spin around a bit, but you generally dont need to move at all from that position. So it being "on your keyboard" is a BS excuse. At worst he could've just disabled AR and it would've remained on his screen at all times, even if he drove hundreds of feet away (I play with AR off while in shotgun seat...I grab pokemon while on-the-move all the time).

If that is the case, then the fault lies on the parent for not knowing how it works and for spoiling the kid rotten. I see a LOT of parents like that, who will try to do everything their kids ask for without question. The child is always right.

I think anyone who works in the service sector for long enough will encounter people who, even if they are in the wrong, will not take no for an answer, and will stop at nothing to get what they want.

Calsolum wrote:
I suspect it's kids and adults who move their hands dramatically or start raising their voices going '' yes! Caught it! Dammit just one more shake!'' Etc.

This is how I identify people running around with the game, and how I glean information on distribution of gyms and Poké Spots: There are a lot, and I mean a LOT, of people playing this, with a wide age range, who are quite vocal, even when by themselves.

A couple of days ago, for instance, I was in a store getting some soda and a person who was pursuing a Pokémon almost bumped into me. When I returned to work, I heard kids in the parking lot talking about how they found a Pokémon somewhere around the corner. When I went to Wienerschnitzel later that day, there was a family huddled around the son's smartphone on the table next to me, and overhearing them, they said there were two Poké Spots in the restaurant.

This is all in the same day. Pokémon Go players are either absurdly common or unusually talkative.

jenny10-11 wrote:
While there are legitimate complaints about people playing Pokémon in inappropriate locations or in inappropriate ways, so many of these complaints just sound like the tired old complaints brought out every time new fad comes along. "Darn kids with their iPhones and their pocky-mans, they should be involved in a proper fad, like hula-hooping or yoyoing, like they did back in my day."

More like going to church, playing sports, or listening to Aerosmith. This is, of course, if they're even aware of Pokémon Go in the first place. Otherwise, they may be completely clueless as to what these "pidgees" these kids are talking about in the first place.

As I'm in a hobby dominated by people in their 50s or older, that's the pattern I notice: It takes a lot for them to even be aware of what's popular with kids these days (some of them think AC/DC still tops the charts--I'm not even kidding), and when they do, many of them are too confused to say anything about it. These are the people who are confused why food trucks are so popular, for instance, as they associate them with bad-tasting slop comparable to school cafeterias.
Harima

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:52 am Reply with quote
Here is a good article on the interesting connections of the game developers that are never reported in the main stream media:

https://www.corbettreport.com/the-cias-pokemon-go-app-is-doing-what-the-patriot-act-cant/

Last edited by Harima on Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Sure, it can be a public nuisance, but if people will act like in this case I don't see any reason to prevent them from being on the premise, as long as it is a public one, that it.)
Did you mean not act like that because screaming and disturbing the peace during the middle of the night shouldn't be encouraged.

The game is already coming under fire by groups like PETA and BlackLivesMatter for promoting animal cruelty and racism. You can already find individual articles about how it promotes rape culture as well because it gives people an excuse to make casual conversation with you in public. I think we've only seen the beginning of these articles.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:20 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
People should get over it. If the stop is there, people are going to go there.

Are you refereing to private shops or extreme public history areas, like The Holocaust Museum or war memorials?

Because it is NOT OK to whip your smartphone out and start playing whatever game you may want in a place like the latter, and even in the former respect the shop owners decision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3