• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Guilty Crown BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeBlur

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Why is the first opening so great? The singer's voice is very rough and the song clearly requires someone with a smoother and lighter voice. I am not saying her voice is awful, in fact she nailed it with the second ending of Magi, but for My Dearest it's just off.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Overall, these problems suggest that the series may have been originally conceived for 24-26 episodes but had to get pared down to 22 in production.

Honestly, I felt like the show was supposed to be 12-14 and got extended. It felt like a reasonably tight show for the first half, but it started to feel like the plot was getting to stream-of-conscious levels of unpreparedness.

This is not to say the show is bad; it's a hot mess, but it's not terrible. Shu ended up feeling incredibly realistic in that his character maintained a consistent level of naivete throughout the series. He was dumb and pliable and I felt at the time that was what a normal, everyday person would do when thrown into such a fantastic situation.

Another fun benefit of this show is that it shows what happens when you lust for Hatsune Miku, which feels appropriate considering this was a supercell joint.
RANGIT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
Almost none of the songs sung in the series are dubbed, but this was apparently not by Funimation's choice; a message on the discs indicates that they were contractually obligated to leave certain songs alone.

I made a post about this (in more detail) back in the NO-RIN review thread, but now that there's a Guilty Crown home video review, I think it's only appropriate to have it here.

Here's the message in case anyone is wondering:
FUNimation wrote:
The songs “Euterpe” and “Departures ~ Anata ni Okura Ai no Uta” are provided courtesy of Aniplex Inc. In accordance with the wishes of our Licensors, the English audio track features EGOIST’s original Japanese recordings of the aforementioned songs. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation as we continually strive to preserve the artistic integrity of all our properties.

And here's a confirmation that some songs got recorded, but were not included.
Alexis Tipton wrote:

I really liked how the English dub made the characters a little more round than they originally were. They have a little more personality in the dub and I think were easier to relate to. Doesn't change the show much, but it helped a bit in my opinion.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:
This is one of my favorite series. I just really thought it screwed up at the end. It needed one more episode because it completely rushed it's conclusion just so they could show that little epilogue.. which I didn't like very much, myself.

I find way too many anime do this. Never mind the fact that most anime don't even have conclusions... just open ended for a possible future series. But when we do get a show that has an actual plot that concludes at the end... a lot of the conclusions seem tacked on and unfitting of the build up. There are only a rare few shows that have excellent conclusions.

I quoted myself here. Reason being because I received a rather... odd PM related to it. I want to post it here though, considering the circumstances and that it isn't off topic.

djfajfljswj wrote:
Anime does not have some inherent habit of ending badly more often that not; countless anime have exceptionally well-executed finales that do justice to all that came before them. You're just an ignorant shit stain on the community idiotically spouting inane falsities with limited, lacking experience on what you speak. Doubtless your own experience with bad endings comes from you only watching shit anime; that much is clear from the fact the decidedly laughable trainwreck that is Guilty Crown is one of your favorite series.

Shut the f**k up, educate yourself, and get some taste before you spout such inane bullshit again. Permaleaving this fake account, this is our last contact. My facts win, your bullshit loses, deal with it.

I don't even want to make any arguments because of how perfectly hilarious this is. However, if the person who wrote that wants to man up and identify themselves, I'll gladly have a civil discussion with you. Very Happy
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:16 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

I don't even want to make any arguments because of how perfectly hilarious this is. However, if the person who wrote that wants to man up and identify themselves, I'll gladly have a civil discussion with you. Very Happy

I don't know what's worst the pettiness of the PM or pointlessness of the whole thing.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r, there's a certain idiot who's been pulling that stunt from time to time over the last 3-4 years. We ban him, but he periodically pops up again and fires off garbage like that. Just ignore him.

EDIT:
BladeBlur wrote:
Why is the first opening so great? The singer's voice is very rough and the song clearly requires someone with a smoother and lighter voice. I am not saying her voice is awful, in fact she nailed it with the second ending of Magi, but for My Dearest it's just off.

For whatever reason, I actually like that rough sound on that song. Makes it more distinctive and memorable.

Besides, everything else about the song was great, too. Remember, Madonna didn't become one of the biggest pop icons of the last 35 years because she could sing good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:36 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
For whatever reason, I actually like that rough sound on that song. Makes it more distinctive and memorable.

Besides, everything else about the song was great, too. Remember, Madonna didn't become one of the biggest pop icons of the last 35 years because she could sing good.

Good music for me is kind of "know it when I hear it," but I can cosign that both openings for the show were great. I've even seen a PV for "Everlasting Guilty Crown" that was pretty dope. Ryo didn't cut his teeth in the early days of Vocaloid fandom for nothing.
DuchessBianca

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:46 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r wrote:

Awwww wheres my nonsensical angry pm saying nasty things to me? My comment was even more glowing then yours! Haha Sorry you had to get something like that though, that person should look in a mirror though.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:

Awwww wheres my nonsensical angry pm saying nasty things to me? My comment was even more glowing then yours! Haha Sorry you had to get something like that though, that person should look in a mirror though.

Don't worry, I'm sure he'll get to you eventually. Then you can join the club. Wink
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:06 am Reply with quote
I saw the dub/sub versions and I really like almost any role I hear Alexis in (though my favorite is Musubi). Can someone tell me why this show had a lot of criticism and why the title is called that?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
The title refers to the name of the protagonist's power. It is probably also intended as a metaphor for the power effectively making the wielder a ruler, though at the expense of his "subjects" (i.e., the people he draws Voids from).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:39 am Reply with quote
Returning to the forums really quickly just to tell you that you spelled "Gai"'s name as "Guy" multiple times throughout the review. And it would be cool if that's the localized name, but you specifically write "Gai" as "Gai" in the beginning of the review. Just maybe choose one spelling of the name? ^^; I think it is Gai...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3